6.5 Grendel Armor Piercing ammunition data/info...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pinzgauer
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

I guess you need to see the video (you can select the non-HD version in the lower right of the video).... I'm pretty sure any of the M1/m14/mini families would not have fared as well. Discount the bird shot, but throw it out of a helicopter, out of a truck at speed, run it over the truck, hit it with explosives, etc.

I say that not to promote DD, as I think many quality AR's could handle what was shown as well or better than any of the vintage weapons. As can other rifles (HK comes to mind).

While the Garand & M14 deserves respect for many things, I'm not ready to stake my life on one compared to the other options!!!

But then again, for shooting paperstani's on the one way range (nobody shooting back), just about anything works!

Comment

• stanc
      Banned
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by pinzgauer View Post
      I guess you need to see the video (you can select the non-HD version in the lower right of the video)...
      Thanks, I was able to view the non-HD version. I was rather impressed by the jeep/helicopter drop tests and being run over by a jeep. However, was not very impressed by the water dunk, dirt bury (dirt doesn't seep into cracks like sand does), explosion blast and -- as noted earlier -- the bird shot.
      I'm pretty sure any of the M1/m14/mini families would not have fared as well. Discount the bird shot, but throw it out of a helicopter, out of a truck at speed, run it over the truck, hit it with explosives, etc.
      Well, the Mini-14 is not a military rifle, so it could hardly be expected to do well.

OTOH, the M14 did undergo -- and presumably passed -- pretty tough tests before entering service. I have to think a genuine G.I. M14 could do as well as the DD M4 in those demonstrations. (Might need to be fitted with a synthetic stock, though. Not sure if a wood stock could take some of the punishment.)

Definitely, cleaning and maintenance of the AR15/M16/M4 is generally easier than the M14, although the latter has better access to the chamber.
      Last edited by stanc; 06-11-2011, 01:16 AM.

Comment

OTOH, the M14 did undergo -- and presumably passed -- pretty tough tests before entering service. I have to think a genuine G.I. M14 could do as well as the DD M4 in those demonstrations. (Might need to be fitted with a synthetic stock, though. Not sure if a wood stock could take some of the punishment.)

Definitely, cleaning and maintenance of the AR15/M16/M4 is generally easier than the M14, although the latter has better access to the chamber.
        The T44 (Springfield Armory entry prototype that became the M14), T48 (FAL), and AR-10 all did go through some pretty extensive testing. The AR-10 in particular was subjected to "extra" hardships by the test committee, to include sabotaging it..yet the AR-10 still out-performed the FAL and T44 in reliability, and especially accuracy. It was also noted that the shooters found the ergonomics on the AR-10 far superior to the FAL and T44, as well as the recoil characteristics.

Since the T44 was the Ordnance Corps' pet project, the "Not Invented Here" contestants were kicked to the curb. In my personal experiences with the M14, the reliability has been pretty bad as soon as granules of sand get into the action, which is very easy to do with an M14. The mags are also very sensitive to the larger granule sand particles, and things start to spiral downhill quick with it when you get the sand all over. Same is true with any other action, but the AR family keeps large granule sand out much better than most that I have dealt with.

While I have an aficionado/nostalgia relationship with the M14, I'm not a big proponent of it as a service rifle. I doubt an M14 would run after a basic sand immersion test. Armorer-level maintenance for it is a nightmare, and requires true gunsmithing skills from a dedicated and talented gun enthusiast. A soldier who barely passed the ASVAB can replace parts on the AR family with very little training, and no filing, tuning, unitizing, machining, drilling, etc.

LRRPF52

Comment

Ahhh, the search for AP 6.5.

If I could get some, I'd get rid of the 308s...

Comment

• jwilson1985

loki has some in nc now no telling what they r enduring lol...but its nothing they havent been through b4 ,well have no helicopter

Comment

Working...
            X