• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toolsofthetrade
    Warrior
    • May 2011

Narrowing down bullet choice for Deer/Elk

Ok I have narrowed my bullet choice down to 2 for my next loading for deer/elk.
    As a qualifier I will be using this for deer at most ranges and elk only at closer ranges (200yds and under or so due to minimum velocity requirements). I will be shooting this out of my 20" custom built with BHW barrel (1-9 twist) AR.
    So which bullet would you choose and why?
    please share your experiences if you have them.
    Also in the Barnes would you go with the 120 or 100gr
    Nosler is either 100 or 125.
    Nosler Partition
    0%
    Barnes TSX
    0%

I would go with he 123 AMAX on deer, it works great and is CHEAP.

I would use a partition, the TSX or 129 SST for the Elk depending on pricing

Comment

• rasp65
      Warrior
      • Mar 2011

This year I am going with the 100 TTSX for deer. If I ever get another moose permit I will go with the 120 TSX. I have used partition bullets on deer in the past but did not like all the lead fragments that ended up in the meat.
      Last edited by rasp65; 06-29-2011, 06:55 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

• cokecounty

I am sure these are both fine choices but I have hunted the last three seasons with the 129g SST. Granted I have not expirimented much with other rounds. My Les Baer build liked this AA ammo the best at the range and it has performed admirably since on West Texas deer and hogs. All have been bang/flops at a variety of ranges.

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
          Warrior
          • May 2011

Are you using factory ammo with the sst? What is the twist on you're barrel? Anyone have some load data for the 129's? Hornady doesn't seem to think the 129's will work in my 1-9 twist barrel.

Comment

• BjornF16
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2011

129sst

Rec'd the below direct from Accurate Powders regarding Hornady 129SST (I had worked up to 26.0 grains of A-2230 with no pressure signs, I settled on 25.5 grains for accuracy):

and RS-X-Terminator is slightly faster burning than A-2520.
            We suggest the following.
            Caliber: 6.5 Grendel.
            Barrel length

Bullet weight: 129 grains.

NOTES:

2.If at all possible, measure the velocity and correlate with our data.

I chrono'd 2275 fps at 26.0 grains; 2250 fps at 25.5 grains. For comparison, I had AA factory 129SST at 2375 fps but had very poor accuracy (1.5 MOA). The 25.5 grain load was .5 MOA in my AA Grendel Entry 19.5 (standard barrel).

LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
            Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
              Warrior
              • May 2011

Interesting....do you know what the velocity threshold is for the sst?

Comment

Originally posted by toolsofthetrade View Post
                Are you using factory ammo with the sst? What is the twist on you're barrel? Anyone have some load data for the 129's? Hornady doesn't seem to think the 129's will work in my 1-9 twist barrel.
                Nah, the 129gr SSTs don't work in a 1:9 barrel... LOL

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
                  Warrior
                  • May 2011

here is the response I got from Hornady today on the velocity thresholds for the SST and Inter bond bullets:
                  "The SST (Super Shock Tip) bullets are made to open up fast and give high shocking energy for quick kills. They open at lower velocities around 1500 fps impact.
                  The InterBond bullets will open twice the diameter and need about 1600 fps to open out to twice the diameter.
                  They retain 80 to 90 percent of original weight for penetration.
                  "
                  I have had better luck accuracy wise with the inter bond bullets in my .300 so maybe I will check those out for the Grendel as well.

Comment

• skyfish
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2011

I voted for the Nosler, but I am with above. I think the SST/Interbond is a very good choice as well. In the ranges that you talk about, 125 Partition or the Hornady would be my choices.

With the Grendel velocities my 1st choice would be the SST, although I would not go through the front shoulder on a elk with a 6.5mm. That would be with any 6.5. Actually, I usually avoid that shot anyway.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

My son in law has a 22 inch LW bull barrel 6.5 Grendel and he likes the 129 SST with BLC2 powder for accuracy. He hasn't chronographed his load and I have Nosler 125 grain partitions and 100 grain Barnes TSX to load. Seeing that the velocity can be lower with the SST I might have to pick up a couple boxes of those to try. I have a 16" 1 in 9 twist barrel and I have been pleased with the accuracy of the few 100 grain bullets I've shot. I've also loaded a few 120 grain Sierra Pro hunters and some 120 grain Nosler hunting BT but haven't shot any game with them yet.
                      Last edited by VASCAR2; 06-30-2011, 07:37 PM.

Comment

You won't be sorry about SST in any size, they shoot well and put things down in a hurry

Comment

I shot a doe with my SST load in the target on Page 1 last year. She was quartering towards me, and it went in at the front of the near ribcage, jellied her lungs, and exited the rearward ribs on the far side. That's almost 2 feet of penetration. It hit bone going in and bone coming out and left about a 3" hole on the exit wound. I'll shoot the next one a bit lower so I get a better blood trail, but she only ran 50 yards and piled up in an open field. I have no doubts that the SST will put a big bull elk down with a proper neck or vitals shot. Stay away from the shoulder shot. Double lungs and he's gonna die quick.

Comment

I've had good luck with the 200gr SST in my 338 Federal DPMS LR-308.

Comment

• CoolBarrelBill

Barnes

Comment

Working...
                              X