• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • customcutter
    Warrior
    • Dec 2014

Why do I need a Trust?

Just starting to investigate making my own suppressor. I have a lathe, 2 milling machines, surface grinder, and other equipment in my garage. I used to make custom knives, I'm not a machinist, but I get by.

What is the purpose of having a Trust, and why do I need one?

Thanks in advance,
    Ken
  • customcutter
    Warrior
    • Dec 2014

I can pay my $200, file my paperwork, get my stamp, and make my own silencer. I know that much. I just don't know why people set up trust for for their NFA items.

Comment

• lamrith
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

Trust is normally easier to do and safer long term or if you pass away, or wish to let other people use the NFA item under your supervision than a personal Form1 set-up. I believe a trust lets you get by the local Leo sign off in some places, but I could be wrong. You will need to check with your local state/county laws.

I would recommend checking out http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/ and search over there, they will likely have tons of info.
      Anderson lower with ALG Combat trigger and Ergo F43 stock:
      18" 1:8 6.5 grendel barrel, 13" troy alpha free float, Mbuis, PA 4-14x44 FFP ACSS scope.
      SAA lower(Form 1 in process)
      16" 1:9 5.56 barrel, A2 sightpost, GI Handguard, Eotech XPS2.0 w/ 1.5-5x magnifier.
      Anderson Pistol lower:
      16" 1:8 300BLK Free Float, Eotech XPS2.0
      6" 9mm with 7" free float and KAK muzzle device, Magpull MBUIS

Comment

• am4966
        Chieftain
        • Jul 2014

No local Leo sign off, no finger prints, if you become incompacitated or die you can have a beneficiary and you can have trustees where they can take out the nfa item(s) without you there

When filing it used to be faster to efile via trust, can't efile personal. But individual and trust are both about the same to do a Form 1

I personally don't see the benefits to building your own unless it's something your really into. Since filing a form 4 is just about the same time as a form 1, except you might have a month or so longer for the form 4.
        12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
        Surge - Rugged Suppressor
        Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• lamrith
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

Form4s for a while were much longer turn around than Form1, plus from experiences I have heard many shops are slow to not only send IN the form4 for customers, but then notify customers they have come back. Efile Form 1 is nice as it is user direct, you know by email as soon as it gets approved. However Form1s of late have increased greatly in time now so they are about equal due to the boom in people doing SBRs and Cans.. Net is no difference in turn around time.

However make your own is 1/2 the price of a cheap can off the shelf. While I will not disclose details, how to build, parts etc on them for liability reasons, you can build your own and be out the door with your suppressor AND TAX STAMP for $400 total. Most off the shelf ones I have seen are $500+ before tax stamp and any local sales tax.

If you are really interested in it, def hit up silencertalk and search the web, quite a bit of information out there. Just take your time and do research before you do anything so you keep yourself legal, it is easy to run afoul of regs if you are impatient.
          18" 1:8 6.5 grendel barrel, 13" troy alpha free float, Mbuis, PA 4-14x44 FFP ACSS scope.
          16" 1:9 5.56 barrel, A2 sightpost, GI Handguard, Eotech XPS2.0 w/ 1.5-5x magnifier.
          Anderson Pistol lower:

Comment

• Everrest
            Bloodstained
            • Jun 2011

Many people have used the GearHog 199Trust $49 deal (expires soon).

If you click on the "Fine Print" it gives the fill in form, with descriptions of the items.
            You will need the GearHog order confirmation number to "redeem" the trust, but the descriptions may help you understand the terms.

As always it is best to consult your local laws, regulations, and a lawyer if you have questions.

Comment

• customcutter
              Warrior
              • Dec 2014

Thanks for the responses, I'll check out the silencertalkforum. Looks like the main advantages are no CLEO sign off, no fingerprints, no pictures, someone else in the trust able to use the can without me being there. I called a LGS a few months back and they asked what I wanted a silencer for I told them a 6.5 Grendel, and they quoted me $2000, plus stamp and taxes, I can build one for scrap prices. I have some titanium tubing, and stainless steel for the core. So it's mostly time as an investment.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by customcutter View Post
                Thanks for the responses, I'll check out the silencertalkforum. Looks like the main advantages are no CLEO sign off, no fingerprints, no pictures, someone else in the trust able to use the can without me being there. I called a LGS a few months back and they asked what I wanted a silencer for I told them a 6.5 Grendel, and they quoted me $2000, plus stamp and taxes, I can build one for scrap prices. I have some titanium tubing, and stainless steel for the core. So it's mostly time as an investment.
                Whoever told you $2000 for a can + tax and stamp is smoking some serious crack. You can get high end all Titanium cans with fees and tansfers for way less than that.

The shortest, quickest route into a can is the solvent trap route, then cut your own baffles from freeze plugs, and Form 1. They have most of the work done with the threaded tubes, quality muzzle devices for brake attack, end caps, etc.

Notice that Titanium tubes are between $40 and $55. Their brakes are very nice units as well.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• lamrith
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                  Whoever told you $2000 for a can + tax and stamp is smoking some serious crack. You can get high end all Titanium cans with fees and tansfers for way less than that.

The shortest, quickest route into a can is the solvent trap route, then cut your own baffles from freeze plugs, and Form 1. They have most of the work done with the threaded tubes, quality muzzle devices for brake attack, end caps, etc.

Notice that Titanium tubes are between $40 and $55. Their brakes are very nice units as well.
                  Ti are a +$40-64 adder over the carbon steel.. 7.6ti tube $73.49
                  Brakes are very nice and they have now added a flash hider with QD for those that do not want a brake. I went direct thread as 2 of 3 of the guns I have were 5/8-24 and I got an adapter to make the other one that thread..

18" Brownells Grendel barrel with a 7.6" D-cell Ti tube suppressor..
                  20150824_172022.jpg
                  Anderson Pistol lower:

Comment

• am4966
                    Chieftain
                    • Jul 2014

Originally posted by customcutter View Post
                    Yeah that's bs, I just bought a Rugged Surge got it on sale, can, stamp and transfer fee will be around 1100 you can get cheaper cans but still very good quality. Arfcom in the suppressor section you can ask the for a dealer in your area who's on the level. Maybe buy from them or go thru silencer shop or capitol armory shit capitol has 45+ .30 cal cans 2 6.5mm cans.

Just need to know what's important weight, sound, and so on them you'll get suggestions.
                    12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                    Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                    Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• customcutter
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2014

I will add that it was right after the Fl Fish and Game Commission had voted to allow cans for hunting. So maybe there was a brief shortage at the time. He did say they only had 2 in the store, pay your money, fill out the paper work, pay for your stamp, and wait till it gets out of "jail". LOL

Comment

• Drift
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2014

I don't think customcutter wants a can to protect his own hearing I think he is just trying to not
                        wake the neighbors up.

Comment

• customcutter
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Drift View Post
                          I don't think customcutter wants a can to protect his own hearing I think he is just trying to not
                          wake the neighbors up.
                          Yes, some of the property that I'm hunting on is close to houses. Even though I would never shoot anywhere toward the direction they are in, sound travels a long way at night. I don't want any trouble from the neighbors, or curious LEO's, and therefore getting me kicked off the property I'm allowed to hunt.

Comment

• lamrith
                            Warrior
                            • Sep 2014

Even a DIY can will help considerably in that regard, lower dB AND different sound profile. Plus using subsonic ammo. If you do not shoot subs then you will have a big issue with bullet Crack rippling thru the calm night air and might as well just shoot unsuppressed.
                            Anderson Pistol lower:

Comment

Working...
                            X