X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toolsofthetrade
    Warrior
    • May 2011

I do like the 105 interbond from sneaky, has preformed very well for me.

I think it has a lot of potential, wish I had more of them to play with.
    I have also had good luck with the 100gr ttsx, and am waiting on some new gmx variants as well from sneaky
    Last edited by toolsofthetrade; 03-04-2014, 11:14 AM.

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
      Warrior
      • May 2011

Have to dig back through my notes but at 100yds penetration in h20 was pretty good as well

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
        Warrior
        • May 2011

Wasnt as impressed with the custom accubonds
        Last edited by toolsofthetrade; 03-04-2014, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by toolsofthetrade View Post

I do like the 105 interbond from sneaky, has preformed very well for me.
          Those nice petals makes it look like the manufacturer partially slit the nose in addition to bonding to create those nice petals.

Comment

rickOshay,
            I was once an avid duck hunter, had a collection of recovered bands, participated in Duck Unlimited restorations projects, but the lead ban drove me out of the game. The steel shot caused to many cripples, destroyed fine shotgun barrels and so forth. Things have changed and I actually choose because I want to, not because I have to, non toxic shot for my turkey hunting. The Hevi-Shot 3 1/2" 12ga Magnum Blend loads shoots so well out of my turkey gun that I gladly pay the $7 per round. I usually shoot less than a dozen a year so the expense is inconsequential.
            Move to the rifle, I've used monolithic bullets now for 30 years or so, in the beginning they had a lot of problems but they are pretty good now, save use at long range. So, to answer your question, if I had to use non toxic bullets, I would just change my tactics to preclude long range shots. After all, I hunt with a muzzle loader, and shot gun slug or my bow, when the law dictates and the 6.5 shooting a mon bullet will outdo any of those.

Bob
            Last edited by Guest; 03-04-2014, 01:13 PM.

Comment

• sneaky one
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

RS sent me some 108's, can't find the lil buggers-wife must be involved. I based the 105 Gmx I made up & sent him on that design. I'll get him in here soon.

k280 is sending a dozen to me , of the ABLR units. Tools , and a few were testing the lighter 130, old design accus. 3-4 yrs. ago-we ended up with a tic better wt. recovery using the InterB. Tho.

Hopefully the new AccuB is of better lead composition. The last one, did not hold a candle to the IB.
              The frontal design of the IB , as it is -is not condusive to a shortened unit=it would need a re design, I have that here, waiting also.

Not to change the thread, main idea- yet if any of you have a lighter wt. idea on the ABLR- in a slightly lighter wt., post it up, or pm me. Gmx , also.

There is a few of us that will be involved in & on the next few projects., based upon this thread. It's go time. I can't wait for the gel test movie!

I should have taken wound pics this past hunt season, -it was a bit gory for a Many. Blade asked me not to., as I take pics of everything now. In hindsight, this lighter bullet wt. would have described it all for us- as to the effectiveness of lite pills-short range. Lead free.

I have 7 deer that died using my 6.5 Gmx pills, 90-100 gr. -1 with a 110 gr. .308 cal. Rs has 2 , using the 105 Gmx.

I used to hold fast on the concept of , the pass thru- always, using my 7mm Rem mag., at short range=it became a joke. We had to track.

All the energy went out the exit hole.
              Yes slow, & heavy has it's place. Yet not with the Grr in Monolthic units. For the mid range shots that most of us take. Go lighter.
              Sorry for my lack of past =no pics on the kills. The 90---105 grn. Gilding metal bruiser is almost as tuff as steel,,
              Lets try agreeing upon this idea firstly, If I can show Hanka, and a few others of the bullet =the lighter GMX., it will sell the pill. Been there, tried that=killed that also.
              Last edited by sneaky one; 03-04-2014, 11:49 PM.

Comment

• explorecaves

Would love to see those pictures Sneaky. Maybe those will finally convince my dad that heavier isn't always better when it comes to the grendel. Feel free to PM me a link I can view them through or an email I should contact you with.

