• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HoustonHipster6.5
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2021

DA Sandman S or OSS HX-QD 7.62

I want to take the plunge on a suppressor. I think I have narrowed it down to the Dead Air Sandman S (smaller than the "L" longer than the "K"). But, then I saw the OSS with its flow-through design. Looks like it may cool the can better, but am I giving up a QD mount?

I will be running this same can on my 18-inch hunter and my 12-inch running gun, both AR platforms. The Key-Mo muzzle break looks like it offers me the ability to switch between rifles easily, without gunsmithing tools.

Anyone have experience with either suppressor? The DA or the OSS?
  • Brazz04
    Warrior
    • Aug 2018

I have the Sandman S. It's a great can and extremely durable. The mounting system is one of the best. For a first can, it's pretty great because you can run it on basically any rifle and the mounting system is easy and repeatable.

After building a lighter weight form 1 can (11oz at 6"), I can't really see myself going to anything in the future that is not lighter weight. To me it really depends on how you're using it. I rarely if ever just do a mag dump through any rifles so full titanium is my go to from now on. Something like the Dead Air Nomad Ti is more appealing. I have friends with the OSS, and it's a great tough can as well, but its on the heavy side for a can of its size at 19oz. I assume that's because there is more metal used in that type of design. But my personal opinion is go light/titanium and if you do a full mag dump, just wait a bit before doing it again.

The Q silencers are nice as well and have a good mounting system. SilencerCo Omega is another great can and mount system.

Comment

• mv1arms
      Bloodstained
      • May 2019

I really like the Keymo system so I am biased to the sandman. I have the regular dead air nomad with keymo adapter. If you plan to run the can on an ar-10 go OSS because backpressure becomes an issue, at least for me. I could be wrong but I think OSS has its own QD system. Since it sounds like you are planning to dump some rounds, get the sandman for it's bomb proof durability and mounting system. You can't go wrong with either. Tough choice!

Comment

• Inspector 12
        Bloodstained
        • Mar 2021

I'm not an expert and have just started researching cans. I think the first consideration is to what kind of gun are you planning to run the can on? I am leaning towards the OSS because I plan to run the can on my SCAR 17 and my Galil Ace. One of the great features of the OSS model is that you don't have to rejet the gas system for it to work properly and not be over gassed. While the TI version of the HX QD 7.62 is lighter, I don't feel that the five ounces saved is worth $300

Comment

• AlBFresh
          Unwashed
          • Jul 2016

Ive used a SiCo Omega and a non-Ti OSS on my 20 inch hunting rifle. Different technologies make for different characteristics of suppressed sound, but both are quite
          comfortable to hunt with without earpro. The OSS is hands-down cleaner and is what I would buy again unless for a bolt gun, then I'd go with a cheaper option. The non-Ti OSS is pretty heavy so consider that if you're walking any distance.

Comment

Working...
          X