• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • biodsl
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2011

Next Military Handguard

In the civilian market, quad rails have given way to a host of lighter handguards in various configurations. In the RFP for the Compact Semi-Auto Sniper System the military specifically called for a handguard that was NOT a quad rail. They were looking for something with a full length rail at 12 o'clock but was configurable otherwise.

Let's say the military came to the Horde for our recommendation. They want two handguards; one for the M4 and one for a C-SASS. What handguards would you recommend?
    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?
  • kmon
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2015

Seekins would be my choice

Comment

• stanc
      Banned
      • Apr 2011

It appears the Army may be looking for a new fore end for the M4A1+, perhaps inspired by SOPMOD Block II?

Note the extended fore end on page 6 of this presentation: http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2015smallarms/Russell.pdf

Comment

• biodsl
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
        It appears the Army may be looking for a new fore end for the M4A1+, perhaps inspired by SOPMOD Block II?

Note the extended fore end on page 6 of this presentation: http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2015smallarms/Russell.pdf
        So it appears they may be looking at keeping a quad rail system...and the weight associated with it.
        Paul Peloquin

Comment

• stanc
          Banned
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
          So it appears they may be looking at keeping a quad rail system...and the weight associated with it.
          Perhaps so. Or, it may be that the picture was just to give a general idea of what they want.

Note that listed under "Focus areas for improvement" is Improved Extended Forward Rails.

Comment

• am4966
            Chieftain
            • Jul 2014

Do you suggest a MLok or Keymod? I prefer MLok, so I'll suggest a rail based off of that platform.
            12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
            Surge - Rugged Suppressor
            Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• biodsl
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2011

Originally posted by am4966 View Post
              Do you suggest a MLok or Keymod? I prefer MLok, so I'll suggest a rail based off of that platform.
              Personally, I don't have a recommendation since I don't have experience with either. My handguards are the older (ha! two years old!) Mid-West Industries SS rails.

I've been out of the Army so long I'm not even sure what your typical 11B hangs off his rifle these days. I'm hoping the Horde collective can give some insight to what would be the hot ticket for our boys going forward.
              Paul Peloquin

Comment

Working...
              X