• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HickLife
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2018

Quick detach suppressor suggestions

Hey guys I'm looking for a quick detach suppressor to put on a 10.5" that I am building. I want to be able to quickly swap it to a 12.5 I'm planning and also my 24". I mostly don't want to fiddle with taking the suppressor off, then putting the muzzle device on every single time I swap it out. I'll probably mostly use the suppressor for hunting too It's not going to live on one gun and will probably come off after each use.

The list I have kinda come up with so far is-

-Dead air sandman- I like this because you essentially just twist it off, no levers or anything

-Dead air nomad- Same attachment, but a quarter inch fatter which could make fitting it partially under a hand guard an issue. There is also a muzzle brake/ flash hider that attaches to the muzzle devices the same as the suppressors

-Surefire soccm- I really like what I'm seeing about the warcomp flash hider. They also have a suppressor specifically for the 6.5 calibers. But I'm not a huge fan of the detachment, I want to have my hand guard (I'm thinking the full barrel length since the muzzle device will still stick out past the end when it's threaded on) out as far as I can and still be able to take the suppressor off easily.

-OSS Helix- Honsestly probably my favorite of them all so far, it has was seems to be a great muzzle device and it also just twists on but it is designed so that when it is fired it actually tightens it down. No moving parts, screw it on and go.

-Silencerco Saker- Very modular, you can swap out the endcap and from what I see you can make it addapt to other

-yhm phantom- I don't know how I feel about the muzzle device having moving parts integrated into it and not having it all on the suppressor. I do like that it just threads though.

So what do yall think? Which would yall go with? If you have one would you go with it again? If there is one yall like and I didn't mention it just let me know and I'll look into it.
  • Drillboss
    Warrior
    • Jan 2015

I have one of these in jail at my LGS. https://thunderbeastarms.com/products/ultra-5

I'll be running it on a 12.5" and on a 16" barrel. The can threads on to a brake or flash hider: https://thunderbeastarms.com/products/accessories

Comment

• blackhog
      Unwashed
      • Dec 2014

Next can for me will be Q Trash Panda

Comment

• STXjake
        Bloodstained
        • Dec 2018

Comment

• imaguy3
          Warrior
          • Mar 2018

I have the sandman K and the qd system is the bees knees. I wanted the same thing, to swap cans b/t guns with a repeatable interface so my zeros never changed. I swap my can b/t 3 guns, a .223 AR, my Grendel AR, and my 280ai bolt gun. The last two of which have hit 1050 and 1350 respectively.

I have had zero issues with it and absolutely love how I don't have to worry about my zero changing and messing up my drop charts downrange. On my 223 I have the flash hider and it's great, I have the compensator on the other two guns and it's a bad idea to use without earpro if the can's not attached, but works well.

This is a 5 shot group with my 280ai at 100 yards when I was testing how consistent it would be. The can was removed after the first 3 shots (outlined in black marker on left, bottom, right) and placed on my grendel for awhile, then I put the can back on the 280ai and shot 2 more shots (center and top).

I can't argue with it..

Last edited by imaguy3; 02-02-2019, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• imaguy3
            Warrior
            • Mar 2018

you mentioned wanting a full length handguard... just to give you an idea.. here's a 15" handguard on 16" barrel with the sandman K

Comment

• imaguy3
              Warrior
              • Mar 2018

here it is on a 24" barrel... only adds a few inches onto the gun.. However for the shorter barrels you may want to use the Sandman S... as the K is giving up some performance for small size

Comment

• HickLife
                Bloodstained
                • Dec 2018

imaguy You're really making me like the sandman, how much space is between the hand guard and the suppressor? It looks good

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2013

DO NOT BUY THE OSS HELIX!!!

