• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MKo
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by lrgrendel View Post

BTW How is that round as a sniping round?
    Today 7,62x53R is been used by Finnish army as sniper round in 2 platforms: TKiv m-85 (mosin based sniper rifle platform) and dragunov (7.62 TKiv Dragunov).
    In TKiv m-85 ammo is with 13g D166 bullet. Vo=720m/s@15deg. It is about 0,5MOA or better. I'd say effective range is about 600-700m for head size stationary target. It will definetly turn ones day on bad side with relative ease. And keeping in mind that receiver and bolt is from mosins which could be dated as old as early 1900's.
    On Dragunov finns are using same caliber russian origin MG round. Not as accurate but with Dragunov platform it's deadly in close quarters and in wooded areas. If I get to choose what to carry into firefight in finland dragunov would be my choise any day.
    Small anecdote on Hayha. When he was interviewed he was asked how many rounds he used per kill. After 5sec thinking he responded "we were poor and couldn't wasted anything. So I didn't waste more than one round per customer. "
    With all due respect to his achievements bodycount was mounted mainly due russians poor tactics.
    Still about company Hayha served. It was commanded by Capt Juutilainen. He was first kicked out of finnish military academy due alcohol abuse. He then joined french foreign legion and coming back for winter war. Capt Juutilainen had brother Ilmari Juutilainen. Ilmari was awarded twice !! with Mannerheim cross (equivalent to MoH). For further reading about Hayha and his battle grounds google "Kollaa river winter war".
    If you join winter sniper course in Feb I'll let you try similar rifle Hayha was using. Still quite nice rifle system. Simple as me.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

O
      Originally posted by MKo View Post
      Today 7,62x53R is been used by Finnish army as sniper round in 2 platforms: TKiv m-85 (mosin based sniper rifle platform) and dragunov (7.62 TKiv Dragunov).
      In TKiv m-85 ammo is with 13g D166 bullet. Vo=720m/s@15deg. It is about 0,5MOA or better. I'd say effective range is about 600-700m for head size stationary target. It will definetly turn ones day on bad side with relative ease. And keeping in mind that receiver and bolt is from mosins which could be dated as old as early 1900's.
      On Dragunov finns are using same caliber russian origin MG round. Not as accurate but with Dragunov platform it's deadly in close quarters and in wooded areas. If I get to choose what to carry into firefight in finland dragunov would be my choise any day.
      Small anecdote on Hayha. When he was interviewed he was asked how many rounds he used per kill. After 5sec thinking he responded "we were poor and couldn't wasted anything. So I didn't waste more than one round per customer. "
      With all due respect to his achievements bodycount was mounted mainly due russians poor tactics.
      Still about company Hayha served. It was commanded by Capt Juutilainen. He was first kicked out of finnish military academy due alcohol abuse. He then joined french foreign legion and coming back for winter war. Capt Juutilainen had brother Ilmari Juutilainen. Ilmari was awarded twice !! with Mannerheim cross (equivalent to MoH). For further reading about Hayha and his battle grounds google "Kollaa river winter war".
      If you join winter sniper course in Feb I'll let you try similar rifle Hayha was using. Still quite nice rifle system. Simple as me.
      MKo,

Great post and an incredible gift. Lrrpf52 and I have had lots of long conversation about the Winter War and Hayha, so I have a pretty good idea about what it means to him! Wish I could make your course, but surgery will keep me out of shooting for a while. I'm hoping you come to Boomershoot and bring similar stuff!
      I think I'd like to sponsor a couple evening discussions there on historical long range shooting and snipers.

Comment

• lrgrendel
        Warrior
        • Jul 2013

Originally posted by MKo View Post
        Again very interesting. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X