Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tony Williams

Originally posted by stanc View Post
    That, as well as other missions where an MMG is typically attached. In which case we're back to having two different calibers, and two different machine guns, which negates one of the fundamental premises of the GPC concept.
    A GPC must be able to match the hit probability of 7.62mm at 1000m, which would be enough for the great majority of missions, even in Afghanistan. I've not heard of any small-arms attacks being launched against ISAF forces from longer ranges than that.

If a .338 MMG does make it into service, I would expect it to be commonly mounted on vehicles or sited in fixed locations for base defence (where the ammo weight doesn't matter). The reduced weight over the .50 cal would probably be of most value in carrying it to forward outposts and other positions, rather than on mobile patrols.

Comment

• cory
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2012

That, as well as other missions where an MMG is typically attached. In which case we're back to having two different calibers, and two different machine guns, which negates one of the fundamental premises of the GPC concept.

Stan by this ridiculous argument the 60mm Mortar negates the premises of the GPC concept. The MMG and mortars are Crew Served Weapons and should be treated differently than the ARs and LMGs.
      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• stanc
        Banned
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Tony Williams View Post
        A GPC must be able to match the hit probability of 7.62mm at 1000m...
        If 5.56 and 7.62 NATO were to be replaced by a single caliber, as originally envisioned for a GPC, I would agree.

However, if 5.56 will be replaced by one cartridge, and 7.62 by another (as per CLAWS and LDAM), then there is no obvious need for a Squad Common Cartridge to have the same long range capability as would be necessary with a GPC.
        ...which would be enough for the great majority of missions, even in Afghanistan. I've not heard of any small-arms attacks being launched against ISAF forces from longer ranges than that.
        1. I think that's called "planning for the last war."
        2. Does the US Army want to match 7.62x54R range, or does it want overmatch?
        If a .338 MMG does make it into service, I would expect it to be commonly mounted on vehicles or sited in fixed locations for base defence...
        If a .338 MMG weighs no more than a 7.62 MMG, I would expect it to be carried on foot-mobile operations just as the 7.62 MMG currently is. (Although that could change, depending on performance of the squad cartridge.)

Comment

• stanc
          Banned
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by cory View Post
          Stan by this ridiculous argument the 60mm Mortar negates the premises of the GPC concept.
          The 60mm mortar round is a rifle/machine gun cartridge?

Comment

• Michael
            Warrior
            • Jan 2012

If a .338 MMG weighs no more than a 7.62 MMG, I would expect it to be carried on foot-mobile operations just as the 7.62 MMG currently is. (Although that could change, depending on performance of the squad cartridge.)
            Stan - I think this is a poor assumption as the ammo will weigh twice as much as the 7.62 ammo.
            I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.
            - Voltaire

Comment

• stanc
              Banned
              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Stan - I think this is a poor assumption as the ammo will weigh twice as much as the 7.62 ammo.
              Certainly it would. The obvious answer is to carry half as much ammo.

Comment

• cory
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2012

Certainly it would. The obvious answer is to carry half as much ammo.
                ???? You're just trying to screw with us here, correct?

The ammo could be spread out among more Grunts, but the intent here is to see the Grunts get a LMG that'll match the range of the PKM. Therefore, eliminating the requirement for a MMG on patrol.

Then you have a MMG that'll only be deployed to specialized missions, that require the additional range and firepower.

Comment

• Originally posted by stanc View Post
                  1. I think that's called "planning for the last war." ...
                  This is not the first time you've thrown this phrase into the discussion with the apparent intent of discrediting a posters' comment.

What do you suggest as an alternative for the needed hit probability at range?

Be sure to document your answer so the rest of us will know whether you are simply playing games or you are seriously trying to help with understanding.

