• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CVN2891
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2018

12.5" mid-length gas port size

I have an extra cheap 18" mid length Grendel barrel that I don't have a plan for and I've been wanted to try a Grendel sbr. I'm planning to get the 18" cut down to 12.5" or so and have the gas port opened up.

Now, I know this is not a recommended set-up, but I want to give it a shot anyway as something to mess around with. I'll be planning to shoot it suppressed, and plan on throwing an adjustable gas block on it. I'm pretty confident I can get it to run ok suppressed.

Even though the main point is to have it for shooting with a can, I figure I might as well try to get it to run unsuppressed with the gas block opened up more in case I want to burn up some Wolf from a short package . The issue is that I don't really know what size I should have gas port drilled to. I'd like to open up to a size that should definitely work, but I don't want to go totally crazy with the size. Right now I'm thinking 0.100 should work, but I'm wondering if anybody has tried this before, or maybe has insight as to how I could calculate the size more scientifically that my semi-educated guess about it.

Thanks.
  • CVN2891
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2018

Yeah, that's a good point, I know it needs to be oversized because of the short dwell time given by only having a couple inches of barrel after the port, but maybe 0.1 way oversized considering it's a midlength start with.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

For a MLGS 12.5", I would start at .0935" and take it from there.

It will run suppressed with a smaller port than that with 120gr+ ammo, but unsuppressed, it might not.

I think you're in the right mindset with .100", but test it out.

Also consider cold weather and reliability.

There's a guy who cut down one of his LaRue 18" to 12.5", but I don't remember what port he used.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• CVN2891
        Unwashed
        • Aug 2018

Cool, thanks for the advice, I'll probably go with 0.935" unless somebody else chines in who has actually tested one.

Comment

• CVN2891
          Unwashed
          • Aug 2018

In case anybody is interested for future reference, I went ahead with the 0.0935" gas port and runs like a champ with a non adjustable gas block. Locks back every time with Wolf and Hornady Black, and ejects at 4:00. I'm running an H1 buffer.

This was my first time with a short barrel Grendel and it's awesome, concussion isn't bad, recoil impulse is very mild with the midlength gas and it's sub-moa with the Hornady.

Comment

• biodsl
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2011

Amazing stuff! I didn't know a 12" middy would function well. Congrats!
            Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• CVN2891
              Unwashed
              • Aug 2018

Thanks! I wasn't sure about it either, but I'm glad I went ahead and tried it.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Your next test should be in cold weather to see if it will still run.

Right now, you have a system that is really easy on the components and should be a smooth shooter.

Thanks for the data points on a 12.5" MLGS .0935" gas port with H1 buffer.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• CVN2891
                  Unwashed
                  • Aug 2018

Sure thing, I'll report back when I get a chance to do some shooting in the cold. It's still hitting 90 here in Texas, so it might be a while.

Comment

• CVN2891
                    Unwashed
                    • Aug 2018

In case anyone is interested, I shot it a bit with temps in the mid to high 30s and it still ran fine and locked back. Probably won't shoot it in anything much colder than anytime soon.

Comment

• Mhan7
                      Bloodstained
                      • Nov 2020

I'm happy you posted this. I have encountered NOTHING but naysayers, including my own damned gunsmith, on this very topic.

My own preference on almost any barrel, is a +1 gas system. But then again, I'm not slogging my gun off into battle. And I'm not the kind of keyboard warrior who views everything through that lens.

Let he who wants a Bronco, drive a Bronco, and he who wants a Ferrari, a Ferrari.

Comment

• montana
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2011

My 12.5" Lilja Barrel has a step gas port. The widest on the outside step is .083 and the inner step is .072 with a carbine gas system. I would gather the mid length gas system would have to be near the .093+. Best to start small and work up...
                        Last edited by montana; 11-25-2020, 12:25 AM.

Comment

• Mhan7
                          Bloodstained
                          • Nov 2020

Originally posted by montana View Post
                          My 12.5" Lilja Barrel has a step gas port. The widest on the outside step is .083 and the inner step is .072 with a carbine gas system. I would gather the mid length gas system would have to be near the .093+. Best to start small and work up...
                          Did you specifically step the port with the idea in mind to open it up, should it not function at the smaller diameter?

Comment

• montana
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Mhan7 View Post
                            Did you specifically step the port with the idea in mind to open it up, should it not function at the smaller diameter?
                            Lilja manufactured the barrel gas port this way. Bushmaster also did this with their 5.56 barrels back in the 90's. I'm not sure why this is done. Perhaps someone on this forum would have this answer, since I can not see any advantage for doing this.

Comment

• Mhan7
                              Bloodstained
                              • Nov 2020

Oh, I see. I thought you did it custom.

If I had to take an educated guess at it, I would say that it's probably just to create a "venturi", so as to get some pressure gradient that corresponds to a given hole size, but without drilling a hole that risks touching the high spots of the rifling. Small hole through bore, but venturi effect entering the gas block.

Comment

Working...
                              X