• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hill37
    Warrior
    • Apr 2017

G&A Article on New 6.5 Army Round

Glanced at Article in Guns and Ammo Magazine at the Walmart library. Author did not like it much. Too long for AR15 and not much more power than the Grendel.
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Wait new 6.5 military round? What happened to the 6.8 super duper ultra mini mag thing amobob round they was talking about last month?

Comment

• n9nwo
      Bloodstained
      • Dec 2016

The Army seems to be experimenting with a number of rounds.

The .300 PRC seems to be hot

And a review of the .300 PRC
      The one glaring weakness in the .30-caliber magnum cartridge lineup is best highlighted by examining the requirement around which Hornady designed the .300 PRC; the requirement came from SOCOM. Here's a full review.

Also an article on the various 6.5mm cartridges
      The one glaring weakness in the .30-caliber magnum cartridge lineup is best highlighted by examining the requirement around which Hornady designed the .300 PRC; the requirement came from SOCOM. Here's a full review.
      Last edited by n9nwo; 03-29-2019, 03:45 AM.

Comment

• Randy99CL
        Warrior
        • Oct 2017

It's been said many times before but why can't the military just grab what's already fully developed, proven, already in production and cheap?
        "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Randy99CL View Post
          It's been said many times before but why can't the military just grab what's already fully developed, proven, already in production and cheap?
          Randy:

In many cases they do but when it comes to ammunition they don't and for very good reasons. The ammunition must not only meet a requirement but also be completely functional in all environmental conditions.

Tell me how well the Grendel works in -20F and + 120 F temps using the same powder, powder charge, primer, and brass and if the load will meet what ever the ballistic requirements may be. Would also like to see ten service grade Grendel carbines shooting this load go for 10K rounds each without shearing bolt lugs.

There will be nothing cheap about a new round of ball ammunition given all the requirements of the battlefield of today. And, there is not a single private company capable of producing the amount of ammunition our military needs.

LR55

Comment

• hill37
            Warrior
            • Apr 2017

What would be the extra cost of a Aermet bolt and WOA extension. Or even a new bolt and extension design.

Comment

• n9nwo
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2016

The way some in the military are thinking a MG might not be desired. Rather go like the Marines with an Automatic Rifle being fed by magazines.

There seems to be a lot of confusing information out there. Some talk of just going back to the 6.5 Creedmoor (longer case). Others are talking of either 6.5x45 or 6.8x43. I am not sure that the powers that be even know.

Now the special ops guys are messing with .300 PRC

Comment

• JASmith
                Chieftain
                • Sep 2014

The basic issue does NOT include what one could describe as enablers like disintegrating links.

Rather, the question is more like “Does the new cartridge offer the total performance enhancement in terms of ballistics, logistics, and so on needed to justify the investment needed to create them?”

We have seen enough discussion to conclude that we probably have yet to see the cartridge that does.
                shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• n9nwo
                  Bloodstained
                  • Dec 2016

I see a lot of articles the "new 6.8mm round". Then a lot of talk about history of weapon and cartridge development. No specifications.

Comment

• Mattiecutter
                    Unwashed
                    • Mar 2019

Actually, the Sebian army has debued a 6.5 Grendel made by Zastava. It is called a M17 and is a Ak variant.

Comment

• LR1955
                      Super Moderator
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Mattiecutter View Post
                      Actually, the Sebian army has debued a 6.5 Grendel made by Zastava. It is called a M17 and is a Ak variant.
                      MC:

Hmmmmmmm. You don't say? http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...hlight=Serbian

Problem is that no one is quite sure if they did or not.

LR55

Comment

• lazyengineer
                        Chieftain
                        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                        MC:

Hmmmmmmm. You don't say? http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...hlight=Serbian

Problem is that no one is quite sure if they did or not.

LR55

As far as I can tell it's more of a curiosity than actually real. A shame really, I think it's just a better round. I don't know if dead, so much as not really moving.
                        4x P100

Comment

• n9nwo
                          Bloodstained
                          • Dec 2016

Interesting article on the 6.8mm competition. The round has to weight 20% less which means that it would not be a brass case. Polymer of some form.

I still hold that the end result will be about 6.8x45. And, BTW, they have 27 months to make their presentation.

After years of testing, Winchester Ammunition just announced it will produce the US Army 6.8mm General Purpose cartridge.

Comment

• LR1955
                            Super Moderator
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by lazyengineer View Post
                            As far as I can tell it's more of a curiosity than actually real. A shame really, I think it's just a better round. I don't know if dead, so much as not really moving.
                            LE:

Maybe the Serbians tested it and found it did not meet their requirements? Or cost too much? Fact is we don't know.

LR55

Comment

Working...
                            X