• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

ATF Gun Classification Decoded

If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Lmao love it lmao.

Comment

• montana
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

I just had a flash back of being in my old sociology class.

Comment

• rebby
        Warrior
        • Mar 2017

From what I can tell at a glance, that’s mostly correct. I don’t see anything egregiously incorrect here so you could actually follow it as a decent guideline to avoid putting together something that could end up classified as NFA. It is a fantastic illustration of how arbitrary (and arguably stupid) current gun laws are though. Sigh...

Comment

• Bigs28
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2016

The one thing i see that i read differently was that verticle foregrips were ok on pistols now as well.

I don't remember where i read it and it didn't apply to my rifle anyway.
          Last edited by Bigs28; 12-16-2018, 08:47 PM.

Comment

• rebby
            Warrior
            • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
            The one thing i see that i read differently was that verticle foregrips were ok on pistols now as well.

I don't remember where i read it and it didn't apply to my rifle anyway.
            VFGs are fine as long as OAL>26”. Based on recent interpretations, OAL (in this case) is measured with the gun in it’s most compact configuration. For example, the brace fully collapsed or the gun folded (if equipped with something like a LAW Tactical folder).

This is one of those areas with enough ambiguity that I strongly recommend against a VFG unless it is essentially required by the shooter for some reason (like some sort of hand injury). The various AFGs on the market are always an option.

Full disclosure, I’m not a fan of a forward VFGs on any configuration (SBR, AOW, or rifle), that’s just my personal bias creeping in though.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Excellent graph. It could be even more arbitrary, hilarious, and informative if it included:

26" OAL firearm with a VFG

Pistol with brace and Slightly angled VFG outside of the 90˚ specific ATF definition for a VFG that would normally make an AOW, but doesn't

Franklin Armory 11.5" Reformation with Binary Trigger

Last edited by LRRPF52; 12-18-2018, 06:31 PM.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• wraith1516
                Warrior
                • Dec 2014

what if you put a (threaded)muzzle break on the reformation

Comment

• NugginFutz
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

Shouldn't matter - the Reformation isn't Shotgun/Rifle/SBR. It uses "straight rifling", so it is not a smoothbore (shotgun), twist rifling (Rifle/SBR). As such, under the current NFA guidelines, the barrel length is not regulated - as far as I understand the spiel from Franklin Armory. The triumvir muzzle break which is a stock item on the Reformation is, AFAIK, a threaded device.

So, what distinction are you trying to illustrate?
                  If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• wraith1516
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2014

my thought on it is if you take a piece of ar barrel put threads on it (to screw it on the end of the bbl) port it so it be call a compensator but leave the internal diameter of the bbl at .223 kind of same principle as a rifled choke on a shot gun

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                      Chieftain
                      • Oct 2016

Originally posted by wraith1516 View Post
                      my thought on it is if you take a piece of ar barrel put threads on it (to screw it on the end of the bbl) port it so it be call a compensator but leave the internal diameter of the bbl at .223 kind of same principle as a rifled choke on a shot gun
                      That sounds like a fair bit of disaster waiting to happen.
                      Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Old18C
                        Unwashed
                        • Jun 2019

Funny and informative, PERFECT

Comment

• Lastrites
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2017

In a recent conn case the atf measured everything that didn't fold with the braces extended similar to how they currently measure a rifle with a stock. Anything that folded with the Law Tac., got measured with it in the folded position and that is where the Conn shop dipped their toes in the water as they had vfg's attached. Charged with nondocumented AOW's instead of them being considered "firearms" as it being folded didn't meet the 26" length minimum.

So a pistol with brace that is 26" or > when a vfg is attached transforms into a "firearm", remove the vfg and it becomes a pistol once again. If when in "firearm" form with vfg it cannot be concealed or it becomes an AOW.

Current method of ATF measuring with a brace is to measure with brace extended without muzzle device unless it is pin/welded, if it has a Law Tac on it then it is measured when folded. Of course the ATF could change this method at anytime but currently this is how they took one shop down the rat hole.

Above is on the federal level, know your state laws as they may differ, such as TN or MI which have certain restrictions.
                          Last edited by Lastrites; 06-19-2019, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X