• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • keith13b
    Unwashed
    • May 2011

Suppressor Bore Diameter

I'm looking into Form-1'ing and building a dedicated Grendel suppressor because the threads on my AA uppers are not standard and I want a direct thread. I see a lot of people happy with a .30 cal can with a standard industry overbore of 0.067". I assume this is for convenience. Is it worth it to keep a tight overbore? I have read mixed comments. Some people say keep a 0.05" overbore, some say 0.06" and some say as tight a 0.04". What say the Grendel community? I understand this is a risk vs reward, but some say go larger for safety as the audible difference is not noticeable, and some say tighten it up as long as you have concentric threads, but not too tight to get a baffle strike.

I just want to build the best all around suppressor specific to my Grendel's since they all share a unique thread pattern. Assuming a perfect world, what would you do for bore size. I will add in a safety factor of my own, but what would be ideal in your opinion as a baseline?
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

I have a tbac ultra 7 can that is 6.5 or .264. Not sure what the actual diameter is but tbac advertised it as a couple decibels less then a 30 cal can. You could probably call them and ask what the actual diameter is. Some people have claimed on a semi auto the 30cal cans are more quiet at the shooters ear then the 6.5 cans but the 6.5 are more quiet on bolt guns. Im happy with mine either way.

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

Keith,

0.5mm or .02" is about industry norm for the least clearance around an exiting bullet - certainly no less. So for a 6.5mm calibre the suppressor hole will be 7.5mm. I measured one for 6.5mm at 7.7mm/.0415".

If you want to turn it into a half suppressor by widening the hole and directing more sound forward then up to you. Depends what you want to use it for.

Comment

• mel
        Chieftain
        • Nov 2019

this one is drilled for 30 cal i always use a 21/64th bit which is .328 , baffle design and spacing is more important then how tight the bore is around the bullet specially on a gas gun
        this is on a 6mm arc 6 baffles in this can shooting full power 75g bullets at over 3k fps
        Last edited by mel; 06-02-2021, 07:48 AM.

Comment

• mel
          Chieftain
          • Nov 2019

heres my other can drilled the same, on a 6.5 grendel 8 baffles in this one

also shooting a 90g full power load at over 3k fps

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
            X