X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChrisF
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2018

Seriously Guys , please dont try to justify how good the Minimi C9/M249 is by siting the fact that MOST countries use IT , therefore IT must be very good , thats flawed logic due to one over looked single fact , there was in short NOTHING else available .
    At the time of looking for a lite weight LMG , it appeared virtually NO major arms company except FN , was interested on designing & making something , so in short there WAS NO competion at all , so the FN Minimi , won really because it was a ONE horse race from the start.
    The other gun was a scaled down MG42 style gun from Spain , that was worse than the Minimi .

Good or Bad or Average , it didnt matter at all , you had a choice of ONE , thats the main reason IT is in use by so many , that and some countries think that IF a Big country uses IT , it must be GOOD , Opps NO its not .

I see a LMG of the likes of a slightly strenghtend Stoner63A with ejection port side changed to opposite side so as to use in the upside down LMG role ONLY ( ie not made to be used as a rifle ) , in either belt or mag ( top load , Bren style ) .
    Or a RPD , in use for SF , in close country , Jungles .

In open country , just go straight to either GPMG ( FN MAG58 ) , MG3/42 slow , or PKM .

AS to what Armies use , in virtually all cases , they use want they are given , NOT what they want .

Me I would use either GPMG , G8 or PKM , 1st two in 7.62 Nato , last one in 54R , all good guns , and offering a range of weights to suit end use , 2 are belt & 1 mag feed .

Comment

• ChrisF
      Unwashed
      • Jul 2018

Opps ,

When I say G8 , I mean basically , a new HK21E , but with out the option of belt feed , ie welded in magazine well , taking 20-30rd G3 mags , or 50rd drum

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by ChrisF View Post
        Seriously Guys , please dont try to justify how good the Minimi C9/M249 is by siting the fact that MOST countries use IT , therefore IT must be very good , thats flawed logic due to one over looked single fact , there was in short NOTHING else available .
        At the time of looking for a lite weight LMG , it appeared virtually NO major arms company except FN , was interested on designing & making something , so in short there WAS NO competion at all , so the FN Minimi , won really because it was a ONE horse race from the start.
        The other gun was a scaled down MG42 style gun from Spain , that was worse than the Minimi .

Good or Bad or Average , it didnt matter at all , you had a choice of ONE , thats the main reason IT is in use by so many , that and some countries think that IF a Big country uses IT , it must be GOOD , Opps NO its not .

I see a LMG of the likes of a slightly strenghtend Stoner63A with ejection port side changed to opposite side so as to use in the upside down LMG role ONLY ( ie not made to be used as a rifle ) , in either belt or mag ( top load , Bren style ) .
        Or a RPD , in use for SF , in close country , Jungles .

In open country , just go straight to either GPMG ( FN MAG58 ) , MG3/42 slow , or PKM .

AS to what Armies use , in virtually all cases , they use want they are given , NOT what they want .

Me I would use either GPMG , G8 or PKM , 1st two in 7.62 Nato , last one in 54R , all good guns , and offering a range of weights to suit end use , 2 are belt & 1 mag feed .
        There were several submissions to the SAWS competition in the 1970s, including those from Colt XM106, Ford XM248, and HK XM262, along with the FN XM249.

The FN Minimi XM249 just proved to be better than the other competitors, mainly in the reliability department.

Read these articles to learn more
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
        X