• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Army Awards SIG NGSW Contract

The U.S. Army announced the award of a 10-year firm-fixed-price follow-on production contract to for the manufacture and delivery of the NGSW.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Interesting, so a contract is awarded for 10 years, but for continued testing of the platform?
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
      Interesting, so a contract is awarded for 10 years, but for continued testing of the platform?
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Bigs28
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2016

Interesting they have the red dot on the "ar" and the lpvo on the "r".

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2013

I read it as sort of like being a grant on pre FDA approval Phase 3 drug testing, promising, but not a done deal as of yet.
          Kill a hog. Save the planet.
          My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• grayfox
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
            Interesting they have the red dot on the "ar" and the lpvo on the "r".
            I think that thingy on the auto is the laser/advanced targeting/ballistics thing they talked about, has some magnification too I would guess.
            "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
              Administrator
              • Feb 2011

Everybody knows where I stand on this being a deadend as a replacement for the M4. Snipers? Yes. Machine guns? Yes. Grunt-level carbines? Hell, no, and what-are-they-thinking? Anyway, I'll let that rest.

What I find interesting is they're calling the belt-fed machine gun an Automatic Rifle. Um ... OK, I guess?

Having said all that, I think SIG did a good job fulfilling the task requested of them.

And True Velocity also seems to have a good product with their polymer-cased ammo and I hope it finds a home somewhere. However, as premium ammo it's a non-starter because every report I watch or read about it the accuracy is not THAT stellar. They need to use their non-reloadable polymer cases as the new cheap steel-case. They objected when I made that case to them at SHOT Show 2022, wanting to charge $2 per round. But we'll see how it all shakes out.
              :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• biodsl
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2011

A bullpup 6.5 Creedmoor would have gotten you 95% there for 5% of the cost. This whole thing is just insanity. But I suppose it's in keeping with the history of military weapon procurement.
                Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• LR1955
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
                  A bullpup 6.5 Creedmoor would have gotten you 95% there for 5% of the cost. This whole thing is just insanity. But I suppose it's in keeping with the history of military weapon procurement.
                  Doubt we will see a bullpup issued to our military. Simply put, we just do not like the design.

As for this rifle and the cartridge, both ought to put an end to the complaints about range and lethality.

I think it is precisely what the Combat Arms demanded.

The new complaints will probably be size and weight again.

One thing that will make a difference will be the sighting systems. Looking at them I believe they actually will increase lethality. Probably won't have to carry as much ammo as a result.

LR55

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                    Administrator
                    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                    One thing that will make a difference will be the sighting systems. Looking at them I believe they actually will increase lethality. Probably won't have to carry as much ammo as a result.
                    New sighting systems could well be the difference. As I understand the combat problem, much of it is actually finding and SEEING the enemy. If one can pick out an enemy among the rocks on a far mountainside or catch a little glimpse of someone hidden in the jungle, that would save a lot of rounds. However, I would think the downside, and veterans can better speak to this, is being exposed to enemy fire while peering deeply into jungle foliage using a magnified optic.
                    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• grayfox
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2017

The other thing to ponder is what do you do when the fancy sight system fails, whether battery, some inner cable, whatever.
                      Murphy roams the battlefield.
                      I do hope the shooter is not left high n dry in that circumstance. Think the rifle has some kind of etched reticle for that but the ar version, ??
                      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Klem
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                        The other thing to ponder is what do you do when the fancy sight system fails, whether battery, some inner cable, whatever.
                        I do hope the shooter is not left high n dry in that circumstance. Think the rifle has some kind of etched reticle for that but the ar version, ??
                        Fancy sights and tech is what is giving Ukraine a fighting chance against a superpower.

Comment

• Fodderwing
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jan 2022

So, a 6.8 Creedmore?

Comment

• LR1955
                            Super Moderator
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                            GF:

Joe will use his back up irons. Just like now if the optic breaks or the power fails.

LR55

Comment

• m796rider
                              Warrior
                              • Jul 2011

Tier 1 units -- that can basically pick whatever small arms they want -- will look at NGSW, politely decline, and continue to use 6mm ARC in their ARs.

Comment

Working...
                              X