X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by 338jdj View Post
    Shot this buck at 220 yds. the upper was built by SSK Industries. I have bought several barrels from them and all I can say is JD is top notch
    Very nice! Nice wide rack!

Welcome to the Grendel Hordes!

Comment

338jdj,

Welcome. What are the specs on your AR in the picture? What bullet/powder/brass did you use and so forth?

Comment

AR is a SSK Industries upper with 18 in. shilen barrel, with a muzzle brake...I know it don't need it, but I like it. My favorite hunting load so far is 120 Gr. Barnes TTSX, 27.8 gr. of TAC, with a CCI B4 primer using Lapua Brass. I like the Nolser bullets just haven't killed a deer with it to see the effects.

That group IS 5 shots.

before I put the Ace stock on. I have the hogue rubber grip, also using SSK's scope rings,LaRue QD LT 101 riser, Burris FF II Tact olive drab scope....couldn't stop myself with the scope...$400+ new in box, and I paid less than $100...sometimes a blind hog does find an acorn.
        Last edited by Guest; 09-16-2011, 11:39 AM.

Comment

That will be a nice mount. Like your buck and your Gren!

Comment

Very nice, sir! Didn't know you had the blended brake with ports-cool. What is your preferred method of carry while riding the 4-Wheeler? I prefer a quick-adjust 2-point sling on the back with muzzle down if the barrel is short enough, but your pipe is a bit longer than a carbine. How did you score the glass at that price?

Comment

6.5Grendel 100 yds.jpg

3 shot group with my 18" AA bbl at 100yds using 120gr Remington PP bulk bullets and TAC
              Sorry, wrong rifle..See post below..
              Last edited by Guest; 09-22-2011, 05:02 PM.

Comment

That is amazing horizontal spread, and the vertical ain't too shabby either. How many fliers is the nickel covering? Ss-ss-ss-ss-ss-ss-ss-ss
                Dare you print some 5-rounders...

Comment

• pinzgauer
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by glane5910 View Post
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]446[/ATTACH]

3 shot group with my 18" AA bbl at 100yds using 120gr Remington PP bulk bullets and TAC
                  Glane, it's a shame you'll never get that AA barrel to group like you could if you modified the chamber, shortened the headspace, used special elf powder to break it in, etc.

I'm consistently amazed at how well Grendel shoots without exotic treatments! RP power points to boot!

Comment

Originally posted by pinzgauer View Post
                    Glane, it's a shame you'll never get that AA barrel to group like you could if you modified the chamber, shortened the headspace, used special elf powder to break it in, etc.

I'm consistently amazed at how well Grendel shoots without exotic treatments! RP power points to boot!
                    No doubt...

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                      Very nice, sir! Didn't know you had the blended brake with ports-cool. What is your preferred method of carry while riding the 4-Wheeler? I prefer a quick-adjust 2-point sling on the back with muzzle down if the barrel is short enough, but your pipe is a bit longer than a carbine. How did you score the glass at that price?
                      I use the Vickers combat sling and just cinch it up across my chest. well the scope...Sportsman's warehouse went out of business in Southaven MS. they sold everything..even the mounted animals. I had a hundred dollar gift card and it was half off regular price. If I remember correctly I believe I gave $106 after tax.

Comment

Both the VTAC and Vicker's slings came from the same group of guys, where 2-point quick-adjust slings dominate the field. They make awesome shooting slings too. You got an amazing deal on the glass. That's too bad Sportsman's went out of business near you. I didn't know they were hurting, as they are pretty busy here in the Salt Lake Valley...Cabella's too. They are major go-to places. They have had problems with some douchebag who comes in there and slashes $200 backpacks with a palm-mounted razor or something. He was relentless for a while. I suspect animal rights > human rights activists at play.

Comment

• bwaites
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                          Both the VTAC and Vicker's slings came from the same group of guys, where 2-point quick-adjust slings dominate the field. They make awesome shooting slings too. You got an amazing deal on the glass. That's too bad Sportsman's went out of business near you. I didn't know they were hurting, as they are pretty busy here in the Salt Lake Valley...Cabella's too. They are major go-to places. They have had problems with some douchebag who comes in there and slashes $200 backpacks with a palm-mounted razor or something. He was relentless for a while. I suspect animal rights > human rights activists at play.
                          Sportsmans expanded too fast, and ended up selling or closing all but their core business in Utah/Idaho and maybe Nevada. This happened about 18 months ago if I remember right.

Comment

6.5Grendel target.jpg

Ok, I feel pretty dumb right now(and I didn't have to fess up). That target was from my 6.5/300 WSM I just built. Was using 120gr Privi HPBT cheapo to sight in the rifle. Here's the Grendel group..Not bad for no sling and just a front bag. Scope is Leupold Mark AR 4-12.
                            Last edited by Guest; 09-22-2011, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Sportsman still has a nice store in Reno.

Comment

• bwaites
                                • Mar 2011

Just checked their site, and it looks like they kept some stores open that I thought they had closed. There used to be one in TriCities and Spokane, both were sold to a Canadian company, but the one in Puyallup is still open.

There are others in other states, too, including California, so the reorganization/sales must have allowed them to keep more stores than people thought they would.

Comment

Working...
                                X