• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GeneKay
    Unwashed
    • Mar 2024

Build my own or get a complete gun?

Deciding about picking up a 6.5G for a multi purpose, low weight, low recoil AR to use in Florida. 95% for hunting hogs and deer under 200yds. Possible coyote in the future out to <500. The other 5% will be shooting at the range with the kids, but most of that will be done with my super heavy Colt sporter Hbar since the ammo is much more affordable.
    Doubt i will ever go to a 1000yd range, so thinking I can get away with a much shorter barrel to save weight. Any suggestions on how short to go without losing too much accuracy. Also what type of weight before mag and optics can I expect without breaking the bank. Any suggestions on trigger or other options that I might not be familiar with? Not new to the gun game, but back into it after living most of my life in NJ with their stricter gun laws. Any help will be greatly appreciated with this...
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

What tools do you have for the AR-15 upper receiver and barrel installation?

Do you have a vice? Barrel nut wrench? A way to hold the upper in the vice without metal-on-metal contact with the receiver?

If you already have basic upper receiver assembly tools, then I lean to DIY.

If not, I lean to either a complete AR or buy a complete upper and complete or DIY lower.

I do a lot of things to ensure reliability, smooth feeding of brass without damaging it, and optimum accuracy/precision.

I generally order quality barrels and bolts from known people in the industry, as well as known quantities for my receivers, LPKs, and triggers.

All my Grendels but 1 were built by me.

They all run reliably and shoot very well with most factory ammo and my hand loads.

I’ve been chasing the formula for what makes them tic since 2009, on top of 22yrs of experience with AR-15s prior to that.

After all that, I will say that my complete LaRue 18” Stealth 2.0 is really fun to shoot compared to the others, mainly because of the Tranquilo brake on it and how smooth the BCG runs inside of the upper. It feels like one solid piece of a rifle as well.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Konocti's Wigwam
      Warrior
      • Sep 2023

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post

Do you have a vice? Barrel nut wrench? A way to hold the upper in the vice without metal-on-metal contact with the receiver?

I agree with LRRPF, and do the same. The problem with working on and building even an AR requires the proper wrenches to be able to torque to a specific tension. Otherwise you'll be destroying some of your parts as you learn that.

There are two types of jigs, one for uppers and one for lowers. Then you need the wrench for the buffer tube castle nut, and you'll need a torque wrench(es). You need a ft lbs and really need an inch pounds.

Not trying to shy you away, just that a fair amount of tools are required to build a safe, reliable firearm.

After all that, I will say that my complete LaRue 18” Stealth 2.0 is really fun to shoot compared to the others, mainly because of the Tranquilo brake on it and how smooth the BCG runs inside of the upper. It feels like one solid piece of a rifle as well.
      I don't have a lot of experience with 6.5 Grendel, but was using a 30 cal brake. You must be using a 30 cal also. I know that works and I was using similar, but I just got one of the 6.5 ultraslim brakes from SixFiveOutfitters and anxious to try it out at the range. What's your experience between 30 cal (i.e., 7.62x51) and 6.5mm brakes?

Or is there a different reason? Brake design?
      From my cold dead endmill...

Comment

• GeneKay
        Unwashed
        • Mar 2024

If not, I lean to either a complete AR or buy a complete upper and complete or DIY lower.

I do a lot of things to ensure reliability, smooth feeding of brass without damaging it, and optimum accuracy/precision.

I generally order quality barrels and bolts from known people in the industry, as well as known quantities for my receivers, LPKs, and triggers.

All my Grendels but 1 were built by me.

They all run reliably and shoot very well with most factory ammo and my hand loads.

I’ve been chasing the formula for what makes them tic since 2009, on top of 22yrs of experience with AR-15s prior to that.

I have none of the above. Looks like it will be complete uppers and lowers, a complete rifle, or have a gunsmith near me do the build.
        Just trying to find a lightweight affordable option. Larue seems to only offer the 6.5G in their new black and tan model but $2500 seems steep to me.
        Was hoping to stay below 2K and edge closer to $1500. Maybe I'm 6-7yrs too late for those prices?

Comment

• GeneKay
          Unwashed
          • Mar 2024

Originally posted by Konocti's Wigwam View Post
          I agree with LRRPF, and do the same. The problem with working on and building even an AR requires the proper wrenches to be able to torque to a specific tension. Otherwise you'll be destroying some of your parts as you learn that.

There are two types of jigs, one for uppers and one for lowers. Then you need the wrench for the buffer tube castle nut, and you'll need a torque wrench(es). You need a ft lbs and really need an inch pounds.

