• Show
Clear All
  • stanc
    Banned
    • Apr 2011

For John -- Vikings in Afghanistan

Nowegian troops: To Valhalla!

Danish infantry:

If only they had their M4 carbines converted to 6.5 Grendel...

I had the opportunity to compete against a Danish Sniper Team at FinnSniper 2010. They ended-up placing 3rd, which is only the second time a foreign team has placed within the top 3 slots in FinnSniper's history. They had just come from Helmand Province and had some interesting stories.

They said the Taliban roll-in with dust storms on their compounds, so they would go to 100% security looking through thermals on their .338 AI's whenever there was a dust storm.

They also said there were a lot of major problems with the HK416, including at least one kaboom, since the drive rod would become arrested from sand particles, preventing a full bolt lock. The preferred individual weapon was the M4 by the Nordic Battle groups, as far as personal weapons go, but the big guns do most of the work of course.

There is a lot to be said for the warrior ethos in the Scandinavian countries and Northern Germanic Tribes. Some of the Baltic States have a pretty brutal reputation as well, particularly the Luthuanians. They don't abide by your typical ROE, other than stack bodies to the sky.

If we would just form an International Joint Special Operations contingent command there, and send all the REMF's home, there would be no enemy left. Most US units have their hands tied by ROE and risk-aversive command climates, turning soldiers into FOBbits.

To all the coalition skull crushers out there, thank you for continuing the warrior spirit.

LRRPF52

Comment

• stanc
      Banned
      • Apr 2011

Hey, this is rather off topic, but I've been watching History Channel's new dramatic series, Vikings. Am wondering if any of you with Scandinavian ancestry know if Vikings actually practiced human sacrifice, particularly to the degree shown in last night's episode?

Last edited by stanc; 04-23-2013, 01:56 AM.

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
        Hey, this is rather off topic, but I've been watching History Channel's new dramatic series, Vikings. Am wondering if any of you with Scandinavian ancestry know if Vikings actually practiced human sacrifice, particularly to the degree shown in last night's episode?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQFQN3-Pm8E
        I'm only very distantly Nordic, but spent 5 years in Iceland, and had Viking studies as a class. Prior to Christianity, the Vikings had both ritual sacrifice for offerings, and retainer sacrifice, where children or slaves were sacrificed for funerals of chiefs or other leaders. They also had animal sacrifice.

How widespread and prolific the sacrifice was is debatable, but there have been plenty of "bog bodies" that were obviously strangled and thrown in bogs and even some eye witness accounts of later sacrifices. They had no problem slaughtering large groups in war, either, but I'm not sure that classifies as sacrifice.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
          Administrator
          • Feb 2011

Hey, Stan, funny you should mention that. My Norwegian relatives are in the States for a visit. We had dinner with them Sunday, and we were discussing Vikings (or, Wikings, as they pronounce it). My other half is Finnish, and that's where my last name comes from, and I'm also particularly proud of their sisu spirit against the Russians in the 1939-40 Winter War.

John
          :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
            Warrior
            • Oct 2012

No...it is funny YOU should mention THAT as I was just watching Talvisota! True story.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
              Administrator
              • Feb 2011

Talvisota . . . Talvisota . . . is that the Winter War movie with special effects as realistic as "Saving Private Ryan?"

If so, I've got that in, believe it or not, VCR videocassette! But my copy is grainy and crappy. Is there a clear and sharp DVD version?

John
              :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

Comment

• montana
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2011

In John Plaster's book SOG, they had a short history of Finnish soldier Lauri Torni, "Larry Thorne". His exploits rivaled Oberst Hans Ulrich Rudels. Any one of Finnish decent could be proud of him.

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2012

Hanka, You tube is your friend sir! : )

Simo Haya and his partner were pretty awesome as well.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                    Administrator
                    • Feb 2011

Ah, yes, YouTube! Of course. Gawd knows how much time I've WASTED on YouTube. "Giant Snake Eats Man." "Redneck Jumps Over Car, Lands Face First," "World's Nastiest Blackhead." Might as well watch Talvisota on it!

John

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2012

Hook up the HDMI cable and watch it on the big screen and pack a lunch obviously! The actual War took less time than that movie takes to play. lolz

Comment

Originally posted by stanc View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQFQN3-Pm8E
                        Been watching the series from the start. Reminds me of a biker gang set in the 8th century. The Vikings beliefs, their lack of fear of death, the fact that they were just bigger than most people living back then, gave them a huge advantage.

Not only did the Vikings believe in human sacrifice, the Celts also practiced human sacrifice. As did most of the Goddess worshippers in the Mediterranean region. Look at how the northern tribes then Juda were punished for burning their children alive in worship of the Goddess (Baalot, Asherah/Isis, Ga'ia) http://history-world.org/canaanite_c...d_religion.htm Even the Romans worshipped the Goddess.

Human sacrifice has been widespread in human history.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                          Administrator
                          • Feb 2011

Mayans? Incans? Weren't they also rather bloody?

Comment

• stanc
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2011

For some reason, this photo makes me want to join the Swedish army...

Comment

• stanc
                              Banned
                              • Apr 2011

Which reminds me...has anybody converted an AK5C to 6.5 Grendel?

Comment

Working...
                              X