• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stanc
    Banned
    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
    So, we can start with the M-1 Carbine, and then work our way up in case size until an interesting velocity is reached.
    For this purpose, I would define "interesting" as the velocity needed to punch through hard body armor at practical engagement distances. Might it be more efficient to determine that first, before spending a bunch of time and $$$ evaluating different cartridges?

Are there any suitable COTS bullets available? I used to have a half dozen of the 7.62 SLAP sabots and tungsten projectiles, but a helluva lot more would be needed to do load development and testing.

Comment

Doesn't take a lot of effort and no $$ to get an idea of what velocities might be possible. For example, a 10 minute search of Ammoguide.com and a little work with the embedded velocity estimator suggests that the 7.62x45 Wilson Tactical (http://ammoguide.com/?catid=867) might be a good starting point.

Scaling from their max load for a 110 gr bullet in a 16" barrel to a 52 grain Rem Accelerator gives these estimates:
      • 10.0" Bbl 3290 fps
      • 14.5" Bbl 3500 fps
      • 16.0" Bbl 3550 fps
      • 20.0" Bbl 3650 fps

These velocities, coupled with the strength and density of Tungsten, should take the impact outside of the current protection specs of even very good body armor.

Yes indeed, testing will be needed, but we can see that a tactically interesting package might give a very growth potential as our adversaries improve their protection levels.

And, lest we forget that we are on the 6.5 Grendel forum, we know that it will do as well or better!

Comment

• Variable
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Thanks Tony and everyone!

SnS: Very cool blast from the past! Thanks for sharing that!

Everyone: So who's going to make us some 6.5 sabots??? :-) I've been so ridiculously bored I haven't cared to load anything for a good while, but I would certainly be game to try some sabots through 10.5", 14.5", and 19.5" tubes...
        Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
        We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Variable
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by nincomp View Post
          The E. Arthur Brown Company (eabco.com) sells sabots for .224 bullets in 30 cal cartridges. They also have loading info.
          A General Approach to Loading Saboted Cartridges... Always start with light loads and "work up" your loads to find what functions and shoots best in your firearm. NEVER USE LOAD DATA AS THOUGH IT WERE AN EXACT RECIPE. Every barrel and chamber is different and pressures peak at different levels. Load data is merely a reference or a hint of where to start, what powders to use, and what the potential results might be. Here is an excellent way to proceed...Check the PDF link below to see if the cartridge you want to load with sabots is listed in our computer generated loading reference/data. If it is, use that data as a reference for developing your own loads. By "reference", we mean to use the powder types as a reference for the burn rate of suitable powders. (There are burn rate charts for gun powders available on the internet.) Also by "reference", we mean to use the powder charge weights as a starting point for a particular case capacity: If you are developing a load for a cartridge that has 80% of the case capacity of a listed cartridge, use your judgment to figure a suitable starting load. Case capacities for most cartridges can be looked up on www.ammoguide.com.Sabot Reloading Data PDF - Click to Download

eta: About 10 years ago, I contacted the company that makes the sabots and asked if he made 7mm->.224 or 6.5mm->.224 sabots. At that time he said that he didn't have any demand for them, so he never tried.
          Maybe if we committed to a group order of a certain quantity (to cover their mold cost I'm sure), they might be willing to make them?

Comment

• stanc
            Banned
            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Variable View Post
            Everyone: So who's going to make us some 6.5 sabots??? :-) I've been so ridiculously bored I haven't cared to load anything for a good while, but I would certainly be game to try some sabots through 10.5", 14.5", and 19.5" tubes...
            Ha! You don't know what real boredom is. I haven't been able to go shooting for 14 frakkin' years!

I really miss the smell of gunsmoke...

Comment

• Variable
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
              Ha! You don't know what real boredom is. I haven't been able to go shooting for 14 frakkin' years!

I really miss the smell of gunsmoke...
              Well, I can't come out to Commiefornia, but..... You get yourself shipped out here for a visit, and then I'll put my shrike up on a pintle over your head and you can have a brass shower. Normally ammo is too high to make an offer like that, but for you Stan, I'll offer to make you a human brass catcher!!!

