X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stanc
    Banned
    • Apr 2011

The following is excerpted from Tony Williams' article, http://quarryhs.co.uk/The%20Next%20Generation.htm , which he updated today:

In 2013 the US Army announced a 'Caliber Configuration Study' to support two new small-arms programmes, designated CLAWS (Combat Lightweight Automatic Weapon System) and LDAM (Lightweight Dismounted Automatic Machinegun).

Since then, CLAWS has been replaced by NGSW (Next Generation Squad Weapon) and the CCS by SAAC (the Small Arms Ammunition Configuration study).

Very little information about these programmes has been revealed, but it appears that NGSW is intended to result in the eventual replacement of all of the existing 5.56 mm rifles, carbines and light machine guns by one modular weapon family with interchangeable barrels, stocks and accessories.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

If I were a betting man, I might lay odds on the next US Army AR being the SCAR-H in something very close to a 6.5mm Grendel. Of course, there's many a slip between cup and lip, but I tend to think that the overall configuration of the SCAR-H has created a new AR benchmark.
      I wouldn't make that bet. The SCAR-H has a series of issues that have yet to be solved, primarily the short service life it creates for SOMPOD and SOPMOD Block II ancillary items, especially TWS. The SCAR's gas system length is too short as is, and the height of the receiver is a major step backwards.

There is a rifle design that one can look at if one is interested in fixing the SCAR, but I see the SCAR as a prototype that was forced into production way too early. Failure of the polymer components, to include lower receivers and buttstocks is another considerable challenge that is already being addressed by people on the US side.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
      X