Comment

• stanc
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by cory View Post
                    ???? You're just trying to screw with us here, correct?
                    Not at all. Doesn't the M240 gunner carry about half as much 7.62 ammo as the M249 gunner does 5.56 ammo?
                    ...the intent here is to see the Grunts get a LMG that'll match the range of the PKM. Therefore, eliminating the requirement for a MMG on patrol.
                    That certainly seems to be Tony's intent with the GPC concept. But, it is not clear if that is the intent of the US Army's CLAWS and LDAM programs.
                    Then you have a MMG that'll only be deployed to specialized missions, that require the additional range and firepower.
                    Trouble is, the info (in post #2) we have on LDAM says only that it's to replace the 7.62 MMG. It does not say that it would be used just for specialized missions.
                    Last edited by stanc; 04-11-2014, 04:45 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

• Michael
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2012

I submit the above in response to the comments concerning fighting the last war. Also, if so motivated, pick up 'War Made New' by Max Boot.
                      I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.
                      - Voltaire

Comment

• Europe is going to be a big focal point for the next few decades, but Russia will play the chessboard very methodically, with patience.

We're basically at a stage where you go to war with the Army you have, not the one you want, although direct US involvement may be dubious at this point, especially considering the role of Germany becoming more friendly with Russia in a chaotic Europe.

Comment

• stanc
                          Banned
                          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
                          This is not the first time you've thrown this phrase into the discussion with the apparent intent of discrediting a posters' comment.
                          You're mistaken, as usual. I was noting what should be apparent to anybody: Tony is addressing events in Afghanistan, but the needs of the next war may not be the same.
                          What do you suggest as an alternative for the needed hit probability at range?
                          It's impossible to answer that without knowing what hit probability (pH) is actually required of a cartridge for CLAWS. If we go with Tony's idea that 7.62mm pH @ 1000 meters needs to be matched, that's fairly easy to achieve, since 7.62 Ball has close to 0.0 pH at 1000 meters.
                          Be sure to document your answer so the rest of us will know whether you are simply playing games or you are seriously trying to help with understanding.
                          IGNORED
                          Last edited by stanc; 04-11-2014, 04:39 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

• cory
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2012

Trouble is, the info (in post #2) we have on LDAM says only that it's to replace the 7.62 MMG. It does not say that it would be used just for specialized missions.
                            Nor should it. It's not the the job of the developers to write battlefield tactics. That's the job of the commanders in the field.

Comment

• Michael,

Many thanks for the paper -- I have downloaded it and taken a quick glance. It looks to be a good read.

I have struggled with the 'last war' syndrome since 1975 when I first got seriously involved in weapons R&D.

There are several conflicting issues that need to be worked more or less simultaneously:
                              1. The last war is really the one we know, but not necessarily understand, the most about.
                              2. Regardless of potential future threats, those evident in the last few wars remain important.
                              3. Example for (2) above is the large world-wide stockpile of certain classes of weapons.
                              4. Another example is that there is only one nation capable of taking us into the stone age in under an hour, so we must continue to maintain that level of deterrence even though more friendly relations allow a reduction in scale.
                              5. The existing weapons will remain a threat for a long time, and until more serious threats emerge, will define minimum performance for new weapons to counter them.
                              6. Folks do indeed work diligently to project new and emerging threats, but tend to get little traction until our noses get rubbed in it.

The 7.62x54 is an excellent example. It has been around for longer than the 30-06 but still is used by a large number of our actual and potential adversaries.

While the 7.62x51 NATO has similar ballistics, it is our cartridge and weapon system, so we will not justify a new program to beat it. We are, however, likely to insist that a new item be no worse than it in any of several areas so long as the new concept effectively counters present and future adversarial threats.

I expect to see a few blanks in my personal knowledge base filled in as I read through the paper in detail.

Thanks again!
                              Last edited by Guest; 04-12-2014, 02:30 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by stanc View Post
                                ...7.62 Ball has close to 0.0 pH at 1000 meters...
                                That's an interesting assertion.

Would you care to illuminate us on what close to 0.0 means? Single shot, burst, etc.

I ask because the weapon would have been long since replaced if it had zero effectiveness at that range.
                                Last edited by Guest; 04-12-2014, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X