My hunting partner, HuntTXhogs has one. It works, but has issues. I would say that their quality control is not what you want to pay for. It doesn't seem to have the backpressure issues that others have, which can be a huge plus, but my impression of his suppressor is that for a precision instrument, it isn't very precise in the QC.
                  Kill a hog. Save the planet.
                  My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• imaguy3
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2018

Originally posted by HickLife View Post
                    imaguy You're really making me like the sandman, how much space is between the hand guard and the suppressor? It looks good
                    Here's some comparison photos... both these guns have 16" barrels and the stocks are set at same length... This allows you to see the small length increase the sandman K adds over just a muzzle device. Like I said though, for the shorter barrels I really would step up to the S. I chose the K b/c it was so inexpensive at the time and I wanted sound suppression with minimal weight/length added. I wasn't chasing super quiet.

These photos then are just closeups of the end of the handguard so you can see the gap. I'm not really going to measure it but it is just right for me.

Comment

• HickLife
                      Bloodstained
                      • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post

My hunting partner, HuntTXhogs has one. It works, but has issues. I would say that their quality control is not what you want to pay for. It doesn't seem to have the backpressure issues that others have, which can be a huge plus, but my impression of his suppressor is that for a precision instrument, it isn't very precise in the QC.
                      What sort of issues? Bad welds, bad machining? or is the zero severely changed?

Imaguy- Thanks for the pictures. I'll probably go with the S, it's not much longer and with a 10.5 barrel it won't be much over 17 inches, which is awesome for a suppressed gun. My 24" gun is already so dang long (It's also heavy but it has practically zero recoil) that another 6.8" won't make much of a difference.

I also don't think anyone has made a decent subsonic round for these either so it will be mostly taking the edge off of it for hunting. I would still wear muffs for range use though.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post

That's why the original owner/inventor left the company. He said the new owner/investor was directing staff to allow suppressors that didn't pass QC to make it out the door, with alarming rates that should have been corrected or rejected.

Owner/Investor didn't care because all he wanted was margins. We've seen this story over and over across multiple industries.
                        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Sinclair
                          Warrior
                          • Feb 2018

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                          That's why the original owner/inventor left the company. He said the new owner/investor was directing staff to allow suppressors that didn't pass QC to make it out the door, with alarming rates that should have been corrected or rejected.

Owner/Investor didn't care because all he wanted was margins. We've seen this story over and over across multiple industries.
                          Amen, Brother!!!!!
                          "A Patriot must always be ready to defend his Country against his government"
                          Edward Abbey

"Stay out of trouble, Never give up, Never give in, Watch you're six, Hold the line, Stay Frosty."
                          Dr. Sabastian Gorka, Hungarian by birth, American Patriot by Beliefs.

Comment

• HickLife
                            Bloodstained
                            • Dec 2018

I hate that a compony is trying to just pump out a product and not worrying about quality. They look like they would be fantastic suppressors.

I'm going to go with the sandman-s. I subscribed to bigdaddy unlimited recently and if you are not a member I highly suggest it. The prices on there are generally 20-30% cheaper than anywhere else. The sandman-s is 20 ish percent cheaper on there saving you 155 bucks, almost paying for the stamp.

I'm also going to get the NOX dead air muzzle devise from sons of liberty gun works. It's essentially the surefire warcomp for deadair suppressors.

Comment

• imaguy3
                              Warrior
                              • Mar 2018

Originally posted by HickLife View Post
                              I hate that a compony is trying to just pump out a product and not worrying about quality. They look like they would be fantastic suppressors.

I'm going to go with the sandman-s. I subscribed to bigdaddy unlimited recently and if you are not a member I highly suggest it. The prices on there are generally 20-30% cheaper than anywhere else. The sandman-s is 20 ish percent cheaper on there saving you 155 bucks, almost paying for the stamp.

I'm also going to get the NOX dead air muzzle devise from sons of liberty gun works. It's essentially the surefire warcomp for deadair suppressors.
                              Good choice on the suppressor.. but why spend the extra money on the nox device over using the dead air devices?

Comment

Working...
                              X