• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stanc
    Banned
    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
    No. You are misrepresenting A5's point. He did not have in front of him the photo that you showed.
    He most certainly did have that photo in front of him. It was in my post, to which he responded.

That bullet is not being showed in any picture of the 6.8 NGSW cartridges being shown these days, so it's unfair to pretend A5 was talking about that bullet.
    The bullet seen in loaded cartridges is a surrogate, used for test and demonstration.

The GP bullet shown in post #34 is what will be used for the standard combat load.

I did not "pretend" that A5 was talking about the GP bullet. I assumed that he was.

A5 meant that there's nothing magical about the 6.8 caliber...
    I have no idea how you got that meaning from: "Our idea of a beautiful bullet is completely diffrent..."

...and, further, that the 6.8mm bullets that ARE being shown have worse BCs than a similar 6.5mm...
    Interesting. Where have you seen the BC specifications for the surrogate and GP bullets?

....so why not go 6.5mm?
    My understanding is that, in Army testing, 6.5mm did not defeat body armor as well as 6.8mm.

Don't misrepresent in order to quibble.
    I did not misrepresent. I addressed what he said. If he meant something else, he should've said what he meant.

I have insufficient data to base an opinion on, so I can neither agree with you, nor argue against you.

My only infantry-type experience was one year in the scout platoon of a tank battalion, and that was long before ceramic body armor became a concern.

What information causes you to conclude that the range requirement should be reduced to 300-500 meters?

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
      The bulk being the polymer telescoping cases? I have a feeling they are not going to be happy with that ammo in the long run. Despite expectations and proclamations, the polymer will deform over time. So either it is going to have a much more limited shelf life than brass cased ammo and be pulled from service or it is going to induce malfunctions.
      Agreed. Something that I haven't seen anyone mention is this.

What happens in a long drawn out firefight and that chamber gets hot enough to start melting that polymer case and cause polymer build up in the chamber walls?

Seems like this case design would require more maintenance in the feild to keep from having a kaboom due too chamber build up are a jam due to polymer build up on the chamber walls.

Comment

• stanc
        Banned
        • Apr 2011

...why not go 6.5mm?
        BTW, if you're wanting to go to 6.5mm to decrease cartridge bulk, that would not help significantly.

.277 - .264 = 0.013

Reduce the polymer case diameter by 0.013" and it'll still be at least as fat as the 7.62 NATO round.

Comment

• stanc
          Banned
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post

What happens in a long drawn out firefight and that chamber gets hot enough to start melting that polymer case and cause polymer build up in the chamber walls?
          Does that actually happen?

Comment

• grayfox
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2017

My thought on the '50's was an attempt to scale down slightly from WWI to something that could still be used in European theater as well as on a "truce" line in Korea, which is mostly a stagnant - don't have to carry your rifle far - type of encounter.
            Once jungle warfare hit and you had to carry everything through that environment, lighter was better. And downrange fire intensity counted for something.
            I don't know if it should be totally written off as "fighting the last war", since as a defensive-style armed force (ie, we don't invade to expand an empire like the Commie's did/do, aggressors can pick their war spot and develop for that), you can't always predict where and what the next war will be, so can't exactly develop a weapon for it with complete foresight.
            "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by stanc View Post
              Does that actually happen?
              You bet your backside it can happen. To date there is not a single polymer or polymer blend that I know of that cant be melted are rendered to a soft placidity state when enough heat is applied directly too it for a given amount of time.

I'm sure they have tested for this, but then again I'm not seeing anyone talk about it.

And no that bullet in your pic is not sexy in my eyes and it has nothing to do with it being a 6.8 cal.

Comment

• stanc
                Banned
                • Apr 2011

You bet your backside it can happen. To date there is not a single polymer or polymer blend that I know of that cant be melted are rendered to a soft placidity state when enough heat is applied directly too it for a given amount of time.
                Perhaps I wasn't clear. I was not asking if polymer will melt if it gets hot enough.

I was asking if the polymer cases actually get hot enough to melt in the chamber.

I'm sure they have tested for this, but then again I'm not seeing anyone talk about it.
                So you don't really know that the chamber will get hot enough to melt the cases?

And no that bullet in your pic is not sexy in my eyes and it has nothing to do with it being a 6.8 cal.