Not trying to shy you away, just that a fair amount of tools are required to build a safe, reliable firearm.
          I appreciate all the info. I'm sure if I aquired all the tools for the job, I would be able to put together a great gun. That being said, I'm not ready for that right now. Maybe in the near future though

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by GeneKay View Post

I have none of the above. Looks like it will be complete uppers and lowers, a complete rifle, or have a gunsmith near me do the build.
            Just trying to find a lightweight affordable option. Larue seems to only offer the 6.5G in their new black and tan model but $2500 seems steep to me.
            Was hoping to stay below 2K and edge closer to $1500. Maybe I'm 6-7yrs too late for those prices?
            Check the EE here for deals on complete uppers or firearms. There have been some good options over the years to choose from.

The PF 12” Billet receiver set Grendel in the EE right now would be a premium option.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Konocti's Wigwam
              Warrior
              • Sep 2023

Gene,

I think most of us were like that at some point. It's nice to have a rifle vise/stand to work on, I have one of the inexpensive Tiptons.

I can't seem to add the link, but search for Tipton Gun Vise, MidwayUSA has it as 661120330448.

I had 2 torque wrenches 3/8" and 1/2" that does ft lbs., and bought a Wheeler in lb. torque wrench, which is invaluable for doing this work.

Most of it is small reasonably priced tools that can be done on a workbench, so you can acquire them over time, just that you will need $400-$500 worth of tools before it's done. Just like everything else, there's different tools needed to work on a bolt action. Building an actual bolt action receiver is not so easy. ARs are good to start with as you don't need that many machines. I can fart out an AR lower on a drill press in a couple hours if I needed to. They're not even challenging. 1911s are much more challenging, requiring some unique tooling. I'm not sure if Browning was a genius or an idiot savant, seems there's some type of fine line between the two...

Botton line is that ARs are pretty simple to work on, and most anyone with even a small amount of skill can accomplish it.
              Last edited by Konocti's Wigwam; 03-12-2024, 08:06 PM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

An AR-15 lower receiver is easy to assemble and all you need is a hammer and a punch. There are numerous videos on assembling an AR-15. Blunt Force Trauma is this site’s administrator and has his own online store. At one time he offered to assemble an AR-15 upper for a reasonable price. I couldn’t find mention of this currently but you could always use the contact info. BFT has very competitive prices and I’ve been very satisfied with products I’ve purchased. The online store name is 6.5 Outfitters but he is changing the name to Rexus.

There are numerous threads on this forum discussing new assembled uppers in 6.5 Grendel. I wouldn’t buy one of the very cheap uppers as it is really luck of the draw and not worth the gamble in my opinion. I suggest you look at Ballistic Advantage or Faxon as they have decent products. The barrel is the heart of an AR-15 and if you have someone assemble an upper for you buy the best barrel you can afford. Barrel, trigger and optic are what determine a rifles potential. Another great source is the private sales on this forum where you can find a good upper for the price.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 03-15-2024, 11:09 PM.

Comment

• Konocti's Wigwam
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2023

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
                  At one time he offered to assemble an AR-15 upper for a reasonable price.
                  Yes, he still does.

FWIW, the most difficult thing to assemble on the lower is the detents and springs, I have no idea how many I have lost...LOL (buy extras!)

EDIT: On the AR-15 there are 3 detents, one for the safety which the spring resides in the side of the handle, and there is one for the front takedown pin and one for the rear takedown pin. The AR-10/LR-308 simplify the rear takedown pin by adding a set screw type pin that holds the detent and spring in...that one is easy to bend the spring with the cover that goes under the castle nut on the rear.

Alan
                  Last edited by Konocti's Wigwam; 03-13-2024, 09:45 PM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

For the detents and springs, I use the pivot pin installation tool, or you can use a .250” Clevis pin with a hole drilled through the shaft.

I just put the clevis pin through the pivot pin bosses, align the hole with the detent and spring channel, drop the spring and detent into it, push a punch down on them and rotate to captivate the detent and spring.

Then insert the pivot pin as you displace the clevis pin and voila, you’re done. Way too easy.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Konocti's Wigwam
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2023

For the detents and springs, I use the pivot pin installation tool
                      Laugh at me if you will, but I've lost springs and detents using the tool. Last week I was able to find the detent, but not the spring, no idea where it went in by my bench.

For several years I didn't have a lot of tools and lost a number of those detents, the worst being the front clevis. There used to be a guy on YT named Scootch, and I think it was his channel where I was using a zip loc over the front of the lower when doing that so it would catch the detent and spring...even so, I didn't have a bag last week and was using the tool, but the tool I have is slightly different.

This is to say, most people can't get all the tools they need and/or need to get the stuff together. MidwayUSA has the AR Stoner parts kit that has 2 of each, springs, pins, detents, etc...

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2017

doesn't Leadstar make a Helium model AR that's about 4.5 lbs? sure would like to try one of those but sadly I'm in the communist chinada location north of you lucky sob's

Comment

• Koda
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jun 2023

Any suggestions on how short to go without losing too much accuracy.
                          Barrel length wont affect accuracy, barrel quality and build quality will. Get the best you can afford if you want accuracy.

Comment

Working...
                          X