• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

First Hogs With Hornady's New ELD-VT 100 gr. Factory Ammo

The 3rd part of this video, starting at 6:36 is where I am using the ELD-VT ammo.

I am not unimpressed with the results so far. I only recovered 2 bullets after going through and checking all of the hogs for metal. So I am getting a lot of pass throughs on these smaller hogs, which is not unexpected. From the two that were recovered, one was fragmented and the other was not, although it had lost considerable weight.

Of the fragments recovered, you would think I was shooting two different types of bullets. One fragment is obviously the lead core base of a cup and core bullet. The other fragment loosed to be from a bullet where the lead is fused to the copper jacket.

Hopefully, on my next outing, I will get into more single boars and get to make some particular shots to see how the ELD-VTs will perform.

Here is the video. There is a link at the end (end screen) to the AnalySus video that shows a bit more of the blood and guts.
    Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 03-16-2024, 02:06 AM.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • Konocti's Wigwam
    Warrior
    • Sep 2023

Damn, only 5 with no fetuses...a bad night for you!
    From my cold dead endmill...

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2013

I know, right! If it wasn't for the fetuses, I might as well go home and let the population get a little healthier.

Comment

• Timitus
        Bloodstained
        • Dec 2022

Thanks for the video with the new ammo. I look forward to more videos and further reports on that ammo.

Comment

• Konocti's Wigwam
          Warrior
          • Sep 2023

Well, I'd say tonights video left us hanging on ELD-VT, seemed you connected 2 or 3 times and Ben connected once possibly...but that hog kept going.

What was the accuracy like at the range on a target, did you try them?
          From my cold dead endmill...

Comment

• EastTNHunter
            Warrior
            • Jul 2021

The Dude and I watched that one the other night. That bullet really intrigues me. It’s kinda a scenar meets v max meets eldm

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2013

What was the accuracy like at the range on a target, did you try them?
              I don't waste a lot of time or ammo on shooting for groups. Why? I do the ammo a disservice when I try and it gets expensive when I retry. If after I make my adjustments for xero (@100 yds), if I can a shoot couple of shots that hit where I am aiming, I figure I am good to go hunt.

Velocity, as it turns out, is quite a bit slower that I expected, but it is apparently about right for the barrel difference (Hornady 24" test barrel vs. my 18" Bartlein) and so their 2730 fps came out to 2584 fps (about 25 fps per inch loss).

Managed to shoot 2 more boars on the next hunt, but the hunt went poorly. Both hogs were farther distance shots @ 180+ yards, but should not have been a problem, but we managed both situations into problems. The first hog was hit and I tracked it into the woods, only to be surprised by it crawling under the trees and blasting it, pretty well ruining any chance of wound analysis. As for bullet analysis, they are coming apart. My guess is that when the polymer tip is pushed back through the air cavity and opening the jacket, the jacket tears off/open randomly with jagged tentacles as the polymer tip smashes into the core and it starts to flatten. Sometimes the core separates from the cup and sometimes not. That is my impression so far.

The second hog we opted not to let me blast and we shot it in a large, open and well grazed field. We heard two impacts and watched the hog run until it disappeared behind a tank dam. It has 300-400 yards to run to get to the neighbor's property and it managed to do that. So no recovery.

Comment

Working...
              X