• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slappy
    Warrior
    • Feb 2014

The New AKs

The Russian manufacturer of the AK-47 assault rifle unveils a new look for its guns, as well as a new logo, at a glitzy event in Moscow.

BANG BANG!!
  • stanc
    Banned
    • Apr 2011

Apparently they don't understand the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" concept.

Upon seeing the photo below, two words instantly came to mind: UGH. LEE.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

They have a video advertisement for it as well, and at one point, you can see an AK receiver slipping in the vice as the serial number is CNC engraved. Pretty funny.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• DRandi
        Bloodstained
        • Jul 2013

Ohhh it gets even better than that....... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...pon-peace.html

David
        A nice walk in the woods helps me relax and relieves tension....

The fact I'm dragging a shovel and a body should be irrelevant...

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
          Administrator
          • Feb 2011

THIS is something like the new AK that the 65G community needs: Mk47 Mutant from CMMG. If there was ever a question of bolt strength there surely is none with this beast! Assuming the Russians make AK mags in 65G for their AK-12, I'm seeing possibilities here. . . .
          :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• 65Whelen
            Warrior
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
            THIS is something like the new AK that the 65G community needs: Mk47 Mutant from CMMG. If there was ever a question of bolt strength there surely is none with this beast! Assuming the Russians make AK mags in 65G for their AK-12, I'm seeing possibilities here. . . .
            This video by Hickok45 with the Mutant you got to wonder how would the Grendel work in it? With the heavy duty bolt, it has potential.

Comment

• Nukes
              Banned
              • Sep 2014

Who Really Designed The AK-47?

Comment

• deer hunter
                Bloodstained
                • Dec 2014

I'm a member of the AK files and one of those guys has a custom AK Grendel.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Nukes View Post
                  Throughout the Cold War, the Russians denied that the Germans had anything to do with the AK. After the collapse,there is a bunch of controversy that Schmeisser was involved the design. Look at the underfolder on the first AKS and AKMS. It's an MP38/MP40 SMG folder all day long. Also, the original Kalashnikov prototypes were folded sheet steel, but the Russians had problems getting the heat treating right, and were forced to go back to the inefficient, costly process of machining billet receivers for the Rifle, 7.62, Avtomat Kalashnikov, introduced in 1947. As to the method of operation, the AK and Mp44 have very few similarities.

The big picture is that they adopted a true intermediate cartridge, after learning some very hard lessons during The Great Patriotic War, whereas the US took those lessons and basically ignored them at Army Ordnance Corps with the abortion known as the M14 and 7.62 NATO cartridge. Soviet doctrine for employment of the AK was really more like an SMG, after echelons of fire had progressed to a point where motorized infantry are able to dismount near the objective, and charge through blasting away on full auto, without much aimed fire. You still see this being used today on footage as recent as this weekend in Grozny.

My close friend was a personal acquaintance of Kalashnikov, and even had his son present him an award at some ceremony honoring Mikhail a number of years ago, so a lot of the information I have learned has been through a very close source. He also had a lot of information on why the really bad stock angle and length of pull was chosen for the AK, due to the cramped space inside of a motorized vehicle for a soldier firing out the individual firing ports, seated with full equipment inside. They departed from that when they went to the AKM, which had a more in-line stock angle.

Ever seen this:
                  Last edited by LRRPF52; 12-08-2014, 08:04 AM.
                  NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Nukes
                    Banned
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                    ...As to the method of operation, the AK and Mp44 have very few similarities....
                    Please hold forth on those differences. I am all ears.

Comment

• montana
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2011

Just from a personal point of view I always thought the similarities in lay out of the two firearms were too close for coincidence. The long stroke piston and similar recoil spring lay out, magazine design are too similar. The Germans STG-44 borrowed the bolt from the Russians SVT Tokarev semi auto rifle. The Russians borrowed the Tokarev's gas system from Belgians Dieudonne Saive's design. Kalishnikov also borrowed the trigger in the AK from the Americans M-1 Garand rifle. Eugene Stoner borrowed many parts of the M-16 from the STG-44 and the bolt from Melvin Johnson's M1941 semi automatic rifle. It would be disingenuous for Kalashnikov to take full credit for his design. He may have put it all together but he borrowed everything from other designs.
                      Last edited by montana; 12-09-2014, 02:32 AM.

Comment

• dmsims21
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2012

I recommend reading the comment section below the article. There seems to be a lot of history on the topic. It is worth reading.
                        www.FriendsvillePrecision.com - AR15 Dry Fire Device

Comment

• montana
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by dmsims21 View Post
                          I recommend reading the comment section below the article. There seems to be a lot of history on the topic. It is worth reading.
                          I did read it. I never claimed Schmeisser was the real inventor, but I do believe the Russians were very influenced not only by the STG-44's capability but by its initial layout. I could be wrong and if I am this would be one of the greatest coincidences in history. If I am wrong it could be why the Russians failed to equal the capabilities of the STG-44 rifle.

Опытный экземпляр автоматического оружия АБ-46 с производственным индексом ТКБ-415, разработанный тульским конструктором А. Булкиным, появился в 1945 году. В этом же году он принимает участие в конкурсе ГАУ ВС Советского Союза совместно с другими экземплярами нового автомата различных
                          Last edited by montana; 12-09-2014, 03:14 AM.

Comment

• Nukes
                            Banned
                            • Sep 2014

Why we are not likely to be replaced by computers as soon as some "singularity" forecasters suggest:

"...performance of the vapor node flue above the barrel.... Stalk shutter has an opening in which to do the battle turning larva with 2 stops fighting type."

Comment

Working...
                            X