Ulfberht rifle with Bill Alexander and Kevin Collins.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ulfberht rifle with Bill Alexander and Kevin Collins.

Bill Alexander and Kevin Collins at the NRA national convention with the Ulfberht rifle
    Kevin is the designer of the rifle.

Kevin and Bill.jpg
    Last edited by bwaites; 04-30-2014, 03:30 PM.
  • stanc
    Banned
    • Apr 2011

Pretty cool.

Make it in .338 Norma Magnum (right, below) and it'd be a good companion for the GD LWMMG.

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
      Pretty cool. . . . Make it in .338 Norma Magnum (right, below) and it'd be a good companion for the GD LWMMG.
      He wanted to, and still might, but the spec for Norma Magnum is transient. One day its this, another day its different.

Comment

• Tony Williams

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
        He wanted to, and still might, but the spec for Norma Magnum is transient. One day its this, another day its different.
        It will firm up pretty quickly as soon as any military adopts the LWMMG . I see that there's a presentation on it at NDIA in Phoenix in a couple of weeks, but I'm not going to this one.

Comment

standardize on at least 8.59x65 for a start.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Williams View Post
            It will firm up pretty quickly as soon as any military adopts the LWMMG . I see that there's a presentation on it at NDIA in Phoenix in a couple of weeks, but I'm not going to this one.
            Bill made a point that as an engineer he needs a defined problem. What is the goal and he will design for it. Most of the military wants everything in a round. Sort of what they did for the F35

Comment

• Longshot_34

If I were a wealthy man...

Comment

• stanc
                Banned
                • Apr 2011

I didn't know that. I just assumed that, with Norma producing ammo, there'd be a firm spec. Is .338 NM not a SAAMI round?

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                  Administrator
                  • Feb 2011

I've heard great things about Kevin Collins. Bill says he's very talented designer and expects lots of great things from him.

Given that the case head size is the same as 338LM (0.588), Bill planned from the beginning that the Ulfbehrt could use 338NM, if requested.

John
                  :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• bwaites
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
                    I didn't know that. I just assumed that, with Norma producing ammo, there'd be a firm spec. Is .338 NM not a SAAMI round?
                    No, its not. Its not even in "Pending" status. 338 Lapua is "Pending".

Both are CIP, but evidently the actual chamber dimensions have floated around a little, even while the cartridge has been fixed. Interestingly, both .338 Lapua and .338 NM have the same OAL according to CIP guidelines, completely negating the whole intended purpose of the Norma, which was to allow a shorter action.

Comment

• stanc
                      Banned
                      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by HANKA View Post
                      Given that the case head size is the same as 338LM (0.588), Bill planned from the beginning that the Ulfbehrt could use 338NM, if requested.
                      I'm sure it could. After all, both rounds have about the same OAL, too. It's just that the Norma round is the .338 equivalent of 6.5 Grendel, having a relatively short, fat case and therefore able to use bullets with longer ogives than the .338 Lapua.

Comment

• Tony Williams

Interestingly, both .338 Lapua and .338 NM have the same OAL according to CIP guidelines, completely negating the whole intended purpose of the Norma, which was to allow a shorter action.
                        That's not what I was told when discussing the ammo with its originator, who was present when the LWMMG was unveiled at NDIA a couple of years ago. As Stan says, it was intended to allow the use of longer-ogive bullets within the same overall length as the .338LM.

Comment

• Tony Williams

Stan, have you got any data on those bullets? Who makes them, weight, BC?

Comment

• stanc
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Tony Williams View Post
                            Stan, have you got any data on those bullets? Who makes them, weight, BC?
                            Tony, the picture is in the following post, which may or may not have that info. (Can you read Chinese? )

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                              Administrator
                              • Feb 2011

The shorter Lapua Magnum bullets in the photo look like they have a very small opening at the bottom, sort of like a little crater, which makes me think they're Lapua's "Lock-Base" design, which would make them 250gr FMJs.

John
                              :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

Working...
                              X