• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rickt300
    Warrior
    • Jan 2017

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
    So we still need eco-friendly?

I agree, its tougher to do, but its still doable. In fact, a solid copper bullet would work. 180 grain Barnes with a BC or .473 can be loaded easily to 2700 FPS with easily available powders. Using the newer Superperformance powders, I'd bet you could get over 2800 out of them, at standard length.

Bumping to 200 grains loses several hundred feet per second, but is doable, with 2600 FPS velocities at standard length.
    Eco friendly just cracks me up as we are talking about the imminent destruction of human tissue before and after the penetration of various barriers. That said Okinawa was literally covered with bullets fired in WWII, and this I saw in the 70's. Anyone ever hear anything about the ecosystem of Okinawa being damaged by large amounts of lead? When I was there most of the war damage had been grown over though there was still plenty of munitions to be found if you wanted to look.

Comment

• Popeye212
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
      Funny.

Can't use lead bullets anymore, but by god, we will litter the battlefield with plastic that will never ever corrode away.
      Now you really can't expect em to think past the lead thing. Hey look what we got rid of the lead...yay us go green. Now despite the fact that as you said you are littering plastic all over the place that is GASP!! made with OIL!! Big oil profits again liberal heads explode. They just can't seem think very far ahead..God bless em...ROFL

Comment

• hill37
        Warrior
        • Apr 2017

This ammo seems to be ahead of Shell Shock cased rifle ammo. We should hear something about Shell Shocks .223 cases soon. If they are on schedule. The 9mm seems legit though.

Comment

• stanc
          Banned
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by rickt300 View Post
          Eco friendly just cracks me up as we are talking about the imminent destruction of human tissue before and after the penetration of various barriers. That said Okinawa was literally covered with bullets fired in WWII, and this I saw in the 70's. Anyone ever hear anything about the ecosystem of Okinawa being damaged by large amounts of lead? When I was there most of the war damage had been grown over though there was still plenty of munitions to be found if you wanted to look.
          Originally posted by Popeye212 View Post
          Now you really can't expect em to think past the lead thing.
          <sigh> Apparently we can't expect some gun people to get past the lead thing, either.

1. The switch to lead-free bullets was never about concern over polluting the battlefield. It was about reducing pollution on US military firing ranges.
          2. Lead-free M80A1 and M855A1 ammo delivers superior terminal performance in both soft and hard targets compared to lead-core M80 and M855.

Lead is not the best choice of material for bullets in general-purpose combat ammo.
          Last edited by stanc; 05-01-2018, 03:18 AM.

Comment

• hill37
            Warrior
            • Apr 2017

what do you think the best material would be?

Comment

• stanc
              Banned
              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by hill37 View Post
              what do you think the best material would be?
              Steel. It gives the best combination of cost, availability, performance, etc, and meets the requirements for lead-free construction.

But, if you're not limited to just one material, the two-piece (steel tip / copper slug) construction of the EPR bullet is hard to beat.
              Last edited by stanc; 05-01-2018, 08:07 AM.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                Administrator
                • Feb 2011

I like steel-tip, lead core. Both cheap and ballistically sound.
                :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• VASCAR2
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Stan have you seen the new IMI armor piercing ammo? Doesn’t give much information.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 05-01-2018, 07:47 PM.

Comment

• hill37
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2017

Why not keep improved 5.56 for magazine fed weapons? It seems most problems with it have been fixed. Like LRRP52 I think machine guns are the major problem. What about a light, constant recoil machine gun using 140 gr steel and aluminum long bullets? Combined with light cases and fairly high speeds ,how would it perform?

Comment

• stanc
                      Banned
                      • Apr 2011

It sure doesn't. When I saw that IMI publicity sheet a few months ago, I searched for more info, but found nothing.

Comment

• hill37
                        Warrior
                        • Apr 2017

I tried to calculate the bc of a 30 cal 140 grain bullet with the form factor of the 200 gr match king. but my algebra has left me.

Comment

• hill37
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2017

A new(?) face in the poly case fray? http://www.truevelocityinc.com/industries/

Comment

Working...
                          X