Clear All
  • stanc
    Banned
    • Apr 2011

Laser-Guided 40mm Grenade

• montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

I wonder if this technology will one day render the sniper obsolete or at least his tool of trade, the precision rifle. Nice find stanc.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

Cool. Good find! All I was asking for was 40mm laser-ranged air-burst with a sleek ogive fired at medium to high velocity from a recoilless mini-Carl Gustav launcher, but this takes it one step further. We'll see how it shakes out.
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Variable
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I'd like to see it to believe it (from a practical fieldability standpoint), but it definitely sounds interesting. I worry about payload though. Conventional 40mm HEDP is somewhat anemic as it is (IMO). If they are going to all the trouble of propulsion and guidance, I'd like to see increased lethality while they are at it.

With an optical guidance section in the nose, I'm going to guess there won't be much shaped charge lensing in a projectile that small. If correct, then we are left with fragmentation and blast effect..... How much?
        Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
        We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• JASmith
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2014

Look at the slightly darker section that wnds about where the guy' left thumb is. That section is about the size of the payload section of the standard 40mm HE round. Indeed the payload might be in that dark section just behind the fins.

The rest is likely to be batteries and electronics even though I am surprised that much room is needed given how compact the guidance module could be and the short duration of guided flight.
          shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
          -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• Variable
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
            Look at the slightly darker section that wnds about where the guy' left thumb is. That section is about the size of the payload section of the standard 40mm HE round. Indeed the payload might be in that dark section just behind the fins.

The rest is likely to be batteries and electronics even though I am surprised that much room is needed given how compact the guidance module could be and the short duration of guided flight.
            The dark section aft of the fins appears to be a rimmed "cartridge casing" to me. I'd suspect it uses a high-to-low pressure propulsion system (similar to the regular 38 blank in a '203) to expell the round from the launcher before the rocket motor ignites. Kind of like the kicker charge in an RPG or a Javelin, etc...

I think you're probably right about the darker silver portion forward of the fins being the payload. If so-- They need to do better.LOL Of course it might be a kind of placeholder, subject to expansion later in the program. It could take up additional space later as other components are further miniaturized.

Comment

• Variable
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

If their smart munitions get any better, they can just orient the launch tube upwards out of a pack. Then slave designation and active guidance inputs to a HUD/laser module mounted on the trooper's helmet...........

Is that you Boba?

Comment

• JASmith
                Chieftain
                • Sep 2014

Do a web search for 'box of rockets"
                shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• Variable
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
                  Do a web search for 'box of rockets"
                  Yep, like a baby "PAM" NLOS, but much smaller, and without the box.LOL

I sit here pondering the capabilities of an iPhone 6+ (Accelerometer, compass, gps, etc.), and I gotta wonder how glorious the guts of that very thin phone (if made bulletproof) would be in sending pain to deserving recipients. "Top down attack on a foxhole?", "Yeah, I got an app for that....."

Comment

• cory
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Variable View Post
                    If their smart munitions get any better, they can just orient the launch tube upwards out of a pack. Then slave designation and active guidance inputs to a HUD/laser module mounted on the trooper's helmet...........

Is that you Boba?

You joke, but that's not a bad idea! With these being laser guided, why not?

Develop a backpack version and a larger version that mounts onto the MRAP. Fired and directed by a laser device mounted on an M4.
                    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Variable
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by cory View Post
                      You joke, but that's not a bad idea! With these being laser guided, why not?

Develop a backpack version and a larger version that mounts onto the MRAP. Fired and directed by a laser device mounted on an M4.
                      Yeah, I was only half joking.LOL

Also-- along my iPhone thinking: The "combat iPhone" (iKillPhone?) could be incorporated into the helmet, and video displayed on the HUD. Then for optical feedback/guidance, the munition could "facetime" with your helmet. You'd have really cool vids of the durkas horrified faces right before the flash....

Comment

• GSPHunter
                        Warrior
                        • Jun 2014

It seems to me that this is really just another piece of the larger Lethal Autonomous Weapons System puzzle. It won't be long before there won't be any humans involved....except of course, the ones being killed.

Comment

• stanc
                          Banned
                          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Variable View Post
                          1:48-1:52

Comment

• GSPHunter
                            Warrior
                            • Jun 2014

stanc,

The problem with any sort of actively guided munition, is that they are always going to be susceptible to jamming/decoying.....These sort of weapons might be useful attacking 3rd world countries (or uppity civilians) but I doubt that they are going to be useful against an opposing force with the same level of technology.

I believe that ease of interfering with guided systems is what will drive the development of L.A.W.S. We really are on the edge of a new kind of warfare, one every bit as game changing as machine guns, airplanes, and nukes.

On a lighter note....when I first saw the video you posted, the "ghost recon" insignia reminded me of this skit :-)
                            Last edited by GSPHunter; 08-22-2015, 07:41 PM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

There's a very active drone war going on as we speak on the Russian-Ukrainian border, complete with jamming, drones acting as Recon and FAC's for Russian artillery, EW, etc.
                              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                              X