• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Vfg/pistol oal

If I'm understanding the rulings correctly, my pistol grendel that from the back of the buffer tube to end of bare muzzle is 27 1/4 inches. Is legal to put a magpul vfg on?

I'm I reading the ruling correctly?
  • FRB6.5
    Warrior
    • Oct 2018

Is very much a "here be dragons" area of this game of "Simon Says". IANAL but the recent moves against the Freedom Shop and Black Aces seemed to very clearly imply that the overly vague not a handgun/not a rifle/not a sbs; "Firearm" classification is for the little shotguns 'as approved'. It also seemed to reaffirm the classification of AR pistols as we know them. Overall I didn't think it was as dire an action as many gun news outlets portrayed. The Freedom Group deal was largely to skirt some state laws and their choices went in a direction that wasn't liked and it backfired.

Some would say if you feel the need to poke the bear to use one that is NOT perfectly vertical such as a BCM.

For myself I'll stick with the approved MagPul AFG or a hand stop when needed.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by FRB6.5 View Post
      Is very much a "here be dragons" area of this game of "Simon Says". IANAL but the recent moves against the Freedom Shop and Black Aces seemed to very clearly imply that the overly vague not a handgun/not a rifle/not a sbs; "Firearm" classification is for the little shotguns 'as approved'. It also seemed to reaffirm the classification of AR pistols as we know them. Overall I didn't think it was as dire an action as many gun news outlets portrayed. The Freedom Group deal was largely to skirt some state laws and their choices went in a direction that wasn't liked and it backfired.

Some would say if you feel the need to poke the bear to use one that is NOT perfectly vertical such as a BCM.

For myself I'll stick with the approved MagPul AFG or a hand stop when needed.
      Thanks for the reply sir.

But you didn't answer the question. So I will take that as I have no clue and never read the rule's if the atf.

Can anybody confirm that I'm reading the atf rules correctly?

Comment

• FRB6.5
        Warrior
        • Oct 2018

Prior to what happened with Freedom Shop and Black Aces it was considered the "cool kid" thing to do and you will see it mentioned in many youtube videos etc.

Since then it is straight up playing with fire even if your combination of parts fits within the letter of their law. My point above is they can change what they mean at will and they often get away with it.

Look for the sections mentioning concealed.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by FRB6.5 View Post
          Prior to what happened with Freedom Shop and Black Aces it was considered the "cool kid" thing to do and you will see it mentioned in many youtube videos etc.

Since then it is straight up playing with fire even if your combination of parts fits within the letter of their law. My point above is they can change what they mean at will and they often get away with it.

Look for the sections mentioning concealed.
          Sir. I'm wanting to know if I'm reading the current atf ruleing correctly. As per what is on the atf website.

Ar pistols are measured from end of buffer tube to bare muzzle face, if muzzle device isn't pinned.

If oal is over 26 inches it says a fvg is legal to attach.

That is how I'm reading it.

I'm asking if anyone else is reading these same things on the atf website the same as me.

I'm not worried what happens to whom in 2018 are before. I'm wanting to know if I'm reading the rule's correctly based on what was updated by the atf in early 2019.
          Last edited by A5BLASTER; 02-12-2020, 02:20 AM.

Comment

• mtnlvr
            Warrior
            • Feb 2019

Yes, you can currently legally add a VFG to an AR pistol if the OAL is greater than 26"...as long as you're not concealing it. Just bear in mind that it may draw undesired attention by improperly informed persons of law and lead to a bit of a hassle.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by mtnlvr View Post
              Yes, you can currently legally add a VFG to an AR pistol if the OAL is greater than 26"...as long as you're not concealing it. Just bear in mind that it may draw undesired attention by improperly informed persons of law and lead to a bit of a hassle.
              Thank that's what I was hoping I would hear and that I wasn't reading it incorrectly.

I seen the verbage about it not being conceled. I don't keep mine concealed, it rides on the dash are passenger seat in a side mount muzzle up.

Roger that on illinformed leo.

Comment

• Lastrites
                Warrior
                • Apr 2017

Measure from the back of the rec ext to the end of your threaded barrel, greater than 26" than you can put a vfg on your pistol and it will be classified as a "firearm", remove vfg and it returns to its pistol designation. As mentioned do not conceal it with the vfg attached or it will then be considered an "AOW". Changing from the pistol classification to a firearm may affect how you can carry/store it in your vehicle as a CCW license covers a pistol and maybe not a firearm due to State laws, example is some States allow a loaded pistol in the vehicle but not a firearm.

Know/review your State laws.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Lastrites View Post
                  Measure from the back of the rec ext to the end of your threaded barrel, greater than 26" than you can put a vfg on your pistol and it will be classified as a "firearm", remove vfg and it returns to its pistol designation. As mentioned do not conceal it with the vfg attached or it will then be considered an "AOW". Changing from the pistol classification to a firearm may affect how you can carry/store it in your vehicle as a CCW license covers a pistol and maybe not a firearm due to State laws, example is some States allow a loaded pistol in the vehicle but not a firearm.

Know/review your State laws.
                  I'm in a free state. I can carry a loaded rifle in my truck.

Comment

• CJW
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2019

Things at this stage of our lives should not be this complicated

I just aborted on a build because I could not get a straight answer from the ATF....

Comment

• Lastrites
                      Warrior
                      • Apr 2017

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                      I'm in a free state. I can carry a loaded rifle in my truck.
                      Then you are good, nice to be in a free state! As State laws go I only mentioned it as some are a bit wonky, MI and TN both have some odd rules as an example in TN if I recall correctly to be a pistol the barrel cannot exceed 11 or 12"'s.

I wanted a vfg on my 11.5" but I fell short by about a 1/16", I could side step that if I added the Vltor A5 system. Maybe later.
                      Last edited by Lastrites; 02-12-2020, 04:21 PM.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Lastrites View Post
                        Then you are good, nice to be in a free state! As State laws go I only mentioned it as some are a bit wonky, MI and TN both have some odd rules as an example in TN if I recall correctly to be a pistol the barrel cannot exceed 11 or 12"'s.

I wanted a vfg on my 11.5" but I fell short by about a 1/16", I could side step that if I added the Vltor A5 system. Maybe later.
                        Yea my state is perrty laid back. Here you can have a loaded rifle in your truck and they don't consider it concealed if you put it in a rifle case, no matter if it's a hard are soft case.

I'm not really planning on putting a vfg on my pistol but I was asked about it, so I checked the atf verbiage on it and just wanted to be sure I was reading it correctly.

I did tear my apart just to see where it falls length wise. And I'm at 27 1/4 inches. So I'm legal should I choose to do so in the future. Now I can correctly inform the guy who asked me the question.

Comment

Working...
                        X