Anyone played with barrel length and suppressors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AR_Hunter-Reloader
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2018

Anyone played with barrel length and suppressors?

• Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

I'm betting most of your noise is from the chamber, some from the can, especially the supersonic crack that you will not be able to muffle.
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
      Chieftain
      • Oct 2016

My Tranquillo works great on both my 12.7 and 18”. Hearing safe on both, or at least no worries about shooting next to someone.
      Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• AR_Hunter-Reloader
        Unwashed
        • Jan 2018

Comment

• Kswhitetails
          Chieftain
          • Oct 2016

I do notice a little gas release, but not bad. The crack is by far the loudest (seemingly) portion of the event for my weapons.
          Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Klem
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

AR-Hunter,

I am looking at three different muzzle pressures (Quickload) for typical supersonic ammunition that your suppressor is going to cool/slow/contain.

13,000lbs for the 12.5" Grendel.
            7,500lbs for the 20" Grendel.
            4,500lbs for the 16" Blackout.

Your 30cal suppressor will have about .02" clearance between the exiting bullet and the baffles in the Blackout. Using a 30cal on a 6.5mm increases the clearance gap to about .032". I have not tried this myself however have read that having more clearance decreases the back-pressure in a semi-auto which means that less gas is being contained by the suppressor and more is permitted to escape out to the front. More pressure out the front means more sound so it's a compromise idea.

Looking at the muzzle pressures and clearance it is fair to say that your Blackout is going to be the quietest of all three scenarios and your 12.5 is going to be the loudest. I take it your suppressor is rated for the higher pressure of the short barrel? Regardless, it is going to take more punishment and wear-out faster.

One last thought...using suppressors with supersonic rifle ammunition is not hearing safe. You are going from about 170+ decibels down to 140db. I know we would like to think it is hearing safe given the cost and effort but that is just the reality of physics. Around 30db of reduction is the most you can expect with current designs. We used these things at work all the time and always wore hearing protection as part of compulsory PPE. Hearing loss is a cumulative thing so a few shots here and there when hunting may not be noticed in the scheme of growing old but probably not wise to not wear them just to make a point.

Comment

• AR_Hunter-Reloader
              Unwashed
              • Jan 2018

Comment

• fixin
                Warrior
                • Apr 2018

why not drop to a 18" then? you'll still get some of the gains from the longer barrel, however won't be too long in the length category. Plus you will only lose about 150 fps from the 20" barrel
                to procrastinate... tomorrow!!

Comment

• Sticks
                  Chieftain
                  • Dec 2016

Closer to 40fps in 2 inches. Under 18 then you start dropping fps like mad.
                  Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• AR_Hunter-Reloader
                    Unwashed
                    • Jan 2018

Comment

• fixin
                      Warrior
                      • Apr 2018

Originally posted by AR_Hunter-Reloader View Post
                      What would I see the boxed Hornady 123 amax in the 18” barrel with 1:8?
                      I have had groups as small as 3/4" at 100yds out of my Alexander Arms, and that is with myself and 2 others on the gun. Velocity wise I'm not quite sure, I do not have a chrono to give you that data.

Comment

• Klem
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

What would I see the boxed Hornady 123 amax in the 18” barrel with 1:8?
                        Around 2430fps.

Comment

• montana
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                          AR-Hunter,

I am looking at three different muzzle pressures (Quickload) for typical supersonic ammunition that your suppressor is going to cool/slow/contain.

13,000lbs for the 12.5" Grendel.
                          7,500lbs for the 20" Grendel.
                          4,500lbs for the 16" Blackout.

Your 30cal suppressor will have about .02" clearance between the exiting bullet and the baffles in the Blackout. Using a 30cal on a 6.5mm increases the clearance gap to about .032". I have not tried this myself however have read that having more clearance decreases the back-pressure in a semi-auto which means that less gas is being contained by the suppressor and more is permitted to escape out to the front. More pressure out the front means more sound so it's a compromise idea.

Looking at the muzzle pressures and clearance it is fair to say that your Blackout is going to be the quietest of all three scenarios and your 12.5 is going to be the loudest. I take it your suppressor is rated for the higher pressure of the short barrel? Regardless, it is going to take more punishment and wear-out faster.

One last thought...using suppressors with supersonic rifle ammunition is not hearing safe. You are going from about 170+ decibels down to 140db. I know we would like to think it is hearing safe given the cost and effort but that is just the reality of physics. Around 30db of reduction is the most you can expect with current designs. We used these things at work all the time and always wore hearing protection as part of compulsory PPE. Hearing loss is a cumulative thing so a few shots here and there when hunting may not be noticed in the scheme of growing old but probably not wise to not wear them just to make a point.
                          That was very helpful Klem, thanks for sharing.

Comment

• Pugsbrew
                            Unwashed
                            • Mar 2018

I built a 12.5” pistol setup using a BA Hanson barrel firing through a Deadair Sandman S. It’s just barely hearing safe with the Hornady 123’s. I added a Superlative Arms adjustable gas block to help vent some of the gas. Still just barely hearing safe. I’m considering building a 18” or 20” setup if I can make it quieter. I’m trying to build a rig that can be used with a hunting partner, wife, right next to me without too much noise. The can does a good job on my 16” 300 BLK.

Any advice
                            Would the -L series help?

I'm thinking of my 12.7 barrel build and wondering what the Deadair Sandman suppressors can actually do. I'm just getting in to this game, so any input would be appreciated.

Comment

• fixin
                              Warrior
                              • Apr 2018

Originally posted by Pugsbrew View Post
                              Would the -L series help?
                              I'm thinking of my 12.7 barrel build and wondering what the Deadair Sandman suppressors can actually do. I'm just getting in to this game, so any input would be appreciated.

I suggest doing all of the research you possibly can and take a deep look at what you want the gun to do. Definitely don't settle... if you are looking for a light weight build then a titanium suppressor will be the better option, if you want a little bit of weight then you can't go wrong with alloy. One last tidbit... there is no set standard for suppressor testing. Military do their tests one way, a company does it their own way and another company does it even differently, so just because a company advertises a particular decibel rating doesn't necessarily mean it will work for your application. I have a Q LLC trash panda sitting in jail currently, I picked it for the weight, construction, price and mounting option and ignored the decibel rating since I don't have any first hand accounts/experience for the sound reduction.

Comment

Working...
                              X