The smallest and possibly closest deer by a Grendel so far.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buck2732
    Warrior
    • Feb 2012

The smallest and possibly closest deer by a Grendel so far.

I set off last night at 19:30 to go to my high seat. After a quick look around the land that I have permission to shoot over seeing nowt but rabbits, I quickly walked to the oak tree the seat is up against. The high seat is the only way to get a safe shot here as the land is flat being on the margins of the fens.

After getting myself settled in I waited for the crows behind me to quieten down, they did this after 20mins or so. The rabbits where quicker as they are used to people walking along the track I had used. The farmer has a lot of young wheat at the moment and is being hammered by them, hares and the Muntjac on his land. I was after the deer last night. So I had to let then be.

After an hour or so watching rabbits and hares feeding their bellies, I spotted a fox about 200m away coming down the track towards me and three, three quarter grown rabbits (unusually the farmer wishes that I leave the foxes), these it spooked about 75m in front of me. They ran towards my seat and stopped, sitting on their back legs in open ground looking for source of the noise that made them run.

While I was watching the fox stalk these rabbits that voice in my head said look left (does anyone else get that?). As I slowly turned my head about 200m away a shadow left the cover of the dyke behind me. A quick look through my binos it was a Reeves Muntjac (our smallest deer). I could not believe my luck she turned right and started down the track towards me, stopping every ten paces or so to nibble at something.

When she got to 125m ish I slipped off the safety on the CZ. Tried to control the nerves as she turned left and broad side on (first deer with this rifle and first deer for over two years on this land). I would like to say I squeezed the shot off and down she went... Alas it was not to be, the round struck the ground between the front and rear legs and she took off into the field.

Bugger said I, and reloaded just on the off chance she might show again. Well she did after two mins or so, 50m to my right and very skittish not stopping heading back toward the safety of the woods to my left. She was moving so fast and getting so close tracking her through the scope was nigh on impossible (yeah I forgot the scope was set on x10).

She was following a set of tractor tracks down the field which turned left towards me. This is where I was able to pick her up again. By this time she was so close I was half crouched in the seat trying to look down on her. I gave her a quiet bark she stopped long enough to send the round on it's way she shuddered and fell. A quick reload and wait five mins. I was down the seat and checking her pupil for a touch response nothing. So a short thank you prayer to the hunting gods and I have broken my duck on this land and rifle.

Rifle CZ527 in 6.5 Grendel
    Ammo Home load 129SST at a chronoed 2450fps
    Range 9 steps (I only have short legs as well)
    Time of day 21:45
    Entry on her shoulder
    DSCN1891.jpg
    Exit 1
    DSCN1893.jpg
    Blood spray
    DSCN1892.jpg
    Exit 2 the knife is 3.5 inches
    DSCN1894.jpg
    Buck2732

"You will know you are in a nuclear attack by the bright flash, loud explosion, widespread destruction, intense heat, strong winds and the rising of a mushroom cloud".

"I have no idea what weapons will be used in the next world war... but I do know that world war 4 will be fought with sticks and stones". A Einstein.

PER ARDUA
  • Gamecock84

Nice kill.

So you're able to have that gun and a suppressor in the UK? Not bad.

Ryan

Comment

• montana
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

When she got to 125m ish I slipped off the safety on the CZ. Tried to control the nerves as she turned left and broad side on (first deer with this rifle and first deer for over two years on this land). I would like to say I squeezed the shot off and down she went... Alas it was not to be, the round struck the ground between the front and rear legs and she took off into the field.

We call that buck fever, every hunter expediences this at one point or another.

While I was watching the fox stalk these rabbits that voice in my head said look left (does anyone else get that?).

Yes, you may have caught movement in the corner of your eye or you have that sixth sense that all hunters and prey seem to have.
      Great pictures and story, thank's for sharing.
      Last edited by montana; 06-06-2013, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Nicely done sir. And a classic hunt story.

Comment

• Ridgerider

Having a suppressor in Europe is considered being courteous to your neighbor and believe you can have as many as you want or it used to be
          Last edited by Guest; 06-06-2013, 02:26 PM. Reason: added more

Comment

• Buck2732
            Warrior
            • Feb 2012

GC84 Yup we can own firearms and moderators both on our licence. We can not have semi autos over .22lr or pistols, both things we have lost in my life time.
            Ridgerider, not quite true have to be wpn specific and only one per wpn. These are on our licences.
            Everyone else thanks for your comments.
            Buck2732

"You will know you are in a nuclear attack by the bright flash, loud explosion, widespread destruction, intense heat, strong winds and the rising of a mushroom cloud".

"I have no idea what weapons will be used in the next world war... but I do know that world war 4 will be fought with sticks and stones". A Einstein.

PER ARDUA

Comment

• Gamecock84

Good deal Buck!

Comment

Congrats on your harvest. I really enjoyed your write-up and your pics. Thanks

Comment

• jawbone
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2012

great story, Buck. however, that exit wound in pic 2 looks like she was hit with a .50 cal!

Comment

• sneaky one
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Nice harvest Buck, Are they -Gamey tasting? How do you prepare the meat?

It's universal-when in ready to shoot mode=you lose some hearing, adrenaline runs rampant, all your other senses come alive-even if you were just nodding off in the stand, maybe even dreaming a bit.

That's why we love hunting so much, it relates us to what our ancestors went thru-spears, rocks ,etc/ to bring home the protein source. Enjoy the connection to our planet.

Comment

About how big are they? Weight pounds nit metric please! Lol. Nice shooting.

Comment

• Buck2732
                        Warrior
                        • Feb 2012

Mav714- 10 seconds of google-fu gets http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reeves's_muntjac lol
                        Buck2732

PER ARDUA

Comment

• Gamecock84

22-40lbs! Wow I wouldn't have guessed that without some sort of scale in pic. Smallest doe whitetail I have killed was around 100lbs. Still good job and I am sure delicious meat.

Comment

• Buck2732
                            Warrior
                            • Feb 2012

I tried to show scale with the rifle. Yes they are good eating if you have ever had hare then you will get the idea. I plan on making jerky with some of her. As in the thread title the smallest deer.

I also have fallow on the permission but these are out of season at the moment which are far larger. We have the occasional "red" transiting through as well. They can get up to 22 stone.
                            Buck2732

PER ARDUA

Comment

• 81police
                              Warrior
                              • Feb 2013

congrats on the hunt. Great pictures I love seeing the shooting sports and hunting alive in the UK!
                              John 11:25-26

Comment

Working...
                              X