Army Orders More M3 Carl Gustaf Recoilless Rifles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army Orders More M3 Carl Gustaf Recoilless Rifles

The Army just awarded a $31 million contract to the Swedish defense company Saab for more Multi-Role Anti-Armor Anti-Personnel Weapon Systems, UPI is reporting.

The M3 Carl Gustaf makes sense. It has far more usability than the AT-4. And double the range.
  • stanc
    Banned
    • Apr 2011

"The launcher weighs approximately 22 pounds... There is an effort to lighten the load of the rifle by five to six pounds..."

Apparently that effort was successful. Enter the 15-lb M4 Carl Gustaf.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

While they're fiddling around with this I still want a 40mm Carl Gustaf firing high BC, laser-ranged, programmable air-burst grenades.
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Variable
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
        "The launcher weighs approximately 22 pounds... There is an effort to lighten the load of the rifle by five to six pounds..."

Apparently that effort was successful. Enter the 15-lb M4 Carl Gustaf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXfHkZ7-D50
        Carbon Fiber and Ti..... Oh my!

Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
        We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Variable View Post
          Carbon Fiber and Ti..... Oh my!

Wow, let's get these certified as "in common use"!

Comment

• Nukes
            Banned
            • Sep 2014

The important metaphysical point is that we have a weapons system that transcends each operational environment.

Comment

• stanc
              Banned
              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
              While they're fiddling around with this I still want a 40mm Carl Gustaf firing high BC, laser-ranged, programmable air-burst grenades.
              Well, the Swedes did have a 20mm Carl Gustaf. The cartridge looks fat enough maybe it could be necked up to 40mm. Feel like doing some wildcatting?

If not, perhaps you could be interested in something midway between 40mm and 84mm?

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                Administrator
                • Feb 2011

Cool finds, as always, Stan. The 20mm Carl Gustaf is along the right lines. Neck up to 40mm for anti-personnel laser-ranged airburst and you've really got something that dismounted infantry can use against crew-served weapons.
                :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• majbdrake
                  Unwashed
                  • Oct 2014

That Russian Bur system looks like an updated M66 LAW system with the disposable launch tube mated with a reuseable optical sight and trigger group.

But that 20mm system would be an excellent Weapons Platoon asset against Light Armored Vehicles and Technicals.
                  Last edited by majbdrake; 12-05-2014, 04:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X