• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Battalion13
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2017

Video posted on Task & Purpose at You Tube

6.8 Update
    Last edited by Battalion13; 12-10-2020, 05:23 PM.
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

To get that kind of MV/KE they are talking about, way back I said they'd need ~80ksi... looks like that's where they're going.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
      To get that kind of MV/KE they are talking about, way back I said they'd need ~80ksi... looks like that's where they're going.
      I watched the vid and the guys shooting that thing looks like they were struggling to stay on target with its recoil. So I'm sure the pressure is in the 60k plus area, that's why more recoil then a grendel or 556 would make, looks like it's a 308 NATO 8n recoil reaction watching those guys shoot it.

Comment

• Fess
        Warrior
        • Jun 2019

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
        And this is AFTER the Army reduced the velocity requirements. I ran the numbers a while back and they basically wanted the performance of a 270 WSM (from its 23+inch barrel) to come from a carbine with roughly a 13 inch barrel. From what I remember, Sig fudged its "cartridge weight reduction" number by comparing its weight to what a comparable cartridge WOULD have been, instead of comparing it to the weight of the existing 7.62 NATO ammo.

The General Dynamics design is a bullpup in order to keep a longer barrel for the same weapon length and permit them to run lower chamber pressures than the other two. The interesting part of its cartridge is that it was optimized from the beginning for a polymer case. In other words, it isn't shaped like a brass or steel case. Most previous attempts with polymer just tried to replace the existing brass case with no other design changes.

Textron has been working on case-telescoped ammo for decades. I am not certain if tucking the bullet into the case is worth all the trouble of an entirely new type of action. At least the General Dynamics cartridge can use a traditional action.

Comment

• stanc
          Banned
          • Apr 2011

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
            Warrior
            • Apr 2013

You've got my interest!

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
              Warrior
              • Apr 2013

[True Velocity extends performance benefits of 'Next Gen' 6.8 TVCM cartridge to currently fielded weapons

< https://www.tvammo.com/press-releases >

Comment

• stanc
                Banned
                • Apr 2011

Comment

• stanc
                  Banned
                  • Apr 2011

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                    X