Varmint Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Varmint Shooting

I got into the Grendel to make extended range shots on prairie dogs. In my previous hunts we ended up trying shots with AR15s in 223 at 600 to 800 yards. For the most part I was pleased with the success we had. However, good enough is never good enough. Right now I am getting good accuracy with the 123gr. Hornady AMAX ammo. There seems to be little to no expansion on prairie dog equivalent media. Is there a bullet available that will give the required accuracy and great expansion?
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

The 95gr V-max might be worth considering. Higher velocity will offset its lower BC (compared to the 123gr A-max) to some degree regarding trajectory, but it will likely get pushed around more by the wind.

Run the ballistics to check velocities at the distances you intend to shoot, and compare drift to your 223 loads to get an idea of how a particular Grendel load might perform. Sufficient speed will be needed to provide good expansion. 800 yards might be stretching it for reliable expansion from a Grendel, but not sure how much expansion is really needed on pdogs.
    Drifter

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
      Warrior
      • Oct 2012

Sierra makes an 85 grain as well. I seriously doubt the increased velocity in that one will compensate for comparatively miserable ballistics against 123 though in this pill. But, if you were shooting nearer fare it might be a good option.

Comment

• hobbesgunner

Had good luck with 108 and 123 Scenar's on woodchucks ......never had to track one anyhow. .....any expansion on a rat sized animal might be a moot point....unless yer lookin to really blow' em up...I had some 90 or 95 gr Speer's one time that had a huge hollow point cavity..only cut paper with them but I bet they woulda blew up real good on a chuck...

Comment

• babaganoush
          Warrior
          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Hafast View Post
          I got into the Grendel to make extended range shots on prairie dogs. In my previous hunts we ended up trying shots with AR15s in 223 at 600 to 800 yards. For the most part I was pleased with the success we had. However, good enough is never good enough. Right now I am getting good accuracy with the 123gr. Hornady AMAX ammo. There seems to be little to no expansion on prairie dog equivalent media. Is there a bullet available that will give the required accuracy and great expansion?
          What's your muzzle velocity? With 168 Amax's running 2700 fps in my .308, I would get complete annihilation to at least 700 yards. I haven't yet been out with my 6.5, except to do the preliminary load work up. It's running just over 2600fps, so I'm interested in your results.

David
          "A problem thoroughly understood is always fairly simple. Found your opinions on facts, not prejudices. We know too many things that are not true."

Charles F. Kettering

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
            Warrior
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by hobbesgunner View Post
            Had good luck with 108 and 123 Scenar's on woodchucks ......never had to track one anyhow. .....any expansion on a rat sized animal might be a moot point....unless yer lookin to really blow' em up...I had some 90 or 95 gr Speer's one time that had a huge hollow point cavity..only cut paper with them but I bet they woulda blew up real good on a chuck...
            I think that is the effect he is looking for.

Comment

KentuckyBudda is a very perceptive person. The gyrations of a prairie dog well hit with a bullet that expands well adds tremendously to the pucker factor of this activity. In my 223 ARs the Nosler 69gr is impressive, but only to 350 to 400 yards.

Comment

Same reason I went with the Grendel. We shoot 22-250's with Nosler Ballistic Tips. So, I have some 100 grain in the grendel waiting their turn. With the NBT on prairie dogs to 600 yards it almost always puts on a good show.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

I've shot the 85 & 100 grain Sierra Varmint bullets plus the 90 grain TNT, 95 V-Max and 100 grain Nosler BT in my 16" J&T. They have all shot 1 inch or less in my 1:9 twist chrome moly barrel. I have shot water jugs with the 85 & 100 grain Sierra along with the 100 grain Nosler BT. The Nosler expands but stays together better than the Sierra Varmints. I shot a water melon with the 100 grain Nosler BT and the melon exhibited a major come apart. I'd hate to think what it would do to a ground hog or coyote. A friend used the 85 grain Sierra Varmint bullets in a 264 Win Mag back in the 60's & 70's when their was a bounty on ground hogs. I'd hate to guess how many ground hogs he took at 500 yards or less with that bullet. He also used the 85 grain Sierra on a couple of prairie dog hunts.

Comment

Hafast - Sounds like we may need to get together for some inside out prairie dogs soon.

Comment

• hobbesgunner

Originally posted by KentuckyBuddha View Post
                      I think that is the effect he is looking for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3S4Fl3180g
                      Now that's just plain gratuitous violence. .
                      I use a 308 Rem police rifle with 125 gr. Nos BT's for that effect on chucks.....Phooosh !!!

Comment

Working...
                      X