Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StoneTower

Originally posted by CoolBarrelBill View Post
    I used Barnes 100gr TTSX on this Hog and it was DRT.

If you don't mind telling...What was the load behind the Barnes 100gr TTSX? I am going hog hunting in about 4 weeks and have yet to work up the load for the Barnes 100gr TTSX. I will be hunting in Southern CA so it will be a NO LEAD ZONE. My normal deer load will not be legal to use.

Where did you hit the hog and did the bullet exit?

Thanks,

David

Comment

• CoolBarrelBill

I used 30.5 gr H335 I hit it a few inches behind the shoulder and kind of high. You can see the exit wound in the picture. The shot was about 125 or 150 yards.

Comment

On the last hog trip I loaded with Barnes 120gr TSX bullets out of a 22" barrel. Bang, flop, dead.

In about 2 weeks, I'm going with a 16" upper (lighter) and since the velocity will be lower, I opted for the 120gr TTSX. In retrospect, I should have gone with the lighter 100gr TTSX, but I think these will do fine.

A buddy just got back from a night time nightvision-equipped hog hunting trip in Texas and he said that they were using .556 ARs with great effect, so any Grendel load should be fine on hogs.

I'm also going to southern California, so lead bullets are out.

--Rootshot

Comment

• StoneTower

Originally posted by CoolBarrelBill View Post
          I used 30.5 gr H335 I hit it a few inches behind the shoulder and kind of high. You can see the exit wound in the picture. The shot was about 125 or 150 yards.
          What kind of internal damage did you see? Did you take out the lungs or spine? The heart is low in hogs. Did the hog drop on the spot or how did it go down?

I hope I do as well in a few weeks.

Good job,

David

Comment

• longdayjake

I have found that I can get the same results from 28 grains of AA2230 as some are getting with 30-31 grains of h335. I have yet to try some more powder in the case but I am pretty sure that I could probably safely beat h335 velocities. Im not sure about accuracy though.

Comment

• CoolBarrelBill

Originally posted by StoneTower View Post
              What kind of internal damage did you see? Did you take out the lungs or spine? The heart is low in hogs. Did the hog drop on the spot or how did it go down?

I hope I do as well in a few weeks.

Good job,

David
              It did not go more than a few feet. I did not skin it so I do not know how much internal damage there was.

Comment

• Selph Arms LLC

Last edited by Guest; 05-07-2011, 07:19 PM. Reason: Forgot to put barrel length

Comment

300 yards on the run is a nice shot Brad. Had a friend tell me that Nosler 120 was a good bullet. Guess i'll have to try it.

Comment

• Stormrider

Good Shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Whelenon View Post
                      I plan on using the 129 SST for whitetail, are you using factory or reloads?
                      Using hand loads...... 30.3 WW 748 w/ CCI 450.....but that is my load..... 18" 1/8 twist

Comment

• Selph Arms LLC

i am going to try some Hornady 110gr V-MAX next; i used some in my 300 Blackout and the results where wild. I was skinning the pig after i shot her in the neck 3-5" behind the neck; when i got to the head i started to cut and noticed 3" of the spine was vaporised. I love this bullet!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rootshot View Post
                          On the last hog trip I loaded with Barnes 120gr TSX bullets out of a 22" barrel. Bang, flop, dead.

In about 2 weeks, I'm going with a 16" upper (lighter) and since the velocity will be lower, I opted for the 120gr TTSX. In retrospect, I should have gone with the lighter 100gr TTSX, but I think these will do fine.

A buddy just got back from a night time nightvision-equipped hog hunting trip in Texas and he said that they were using .556 ARs with great effect, so any Grendel load should be fine on hogs.

I'm also going to southern California, so lead bullets are out.

--Rootshot
                          Well, we got back from the hunt. I shot a 120lb boar. Just like last time, it was "bang, flop, dead". The 120gr Barnes TTSX penetrated behind the right shoulder, expanded, and passed clear out of the left shoulder. I was able to push these bullets to 2425 fps out of the 16" barrel.

The 16" AA Tactical upper was on a lower with an A2 stock. If you plan on carrying a rifle all day, I can strongly recommend Slogan Outdoors slings (http://www.sloganoutdoors.com/). These things will not slip off your shoulder!

--Rootshot

Comment

How big of hogs are you killing with the Vmax? I'd almost be hesitant to shoot a huge hog with a light skinned varmint bullet. I use Barnes TSX/TTSX and I've never had anything go more than 2ft. Not sure how good one of the lighter Berger VLD hunting bullets would work for you.

Comment

Seems like it does not take special ammo to do it.

My friends have killed hogs with a 22mag. let alone using a 5.56, .308 or .270 and of course 12 gauge slugs on a shotgun equipped with a red dot.

They would drive the property at night and blast them from the bed of the truck, they had a seat on a swivel with safety harness/roll cage and had to be careful they did not shoot too many to fit in the refrigerated trailer they had.

The butchered and processed the meat with the help of volunteers and fed those less fortunate.

I go back to my usual assessment that shot placement trumps all.

Comment

Guess I was thinking more of actually being on the ground with them and wanting to drop a big one before it tried to eat my uh acorns!!. I've seen some of the bigger hogs out here in Calif. take hits that mostly pissed them off.

Comment

Working...
                                X