• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stanc
    Banned
    • Apr 2011

Designing a Grendel IAR

A photo posted on arfcom got me to thinking about this subject, which had been discussed on the old forum. As I recall, Variable was interested in making a Grendelized version of the Colt LMG (below).

Since the unique handguard of the Colt weapon is quite hard to find these days, I'm wondering what might be the best alternative fore end to use on a Grendel IAR. Opinions?

The Seekins SP3R looks to me like it might be a good choice, but perhaps there are better alternatives?

• am4966
    Chieftain
    • Jul 2014

The seekins or diamondhead vrs t, but i can't tell how much you can mount to the diamondhead. M27 in 6.5 Grendel would take that platform to another level and truly give or troops a superior upgrade.

Imo
    12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
    Surge - Rugged Suppressor
    Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• pinetreebbs
      Warrior
      • Nov 2013

MagPul MOE?

Comment

• usar_ds
        Bloodstained
        • Aug 2014

personaly if i was going to build a grendel IAR i would go more with something more like this

for quick change barrels like the M249

you could also mate it to a long stoke piston system so you wouldnt have to worry about accidentally bending gas tubes or moving parts attached to each spare barrel

maybe with something like this?

but thats just what I would do
        Last edited by usar_ds; 09-05-2014, 02:09 AM.

Comment

• usar_ds
          Bloodstained
          • Aug 2014

What barrel length were you thinking?

Comment

• Variable
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

I don't know Stan, that's a good question. I haven't been shopping enough lately.

I like the idea of the aluminum heat sink Colt was playing with. If it worked well, I'd go with a finned sink on an 18" hammer forged 4150CMV barrel from FN with SAW chrome. I'd make the barrel around 1.1" diameter at the chamber and just step it down slightly for the sink. I'd go with a .963" gas block and ream it for an LMG gas tube. I guess I'd have to know how much clearance the heat sink would need, and go from there.

If the barrel were intended for .gov (and considering the depth of their pockets...), I'd spring for a stellite liner and call it good.
            Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
            We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• usar_ds
              Bloodstained
              • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Variable View Post
              I don't know Stan, that's a good question. I haven't been shopping enough lately.

I like the idea of the aluminum heat sink Colt was playing with. If it worked well, I'd go with a finned sink on an 18" hammer forged 4150CMV barrel from FN with SAW chrome. I'd make the barrel around 1.1" diameter at the chamber and just step it down slightly for the sink. I'd go with a .963" gas block and ream it for an LMG gas tube. I guess I'd have to know how much clearance the heat sink would need, and go from there.

If the barrel were intended for .gov (and considering the depth of their pockets...), I'd spring for a stellite liner and call it good.
              who is stan??

Comment

• Variable
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Here's an old pic under the handguard of mine.

I'd ditch the grip and carry handle (they could be mounted to the new handguard's rail if/as desired).

Comment

• Variable
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by usar_ds View Post
                  who is stan??
                  Sorry, Stan is "stanc" who started this thread. He wrote some really great articles you may have read and his name (since it's already public-- I wouldn't "out" him otherwise...) is Stan Crist.

He's a pretty swell feller. We get irked at some of the positions he takes sometimes, but he certainly helps keep everybody honest.

ETA: with a re-read I can see where you probably thought I was replying to you and calling you Stan.LOL I should have worded it better.
                  Last edited by Variable; 09-06-2014, 01:30 AM.

Comment

• usar_ds
                    Bloodstained
                    • Aug 2014

Sorry, Stan is "stanc" who started this thread. He wrote some really great articles you may have read and his name (since it's already public-- I wouldn't "out" him otherwise...) is Stan Crist.

He's a pretty swell feller. We get irked at some of the positions he takes sometimes, but he certainly helps keep everybody honest.

ETA: with a re-read I can see where you probably thought I was replying to you and calling you Stan.LOL I should have worded it better.
                    ohh, my bad, i guess it was me that was confused. lol

i have been reading up on the general dynamics .338 norma mag beltfed MMG lately, and been thinking alot about how it needs a 6.5 gren SAW lil brother.

it will be interesting if anyone with a sear actually makes a dedicated one, and what direction they end up going with it.

Comment

• stanc
                      Banned
                      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by am4966 View Post
                      M27 in 6.5 Grendel would take that platform to another level and truly give or troops a superior upgrade.
                      Yeah, that's kinda my thinking, too. Plus, it'd be a helluva lot easier and cheaper for a Horde member to build a magazine-fed Grendel IAR than a belt-fed Grendel LMG.

Comment

• stanc
                        Banned
                        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by pinetreebbs View Post
                        MagPul MOE?
                        A possible candidate. Thanks.

Comment

• stanc
                          Banned
                          • Apr 2011

personaly if i was going to build a grendel IAR i would go more with something more like this
                          https://www.mgi-military.com/store/i...e=&category=11
                          Quick change barrel. I like it.

Comment

• stanc
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2011

What barrel length were you thinking?
                            16.5 inches, because that's the barrel length of the M27 IAR, Mk46 LMG, and LSAT LMG.

Perhaps also plan for a 12.5-inch barrel version, due to that length being used on a CQB variant of the LSAT prototype made for SOCOM.

Comment

• stanc
                              Banned
                              • Apr 2011

I like the idea of the aluminum heat sink Colt was playing with. If it worked well, I'd go with a finned sink on an 18" hammer forged 4150CMV barrel from FN with SAW chrome.
                              I think an aluminum heat sink is an interesting approach. Could possibly be a very good idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X