Which Varmit Bullets for Hogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a SFC that used to hunt them on Ft. Benning with a .45acp on foot and alone.

He was really really good at it.

He said it sharpened his pistol skills.

Bill grew up in Arkansas and knew how to deal with hogs.

Comment

That would be good for pistol practice. Some guys out here hunt them with spears at night. I use to carry a 45ACP when on night patrols in the boonies over at Camp Roberts. There's a lot of hogs there but luckily never ran into one. My own 45 would've caused all kinds of paperwork..
      I've just seen some big hogs 450+ lb's. Always heard stories how tough they were.

Comment

Glane,

I bet that no matter what you fed the 6.5/300 WSM, it would woop up on them piggies like a Godsmack from the sky...

LRRPF52

Comment

I'm going to have to travel over the hill here and find a big one to test it on!! I've heard there's very good hog hunting over in Tehama/Butte Counties so that's not far from me..
          Greg

Comment

since this thread is all about hogs or varmits light loads I'll say this. For a light varmit load (read cheap) I like 100 grain hornadys soft points with somting more than 30.5 grains of blc (2). I dont consider a 300 lb hog with a armour/cartilage plate over his chest a varmit; for those I like a 120 gr lead tipped hunting bullet Remington Sierras ect. If your good enough to ALWAYS hit a moving feeding hog (with his head down) in the ear you dont need a centerfire rifle at all. For big hogs I chose somthing that has a SD > .250 and is hard enough to penetrate deeply even if I loose somthing in BC ond it is only capable of shooting .5 moa. Good hunting and remember the little pigs re better tasting

Comment

Ballistic Insight on Hogs

I'm with hm2 clark in not considering large hogs varmints. I also believe the most important part of shooting is bullet placement.
              These videos may be of interest to this topic.

Cheers, Will
              Last edited by Guest; 07-12-2011, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X