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                Warrior
                • Apr 2013

During the course of opening up old files in search of my experience with the intriguing Discarding Sabot option, in the 1970's - 1980's, I came across a large manila envelope enclosing some forty pages of hand-written notes carefully detailing the exact formula of each style used, along with the shooting results during my adventure with lathe-turned sabots. Rarely noted was a "Successful sabot design." The cartridge I chose was the .375-.358 Winchester wildcat. Not yet hooked on the 6.5mm bore, I elected to experiment with 0.224" and 0.243" diameter projectiles.

Decades before Bill Alexander issue his honest edict, "We shoehorned a bigger cartridge into the gun. . . . ,and you are right at the tipping point," I had the good sense to recognize the risks inherent with such a journey into the unknown. Accordingly, the "test bed" consisting of an AR-15 Bolt-Barrel Extension threaded to a 25-inch long barrel with a rifled .0.375" bore, clamped to a horizontal ladder, was fired, remotely, in the secure basement of the home. Given the cartridge chosen, the AR-15 Bolt face was opened up to 0.473" (That veteran of the "sabot wars" is shown standing on its neck, in the center of the image, below, unabashed and unscathed after hundreds of test firings).

More recently, I considered exploring Cal. 50 BMG Discarding Sabot ammunition. However, that project hasn't materialized, as yet.

Comment

• Tony Williams

Very good, and impressively systematic!

It reminds me of some idle doodlings of my youth (around 1970) concerning a universal hunting rifle, chambered in something like .458 Win Mag or Lott, but with a variety of saboted loadings in different calibres and bullet weights to suit the game being hunted...

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2013

Tony,

Continuing along the vein, "some idle doodlings of my youth (around 1970)," I would offer the following links:

1, http://i62.tinypic.com/sni2dl.jpg My concept of The Rifle of the Future, as envisioned in 1974 (Close-up of the major portion of the concept rifle, only, forward section of the barrel not shown);

2, http://i61.tinypic.com/b626wo.jpg Forward section of the barrel shown, with cutouts depicting German gun-designer Hermann Gerlich's exotic taperd-bore principle*, accompanying projectile with collapsible flanges.

*Any clarification/update you'd care to input is appreciated.

Comment

1974 ??? You have been busy!

I spent that year in Northern Thailand in the Air Force. Was a tad busy with those chores...

Comment

• stanc
                        Banned
                        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Variable View Post
                        Well, I can't come out to Commiefornia, but..... You get yourself shipped out here for a visit, and then I'll put my shrike up on a pintle over your head and you can have a brass shower. Normally ammo is too high to make an offer like that, but for you Stan, I'll offer to make you a human brass catcher!!!
                        Ooooh. Aroma therapy and a brass shower. Sounds great!

I may take you up on that offer after the steel-cased Grendel ammo gets here. Providing both of us live that long, of course.

Comment

• Tony Williams

I may take you up on that offer after the steel-cased Grendel ammo gets here.
                          Would that hurt less than brass?

Comment

• bwaites
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Tony Williams View Post
                            No, but it would be cheaper!

Comment

• stanc
                              Banned
                              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Tony Williams View Post
                              Of course not. But if I'm going to travel all that way to shoot Variable's 5.56 Shrike, I figure I might as well make the trip really worthwhile, and see about doing some major blasting with one of his 6.5 Grendel carbines.

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                                Warrior
                                • Apr 2013

Of course not. But if I'm going to travel all that way to shoot Variable's 5.56 Shrike, I figure I might as well make the trip really worthwhile, and see about doing some major blasting with one of his 6.5 Grendel carbines.
                                Prompted in large part by your tentative travel plans, I moments ago called WOLF Performance Ammo. To update: They expect to be in receipt of 6.5 Grendel Steel Case ammo, next month/2nd quarter, 2014; Distributors (MidwayUSA.com, etc.) will have it in stock, 3rd quarter, 2014. Re the question, Berdan or Boxer primers? Boxer primed!

Comment

Working...
                                X