Comment

Originally posted by explorecaves View Post
                  Would love to see those pictures Sneaky. Maybe those will finally convince my dad that heavier isn't always better when it comes to the grendel. Feel free to PM me a link I can view them through or an email I should contact you with.
                  Look at the gel-tests shown in Volume 2 of the Reloading Handbook. If I recall correctly, the deepest penetrator were also the lightest bullets (100 gr TTSX) with the exception of the 120 gr TTSX.

Comment

• explorecaves

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
                    Look at the gel-tests shown in Volume 2 of the Reloading Handbook. If I recall correctly, the deepest penetrator were also the lightest bullets (100 gr TTSX) with the exception of the 120 gr TTSX.
                    Noted that when I first got Vol II. But my dad is still of the opinion that heavier is always better hence the request for those pictures. My dad is primarily a .308 bolt guy and is coming around to the grendel but still wants to try to use 130's on up in it if he can...

Comment

I can relate. My dad use a 0.375 Ackley Improve Magnum for rabbits and deer.

He used to tease my Uncle over his use of the "needlebore" .264 Win Magnum.

Guess who harvested the most game?

Your Dad might be happy with the 123 gr SST. He would probably like the 129 gr SST. He might even be OK with the 125 gr Partition.

Comment

It sounds like your trying for something akin to a 250-3000 savage. Then putting a better bullet on it. Sounds good.

Comment

Originally posted by hm2 clark View Post
                          It sounds like your trying for something akin to a 250-3000 savage. Then putting a better bullet on it. Sounds good.
                          I had to check Ammoguide.com for what the 250-3000 does even though I have seen the cartridge in many discussions.

It appears that the Grendel and the 250-3000 ballistics are very similar. Might explain why the Grendel is so popular with knowledgeable hunters!

We'll see how it all plays out!

Comment

• explorecaves

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
                            I can relate. My dad use a 0.375 Ackley Improve Magnum for rabbits and deer.

He used to tease my Uncle over his use of the "needlebore" .264 Win Magnum.

Guess who harvested the most game?

Your Dad might be happy with the 123 gr SST. He would probably like the 129 gr SST. He might even be OK with the 125 gr Partition.
                            Still building our grendels, but he seems to be dead set on the barnes 120gr…. Still trying to convince him to give the 100 gr a look.

Comment

Nothin' wrong with the 120 gr TTSX -- it really penetrated in the gel tests. The only challenge is that the bullet won't go very far before it drops below the likely 2,000 fps threshold for reliable expansion.

Do you think he might be interested in the 123 gr SST? It should do well for even the biggest deer out to past 400 yards.

Yeah, I know it isn't a 'lightweight' bullet but sometimes other factors weigh in -- including those odd occasions when letting the Woukiee win is a prudent path!

Comment

Originally posted by hm2 clark View Post
                                Yep. Similar velocity and bullet diameter, it was called the ideal deer cartridge for decades. The main difference is the 25s have a 10 twist at best limiting bullet length. Despite the bullet length limitation many .257 100 g hunting bullets have BTs and have better BCs than our mostly flat based 6.5mm 100s.

BTW the 250 Savage (and many 257 Roberts) does it's best work with 100 g bullets.

Just use the 108 Scenar profile or the 123 A-MAX or 129 ABLR nose and tail profile, give it the toughness of the 120 BT, 123 SST or ABLR and give 6.5mm shooters what almost all other calibers have. Lower SD bullets with a decent BC and tough enough to exit shoulders. They could still be cheap to produce.

Since we going for speed and lighter weight the monos really shine. Barnes makes many light for caliber TTSXs but the BCs are low because of the relief grooves, I'd settle for a 85-90 g LRX. Or a lighter GMX.

The E-tips don't have grooves so it's tougher to send through the lands, they should drill a small HP past the gilding copper bearing surface to lower pressures and have the best of all monos. Less fouling, low chamber pressure and a high BC.

Comment

Working...
                                X