16 inch barrel
    Average of 10 shots
    2496 FPS
    Extreme Spread
    35 FPS
    Standard Deviation
    11 FPS

100 yard accuracy.
    Average for three 10-shot groups is 2.4 inches.
    How does this accuracy compare to that of US military 5.56 M855 Ball?

Is this accuracy and velocity adequate for comparison testing of 6.5 Grendel vs 5.56 and 7.62 NATO?

Is performance of the Wolf FMJ ammo good enough to permit an evaluation of 6.5 Grendel as a Universal Infantry Cartridge?
    Last edited by stanc; 06-30-2014, 06:44 PM.

Comment

• cory
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2012

Originally posted by stanc View Post
      Excerpted from David Fortier's post on arfcom:

How does this accuracy compare to that of US military 5.56 M855 Ball?

Is this accuracy and velocity adequate for comparison testing of 6.5 Grendel vs 5.56 and 7.62 NATO?

Is performance of the Wolf FMJ ammo good enough to permit an evaluation of 6.5 Grendel as a Universal Infantry Cartridge?
      Is that a serious question? Which military loading for either of those platforms is 10ksi below their SAAMI Spec?
      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• stanc
        Banned
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by cory View Post
        Is that a serious question?
        Certainly.
        Which military loading for either of those platforms is 10ksi below their SAAMI Spec?
        What makes you think that the 6.5 Grendel FMJ ammo is 10kpsi below SAAMI spec?
        Originally posted by Bill Alexander View Post
        The load pressure is in accordance with SAAMI with the typical loaded round presenting 49,000 to 50,000 psi as sampled at STP on a new batch.

Comment

• cory
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2012

Physics.

Comment

• stanc
            Banned
            • Apr 2011

Would you care to elaborate?

Comment

• cory
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2012

Originally posted by stanc View Post
              Would you care to elaborate?
              Like you can't get velocity for free, you can't give it away either.

To get more velocity it takes more pressure, henceforth less velocity equals less pressure.

Maybe someone with quickload could run the numbers to see what the software says the pressure should be.

Comment

• stanc
                Banned
                • Apr 2011

Like you can't get velocity for free, you can't give it away either.

To get more velocity it takes more pressure, henceforth less velocity equals less pressure.
                So, effectively you're saying that Alexander is either lying or stupid.

Comment

• explorecaves

I believe cory was referencing the wolf ammo being under pressured/loaded light....

Comment

• stanc
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by explorecaves View Post
                    I believe cory was referencing the wolf ammo being under pressured/loaded light....
                    I realize that. See post #288.

Comment

• explorecaves

As I understand cory's post, neither of the mil-spec caliber loadings referenced are 10kpsi under pressured. Thus the wolf ammo would be at an automatic disadvantage as it is typically loaded light (probably in the range of 10kpsi light). Ergo, it would not be "good enough to permit an evaluation of 6.5 Grendel as a Universal Infantry Cartridge."

Comment

• stanc
                        Banned
                        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by explorecaves View Post
                        As I understand cory's post, neither of the mil-spec caliber loadings referenced are 10kpsi under pressured. Thus the wolf ammo would be at an automatic disadvantage as it is typically loaded light (probably in the range of 10kpsi light).
                        You gotta be kidding. Did you not read post #288???

Here, I'll make it easy for you:
                        Originally posted by Bill Alexander View Post
                        The load pressure is in accordance with SAAMI with the typical loaded round presenting 49,000 to 50,000 psi as sampled at STP on a new batch.

Comment

• Drifter
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Is Bill A's reference to a "new batch" at 50k psi the same as what Fortier tested?
                          Drifter

Comment

• stanc
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2011

It would seem so, judging by context. Click on the (little blue) link symbol to the right of "Bill Alexander" in my previous post, if you wish to read his entire post.

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                              Warrior
                              • Apr 2013

. . . To get more velocity it takes more pressure, henceforth less velocity equals less pressure. . . .
                              To recap:

6.5mm Grendel SAAMI Maximum Average Pressure (MAP): 52,000 psi (http://kwk.us/pressures.html);

6.5mm Grendel, 20-inch barrel:
                              100 gr Alexander Arms Berger Open-Tip Match: 2,847 fps;
                              123 gr Alexander Arms Lapua Scenar: 2,627 fps;
                              123 gr Hornady A-MAX: 2,582 fps.
                              (http://www.rifleshootermag.com/2011/...del-evolution/);

"It is a double base ball type and will be loaded to 3550 bar [51,488 psi] in line with existing weapon and ammunition setup." (https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_453/...age=1#i1882699);

6.5mm Grendel, 20-inch barrel:
                              100 gr WOLF FMJ -BT, 2,600 fps.
                              (http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/6...pic_IN_OP.html).

The big question: In view of the above, how do Alexander Arms and Hornady, loading their respective 6.5mm Grendel ammo, operating at approximately the same chamber pressure as WOLF, and using projectiles that weigh 23% greater than the 100-grain projectile used in the WOLF 6.5mm Grendel Steel Case ammo, manage to achieve approximately the same muzzle velocity --- from the same 20-inch barrel length?

Comment

• Variable
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2011

Well, I'm not about to call Bill or anyone anything (Cory wasn't either), because he is a pretty factual guy. I am curious as to where the disparity comes from though.

Losing 10 grains of projectile weight while also losing over 200 feet per second would seem to be a bit odd. I still want it (so long as it cycles my rifles well), but where did the energy go?
                                Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                                We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

Working...
                                X