Constant recoil, was not Sullivan or Stoner's idea, it was first seen in the MP-44

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Constant recoil, was not Sullivan or Stoner's idea, it was first seen in the MP-44

Starting around the 6:39 minute Stoner talks about where they first saw constant recoil.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMcZ8thlikY&t=4s
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

One of the first weapons to use constant recoil is the Finnish KP/-31 9mm SMG, which predates the MP44 by well over a decade.

KP/-31 stands for Konepistooli-31, or machine pistol of 1931 in Finnish.

It uses 3 different approaches to make the recoil feel like nothing, so you can hold it without much effort and it just tracks on target.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• montana
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

The MP-40 also has the same recoil impulse it you have ever shot one, not as effective as the Suomi since the Finns got the cycle rate to weight of the weapon timed perfectly with their SMG. The Beretta 38A is considered even better, but I have never fired one of those.I actually got into a rather heated debate with the former TFB writer Nathaniel over this subject of constant recoil in the MP-44, where I proved him wrong. The other point I proved him wrong over was the 5 piece so called AK rate reducer. It is an anti bounce device for the lighter stamp receivers, not a rate reducer. Many today still mistakenly call it a rate reducer.
      Last edited by montana; 11-17-2021, 09:25 PM.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
        Administrator
        • Feb 2011

Am a huge fan of recoil reduction in military weapons, so am fascinated by constant recoil. I feel excessive recoil is the principal point where the new 6.8 NGSW goes wrong (second is ammo bulk). Anyway, thanks for the info!

P.S. On a side note, starting at 10:45, what large-caliber weapon is Stoner mentioning that has a chamber that "oscillates in an arc-shaped cam" and "two chambers that feed one barrel" and has "about three moving parts" and a "plastic case"?
        :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• montana
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
          Am a huge fan of recoil reduction in military weapons, so am fascinated by constant recoil. I feel excessive recoil is the principal point where the new 6.8 NGSW goes wrong (second is ammo bulk). Anyway, thanks for the info!

P.S. On a side note, starting at 10:45, what large-caliber weapon is Stoner mentioning that has a chamber that "oscillates in an arc-shaped cam" and "two chambers that feed one barrel" and has "about three moving parts" and a "plastic case"?
          I believe it was his Advanced Individual Weapon System he developed for the Advanced Combat Rifle program.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKBJp9Ea8jg&t=149s
          Here are the tapes in order you will enjoy if you have not seen them yet..

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
            Administrator
            • Feb 2011

:: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

Comment

• grayfox
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2017

In some ways the 68 ngsw has similarities to past American thinking in air power, especially the ramp-up to the F4 phantom. I'm no air force expert but heavy, fast but hard to maneuver jet, with no gun for up-close fights, gives away a lot of advantages for the classic dog fight. They figured a gun wouldn't be needed since all combat would be from a distance, all you need is rockets.

Now a lot of those problems were overcome by adding a gun and by pilots' expertise, but it seemed a bit strange to start out by giving away a lot of advantage.

This new 68 is the heavy, no close-up-needed missile launcher for an infantry that has some long range stuff but most fighting occurred in urban, close-up encounters. Find a way to carry along a man-pad, bring along a drone-buddy hellcat-type or use a 6Arc for that 800-1000 yd stuff. Stay nimble for when you're seeing the whites of their eyes.
              "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• montana
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hsOrULshco
                The fact that the constant recoil weapon's cycle rate is not effected by different ammunition pressure curves is also a big plus IMO. It eliminates the need for an adjustable gas block...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMcZ8thlikY&t=4s start at the 7:37 minute..
                Last edited by montana; 11-20-2021, 03:37 AM.

Comment

• Klem
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

What were the range concerns in Afghanistan? Is there anything posted or published about this?

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                    Administrator
                    • Feb 2011

Klem, in general, the range concerns in AFG were that our troops were being ambushed by PKMs with 7.62x54R at, oh, 800 meters and couldn't adequately respond with 5.56. Thus the push for the increased ballistic capability of the 6.8 NGSW to both have long range external ballistics as well as body armor defeat at those ranges.

Here's a quick ARTICLE

Comment

• Klem
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

Interesting, thanks

Klem

Comment

• Fess
                        Warrior
                        • Jun 2019

The main problem would be dealing with a near-peer who has the ability and resources to would do what our soldiers do: call for assistance. Even though the opponent would indeed take cover, that would allow them to call in an artillery, air, or drone strike against YOUR position. Already in places like Syria, body armor and drones are becoming more common. It is critical that the opponent be quickly incapacitated. Otherwise you have a situation where opponents hide behind rocks and call in devastation against each other.

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
                          Warrior
                          • Nov 2018

cool video

Comment

Working...
                          X