• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Popeye212
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2018

Originally posted by HowaGrendel View Post
    260 and 6.5 are basically the same....why test 2 rounds that are basically identical.....
    They are not that close Remington developed the .260 as hunting round the Creedmoor was developed for long range competition. AT least from what I read and the Creedmoor accepts heavier bullets without using compressed loads.

Comment

• dobrodan
      Bloodstained
      • Feb 2014

Last Spring, USSOCOM undertook a study of 6.5 family cartridges to determine a path forward for Precision Intermediate Caliber Ammunition. Over the last yea ...

6.5 Creedmoor adopted.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
        Administrator
        • Feb 2011

Couldn't have happened to a nicer cartridge.

Money quote from report: "As both cartridges were similarly accurate and reliable, the determining factor for selection of 65CM would end up being trade space. The prevailing attitude is that there was more room with the 65CM to further develop projectiles and loads."
        :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• stanc
          Banned
          • Apr 2011

Looking forward to seeing the SOCOM Assault Machine Gun in 6.5 CM.

Comment

• tangodown
            Bloodstained
            • Apr 2018

So what's wrong with BAD News AR in 300 win mag or 300 ultra? They even make a 338 Lupua in a AR platform.

Comment

• jwynn481
              Bloodstained
              • Feb 2018

im not buying the 260 is too expensive to shoot, i have one in AR10 and ammo is 20-25$ for hornady match ammo which according to midwayusa is the same price as 6.5cm hornady match ammo. I believe it comes down to personal preference. In my opinion the creedmoor is like crossfit, once you try it you can't stop talking about it.

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by jwynn481 View Post
                im not buying the 260 is too expensive to shoot, i have one in AR10 and ammo is 20-25$ for hornady match ammo which according to midwayusa is the same price as 6.5cm hornady match ammo. I believe it comes down to personal preference. In my opinion the creedmoor is like crossfit, once you try it you can't stop talking about it.
                jw:

Where did you get the idea that a decision was made based on cost? I didn't see anything in the link about cost.

LR55

Comment

• jwynn481
                  Bloodstained
                  • Feb 2018

I didn’t think the decision was based on cost. Having read some previous posts talking about the cost of 260rem being too high this was my rebuttal. The CM gives you more options due to the case being shorter, makes sense why it was chosen.

Comment

• LR1955
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by jwynn481 View Post
                    I didn’t think the decision was based on cost. Having read some previous posts talking about the cost of 260rem being too high this was my rebuttal. The CM gives you more options due to the case being shorter, makes sense why it was chosen.
                    jw:

Rog -- got it and thanks. Was wondering if I had missed something.

LR55

Comment

• mpd61
                      Unwashed
                      • Apr 2018

The 6.5 Creedmoor is probably the Marketing success of this century.......................Ho-Hum

Remember the Hooplah about 6.8 SPC (and 6.5 Grendel outperformed it)?
                      6.5-284, .260 Remington, 6.5x55 Swede, 6.5 Rem mag, .264 Win mag, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 PRC..................Thank Heaven the 6.5 Creedmoor finally showed up to put us all on the path to salvation

Comment

• stanc
                        Banned
                        • Apr 2011

Program update, including a few slides from the 2018 NDIA Armaments meeting: http://soldiersystems.net/2018/05/10...zation-update/
                        Last edited by stanc; 05-11-2018, 11:34 PM.

Comment

• bj139
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2017

It's funny how the sweet spot always leads back to 6.5mm.

Comment

• stanc
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                            It's funny how the sweet spot always leads back to 6.5mm.
                            It doesn't always.

For sniper rifles (and possibly machine guns), 6.5mm may be optimum.

But, for assault rifles in a two-caliber system, 5.5mm is a better choice.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

I think 6mm or 6.35mm would make an ideal general purpose rifle or carbine bore, as well as a light machine-gun, given the right projectile profile and construction.

A 6x39mm off the 5.45 cartridge would be interesting.

6.5mm for the heavier shoulder-fired weapons.

Let's keep it on track for discussions solely about SOCOM's adoption of 6.5mm for Sniper Systems now, with the recent selection of 6.5CM and the TDP issued to ammunition manufacturers.

I wonder what bullet(s) they'll be going with.

In the course I ran this weekend, we were shooting 6.5CM 130gr Prime ammo with the Berger VLD, and 123gr Scenar CORBON .260 Rem from the bolt guns.

I noticed that in the same simultaneous wind conditions at 1000yds, the 130gr VLD needed 1.7 mils wind hold, whereas the .260 Rem with primer-popping CORBON ammo was holding center and getting hit after hit.

My best guess is that it was so flat, its maximum ordinate didn't rise high enough to fly through faster wind speeds that the 130gr was getting into, and the 130gr is flat as a pancake at 1000yds with 6600ft elevation, thin air already.

That 123gr Scenar CORBON load was smoking hot, with only 6.4 mils drop at 1000yds.

Also, I saw daylight clear as can be through the 200yd AR500 plate after timed engagement drills on the 200yd plate.

6.5CM or .250 Rem with a lighter bullet will smoke the dog crap out of armor, especially if you use the 6.5mm 855A1-type projectile.
                              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• bj139
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2017

I was thinking of buying a 6.5 Creedmoor in Savage or Howa heavy barrel.
                                I wonder if Savage might supply any rifles to SOCOM.

Comment

Working...
                                X