• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

4 Boars Down w/ Hornady ELD-VT 100 Factory Ammo

This was a really fun hunt and so I ran the set uncut. There are times when speed matters and times when patience matters and this was the latter and it really seemed to pay off. It helped tremendously that this hogs did not seem familiar with the concept of being hunted.

No necropsy stuff for this or the last hunt. Hopefully I will get around to it. Basically as noted in the video, the ELD-VT 100s are breaking up, at or very soon after impact, leaving pieces in the wound channel at various points, with a piece or pieces often exiting after at much as 15". They seem to do alright on hogs. What troubles me, maybe without just cause, is how they are coming apart. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it based on what I am seeing. Jacket fragments range from tiny splinters to what looks to be about 1/2 the total jacket. Lead fragments vary in size as well, but not nearly so much.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • sundowner
    Chieftain
    • Nov 2017

Great video Brian , looks like the bullets are putting them down and performing like a varmint bullet .

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

I like that Sir Killsalot...!

And the Herr Schweiner-morder-heimer-hammerer...!!!

Herr Machen-dem-on-der-grunzen-floppen...!!!!!! hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!
      Last edited by grayfox; 04-01-2024, 08:29 PM.
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• sundowner
        Chieftain
        • Nov 2017

Brian how many profiles can you put in , my ATN scopes let you put in up to 5 profiles ?

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by sundowner View Post
          Great video Brian , looks like the bullets are putting them down and performing like a varmint bullet .
          Indeed. I don't think them to be anything particularly amazing for my needs, but they do seem like capable bullets.

Comment

• JASmith
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2014

It sounds like they perform as advertised - open early and create lots of havoc on varmints as the "V" in 100 gr ELD-VT suggests.

After all, aren't these hogs merely rather large and tough varmints?
            shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
            -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• gwtx
              Warrior
              • Feb 2019

Great video and shooting Brian. Made it look so easy. Thank you for the entertainment, I check for a new post every night. Gary
              When a man's ways please the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                Chieftain
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
                It sounds like they perform as advertised - open early and create lots of havoc on varmints as the "V" in 100 gr ELD-VT suggests.

After all, aren't these hogs merely rather large and tough varmints?
                Given that a varmint is defined as an animal pest, then yeah, hog are merely large and tough varmints.

Some varmint bullets are better than others on the large and tough varmints, LOL!

Comment

• JASmith
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post

Given that a varmint is defined as an animal pest, then yeah, hog are merely large and tough varmints.

Some varmint bullets are better than others on the large and tough varmints, LOL!
                  You bet'cha!
                  shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                  -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2017

excellent, matching sd, construction, impact velocity....for game intended....is a subjective art form

reason why guys who used the right formula 'match A-Max' so successfully on big game and then the 'barnes' crowd is happy collecting their game on the neighbours property lol, some think they need as much insurance as possible, others try it all and figure it out for themselves, keep up the good work, you've produced a great body of work, lots of answers in there if you know how to read the subject brail that is terminal ballistics

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                      Chieftain
                      • Sep 2013

Absolutely! Everybody has their own idea of what they want from a bullet in how it performs, both the bullet itself and in the damage it causes. I don't care what the purported design intent was on the bullet or how it is being marketed. All I care about is what happens down range with it. Some people will like the performance and choose to use it. Some people will opt not to use it. That is part of the fun of seeing what they will do.

Comment

Working...
                      X