Comment

• stanc
                  Banned
                  • Apr 2011

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                  I don't know if it should be totally written off as "fighting the last war", since as a defensive-style armed force (ie, we don't invade to expand an empire like the Commie's did/do, aggressors can pick their war spot and develop for that), you can't always predict where and what the next war will be, so can't exactly develop a weapon for it with complete foresight.
                  LOL. Switzerland has a defensive-style armed force. The US has an offensive/expeditionary-type force

The US military has not had to defend this country against an invading army for more than two centuries.

We are not defenders. We are invaders. The United States was built via invasion, aggression, and conquest.

We have attacked and invaded countries all around the world. From the jungles of Cambodia, to the deserts of Iraq, and the mountains of Afghanistan.

That's why we can't develop a weapon with complete foresight. We don't know what type of terrain and climate the troops will be ordered to fight in next.

Comment

• montana
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                    True, but the commies have been failing at actual armed conflict recently, "so they have resorted to using the weapons of finance, viruses, lies and false narrative propaganda" to brain wash the targeted nation's impressionable youth and intellectually weak minded adults..

Comment

• Lemonaid
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2019

Seems like this case design would require more maintenance in the feild to keep from having a kaboom due too chamber build up are a jam due to polymer build up on the chamber walls.
                      I am speculating that the True Velocity testing might be similar to the telescoping stuff as far as heat transfer. If I recall correctly the True Velocity stuff keeps the chamber much cooler than brass ammo. They tested full auto fire for quite a long time in one of their news articles with nary a cookoff.

Comment

• stanc
                        Banned
                        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Lemonaid View Post
                        I am speculating that the True Velocity testing might be similar to the telescoping stuff as far as heat transfer. If I recall correctly the True Velocity stuff keeps the chamber much cooler than brass ammo.
                        Right. Polymer cases do not transfer heat to the chamber like metallic cases do.

Plus, the chamber of the Textron weapons is not part of the barrel, which helps.

Note comment @ 3:47-4:11 in https://youtu.be/JhRhSWTeHYo

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2015

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I was not asking if polymer will melt if it gets hot enough.

I was asking if the polymer cases actually get hot enough to melt in the chamber.

So you don't really know that the chamber will get hot enough to melt the cases?

Nope I sure dont stanc. Hench why I said I haven't seen anyone talking about it.

But then again you dont know either.

This is why noone likes to conversatete with you stanc. You try to pick and play words to advance your thoughts and stir arguments.

Sorry it took so long to respond I was busy in the woods killing stuff.

Comment

• stanc
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2011

Nope I sure dont stanc. Hench why I said I haven't seen anyone talking about it.

But then again you dont know either.
                            That's true, but then I never claimed to know.

This is why noone likes to conversatete with you stanc. You try to pick and play words to advance your thoughts and stir arguments.
                            a. I don't try to stir arguments.

b. I have no idea what you mean in saying that I try to "play" words.

c. Yes, I certainly do try to pick words that I hope will present and advance my thoughts. It seems like a good idea, when attempting to have a reasonably intelligent discussion.

Too many people are careless in choosing their words, often saying something they don't actually mean, or saying something that is illogical, irrational, or erroneous.

For instance, you said: "What happens in a long drawn out firefight and that chamber gets hot enough to start melting that polymer case..."

Your wording presumes that the chamber would get hot enough to melt the polymer case, despite the fact that you do not know if that can actually happen with the Textron designs.

Sorry it took so long to respond I was busy in the woods killing stuff.
                            No apology necessary. If I were able, I'd have spent the day making once-fired brass.

Comment

• JASmith
                              Chieftain
                              • Sep 2014

That's true, but then I never claimed to know.

a. I don't try to stir arguments.

b. I have no idea what you mean in saying that I try to "play" words.

c. Yes, I certainly do try to pick words that I hope will present and advance my thoughts. It seems like a good idea, when attempting to have a reasonably intelligent discussion.

Too many people are careless in choosing their words, often saying something they don't actually mean, or saying something that is illogical, irrational, or erroneous.

For instance, you said: "What happens in a long drawn out firefight and that chamber gets hot enough to start melting that polymer case..."

Your wording presumes that the chamber would get hot enough to melt the polymer case, despite the fact that you do not know if that can actually happen with the Textron designs.

No apology necessary. If I were able, I'd have spent the day making once-fired brass.
                              Stan, it seems like truth is being abused.....
                              shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                              -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• LRRPF52
                                Super Moderator
                                • Sep 2014

BTW, if you're wanting to go to 6.5mm to decrease cartridge bulk, that would not help significantly.

.277 - .264 = 0.013

Reduce the polymer case diameter by 0.013" and it'll still be at least as fat as the 7.62 NATO round.
                                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                                X