SAOD 20" 6.5 scores on a SC whitetail buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SAOD 20" 6.5 scores on a SC whitetail buck

The shot was broadside through the lungs at 45 yards using an EOtech 512 with a handloaded Amax 123 over 27.7 gr of 8208. The exit wound was 3/4" and the deer piled up inside 25 yards from the hit.
    Attached Files

Looks like a winner, congrats!

Comment

• Captain Nick

As a newbie 6.5 shooter, all I've fired through my gun is Hornady 123 grain AMAX factory loads. Now that I retired from the PD and I have to actually PAY for my own ammo, it's time to bust out the reloading press and associated gear, which has been in mothballs for 32 years, and buy some dies for this caliber. It's also clear, from what I've seen on this forum and others, is that Hornady's claim that the AMAX is not for hunting seems a bit off the mark! I've been shooting 168 grain AMAX TAP through my .308 sniper rifles for years and I would have no hesitation plugging a deer with it.

Comment

• Drifter
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Well done sir. Cool pics.
        Drifter

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

I'd hesitate to shoot an elk with the 123 Amax, but for deer and smaller, it will do the job just fine.

I do wonder about it on pigs, though!

Comment

That is an awesome post sir. With an Eotech at that. That little 1 MOA center dot is pretty nifty, ain't it. Beautiful pics!

Comment

Meat in the freezer and another plug for SAOD and the A-Max. That was one tough deer to keep moving after that hit - Congrat's!

Comment

• gunrestorer

Looks good congrats. I hope to do the same next week.

Comment

Well done Parallex. Beautiful animal and nice shooting! At 45 yards you picked the right optic for the job.

Comment

Parallax - congratulations!

Comment

• luvnar
                      Unwashed
                      • Jul 2013

I use the same barrel on an Adams Arms piston set up. My phone fried so I lost my pics but 120 hornady amax I had one head shot last year and one lunger. When I gutted the lunger there must have been a 5 gal bucket of blood poured out and the opposite rib cage looked like 175gr bullet splattered against it. That lung shot got about 35 yds. I just worked up two awesome loads for that barrel. One is a 140 smk ill deer hunt with this year. Check out my post in preferred loads.

Comment

Working...
                      X