First Trip Out With Grenny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Trip Out With Grenny

Been homebound sick the past week and being cooped up in the house finally got to me. At first I started out just going to drive around and do some scouting for coyotes, of course I had to bring Grenny and the snow camo with. I tried to get to and area where I had seen coyotes across the lake area I like to hunt. Of course the only person at home back there is anti hunting and he used several foul words to encourage me to leave his property. Next I headed to the other side of the lake where there is a very primitive access. I had been in and out of there before I got sick but we have had some very windy weather. The first quarter mile wasn't bad, but all of a sudden I felt the truck go up where it should still be going down hill............. then the truck dropped through a snow drift. This is not unusual but the fact that I immediately started pushing snow with the bumper, now thats not good. That damn snow drift was well over knee high (and I'm 6'2") and hard as hell. I was able to keep moving back and forth for about six feet just not enough to free myself from all the snow under the truck. About fifteen minutes and some creative freelance work with the scoop shovel and I was free.
    So I had to find another spot which isn't real hard around here. I strapped on the snowshoes and headed out to find a spot to call. After being sick and the scoop shovel work I only made it about 200 yards before I called it quits. I set the call out and sat down in the knee deep snow, it worked pretty good for a blind. After about 20 minutes I heard what I am pretty sure was a coyote way off in the distance. I kept calling and could here the neighborhood dogs barking from far to near. I caught a glimpse of something going through the brush but could not tell what it was. I caught a couple more glimpses before the sun finally faded. As I walked back to the truck the moon cast my shadow across the snow.
    Attached Files
Working...
X