• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

Attached Files
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Wow, that 338 Norma Magnum mini gun would sure put a stream of lead further out than the 7.62x51 version.

Comment

• stanc
        Banned
        • Apr 2011

6.8 TVCM -- Not Just For Next Gen Weapons

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Comment

• A5BLASTER
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2015

Agreed.

6.8/277 cal is so 1960's tech.

Comment

• Fess
              Warrior
              • Jun 2019

My understanding is that the goal was a particular amount of energy delivered at a particular long range, using EPR (Enhanced Performance Round) bullets. These bullets are made with steel and copper, similar to M855A1, but with higher BC. The lower density of the EPR design vs a lead core bullet drove the need for a diameter larger bullet to meet whatever goal they had set. I know that Textron was working on a 6.5mm cased-telescoped cartridge that utilized a lead-cored bullet prior to the NGSW project.

Of course, the actual relevance of the Army's chosen goal is up for debate.

The switch to lead-free bullets has affected other projects. I had contact with the fellow developing the .277 Sidewinder round for potential military approval a few years ago. It was actually a cartridge based on the 30 Remington that his father had started on several decades ago. He had based the round on achieving a certain amount of retained energy at something like 800 or 1000m. When the Army switched away from lead-cored bullets, the BC's on bullets that fit his cartridge dropped to where he could no longer reach his goal.

Comment

• biodsl
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2011

I guess this is backing the train way, way up, but..

From the video "We're currently sending our soldiers and marines onto the battlefield....at an adversary that's got superior ammunition with greater effective range who's now wearing level III body armor."

Who are they talking about?
                Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2015

Originally posted by biodsl View Post

From the video "We're currently sending our soldiers and marines onto the battlefield....at an adversary that's got superior ammunition with greater effective range who's now wearing level III body armor."

Well since no military in the world fields anything other then ar,ak type weapons and ammo.

I'm guessing they are talking about US tax payers?

Comment

• stanc
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2011

My understanding is that the Army conducted tests a few years ago and determined that 6.8mm was the smallest caliber that would defeat modern hard body armor at long range. It seems very unlikely that 6 ARC or 6.5 Grendel would be capable of achieving the desired performance.

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                    Agreed.

6.8/277 cal is so 1960's tech.
                    LOL. 6.5/.264 is 1890's tech. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.5%C3%9755mm_Swedish

Originally posted by biodsl View Post

He's misstating the case. The rationale for NGSW is concern of Army leadership about the possibility of future combat against opponents like the Russians, who field Level IV body armor that stops 5.56 M855A1.

I imagine the "greater effective range" comment refers mainly to 5.56x45 weapons versus 7.62x54R weapons like those below, a comparison that's been done by others.

Comment

• Fess
                      Warrior
                      • Jun 2019

Level III body armor is appearing all over the world. It is pretty inexpensive these days. Its been seen in Afghanistan, Sudan, etc. That is what has driven the energy-at-range component of the NGSW program. Again, it is open to debate on whether the particular goals they have chosen are the best ones.

7.62x54mmR weapons like the SVD and PK machineguns technically outrange their 7.62x51 rivals. The US has also been shortening the barrels on various weapons, which makes that difference greater. This NDIA presentation goes into detail on the "range gap" of various weapon systems and proposes solutions (largely 6.5mm, BTW) https://ndiastorage.blob.core.usgovc...260_Schatz.pdf

Here is another article that makes the argument that longer-ranged weapons, in this case using a GPC (General Purpose Cartridge) for use in both rifles and machineguns should be adopted. https://quarryhs.co.uk/TNG2.pdf
                      Last edited by Fess; 06-06-2021, 06:18 PM.

Comment

• biodsl
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2011

Thanks, all. Just wanted to confirm his exaggeration. Nothing wrong with planning for the future. Just don't make it sound like we're totally behind the power curve.
                        Paul Peloquin

Comment

• biodsl
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2011

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                          I'm guessing they are talking about US tax payers?
                          Now that right there is funny! Or tragic!
                          Paul Peloquin

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                            Administrator
                            • Feb 2011

Good humor always has a grain of truth....
                            :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

Working...
                            X