hunting rigs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hunting rigs

Hey y'all. I thought it would be cool to check out everyones hunting rigs. What vehicle you use for hunting, what you carry while in the field, how you harvest animals, stuff like that.

Being an avid off roader i started building a truck specifically for hunting. I carry three knives with me everywhere i go, bone saw, food for 24 hours, weapon, ammo, flash light, side arm, and a few other items.

What do y'all take? What kind of vehicle? What do you pack?

LT.
  • Von Gruff
    Chieftain
    • Apr 2012

I am heading away for the day tomorrow to an area I chase rabbits in the morning and goats in the afternoon.
    Toyota Landcruiser will carry me and my gear which is simple in that rifle and ammo, and standing tripod with knife and pack for the rabbits then rifle and ammo with Stoney Point sitting height detached bipod, knife and hockstraps, for the goats. Have rangefinder and camera in side pockets but that is about it. Carry abiout the same for deer as I do for the goats but it is minimal gear type hunts. May have a few extra's in the truck but dont get carried away with 'stuff'.
    http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
    Acts 4:10-12

Comment

Originally posted by Von Gruff View Post
      I am heading away for the day tomorrow to an area I chase rabbits in the morning and goats in the afternoon.
      Toyota Landcruiser will carry me and my gear which is simple in that rifle and ammo, and standing tripod with knife and pack for the rabbits then rifle and ammo with Stoney Point sitting height detached bipod, knife and hockstraps, for the goats. Have rangefinder and camera in side pockets but that is about it. Carry abiout the same for deer as I do for the goats but it is minimal gear type hunts. May have a few extra's in the truck but dont get carried away with 'stuff'.
      A land cruiser! That is one of two trucks i learned to drive in. I have a real soft spot for them. I would love to see a picture of it.

LT.

Comment

• Von Gruff
        Chieftain
        • Apr 2012

Dont have a better pic just now. It is the swb version and slightly civilised but it gets me where I need to go. Will get one tomorrow when we are in a suitable location in the hills.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

I really like the setting. Guns, beautiful out doors, and a four wheel drive. Perfect!

I built a 1977 Dodge Power Wagon step side just for hunting. Rebuilt from the ground up.

LT.
          Last edited by Guest; 11-29-2012, 05:49 AM.

Comment

• gunrestorer

Really like the stock on your rifle, nice chunk of wood. I do restoration work on firearms for a living and love good wood.

Comment

• Von Gruff
              Chieftain
              • Apr 2012

Originally posted by gunrestorer View Post
              Really like the stock on your rifle, nice chunk of wood. I do restoration work on firearms for a living and love good wood.
              It is a nice piece of NZ Walnut and is on my 404 Jeffery. I took lots of enjoyable time getting it there from the blank.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

Beautiful Von Gruff!

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2012

As the President of the I-hate-wood-furniture-on-weapons society...I find that absolutely hypnotic. That really is gorgeous sir. : )

Comment

Originally posted by Von Gruff View Post
                    It is a nice piece of NZ Walnut and is on my 404 Jeffery. I took lots of enjoyable time getting it there from the blank.

Wow! Check out the color variations on the grain. Absolutely beautiful! Fantastic job.

LT.

Comment

• Von Gruff
                      Chieftain
                      • Apr 2012

I also did this for my 7x57 thinking it would be my do everything riufle untill I decided on the 6.5. A blank fron the same tree. Skeletonised my own pattern into the steel buttplate and a few other one-off features.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• Von Gruff
                        Chieftain
                        • Apr 2012

Back to hunting rigs though and as said earlier I was away for a hunt yesterday and had a good run on the rabbits with about 30 in the 3 hours I was on the lowland hill. Then we headed up into the high country to look for a goat but while none were to be seen it was still a great day out and a favourite place for my wife and I to have a picnic lunch during the afternoon. Anything less than a good 4WD will not get into here with much of it in the 3-5mph because of the track conditions with rock and rutts and the odd little creek with reasonable ground clearance needed.
                        This is one of the places we drive round and hunt down into the bluff system shown here It is about 1200 yds down to the creek and the bluffs run for about 3000yds to the other end where it opens out into a basin about 2500yds across.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

Beautiful rifle at top, and beautiful country underneath. How the heck do you recover the animals?

Comment

• Von Gruff
                            Chieftain
                            • Apr 2012

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                            Beautiful rifle at top, and beautiful country underneath. How the heck do you recover the animals?
                            Time and lots of effort. This is a previous hunt

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

Hunting buggie for Florida wet weather.
                              Last edited by Guest; 12-19-2012, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X