• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Harpoon1
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2017

Need Help Choosing a Can

Last edited by Harpoon1; 05-25-2022, 10:24 PM.
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

62 is young lol!!!
    It's way in my rearview, but I hear ya.
    I was looking for the same kind of thing, first off get a 7.62 cal it will also handle the others, but not vice versa.

For light well-constructed and good at reducing the DB, I chose a Tbac ultra-7. thunder beast arms corp.
    The ultra 5 is lighter and shorter but also louder, all these tbac's are titanium which makes them light.
    I got the thread it onto a muzzle brake kind... not the direct thread - that one's just got a MB installed.
    So with the plain style you can get a tbac muzzle brake or even get the Area 419 setup with its 2 adapters.
    One goes into the tbac and one goes onto the muzzle, that way you can spin off and on for several barrels (watch out they get hot! when shooting).

you will still want to use some hearing protection, it doesn't "silence" all the way, just reduces down to ~130 db. this is true of all suppressors.
    Hope all of your barrels are 5/8-24 thread, that's what you'll want.
    the 556 is probably 1/2-28, I read where some guys do use a 1/2-5/8 adapter, since it's a 7.62 can the tolerance stacking of the extra adapter shouldn't be a worry. But I don't use it on my 556's.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
      Warrior
      • Nov 2018

Originally posted by Harpoon1 View Post
      I know almost next to nothing about cans but, am finally jumping in.

Will be dedicated to the Ar10, AR 15 platforms, and switching from 308, Creedmoor, Grendel to 5.56.

Priorities are

1) lightweight Pay Extra For Titanium

2) small as possible 6" to 8" Long Minimum

3) hearing safe Only Look At "At The Ear dB Numbers from Semi-Autos"
      Example the Nomad L is 125 dB at the ear on a 308 win bolt gun, BUT 141 dB for at the ear on a 5.56 ar15 at the ear. 5.56 is 16 dB louder than a 308 win!? on a log scal that is 5X louder. So always look at semi-auto super sonic at the ear. Port pop is loud!Dead Air Nomad LTi

Dead Air has a great QD muzzle break

Great place to see consistent reviews.
      Buying a gun silencer is easy with Silencer Shop. Choose from our wide selection of handgun and firearms silencers!

Last edited by Happy2Shoot; 05-25-2022, 10:17 PM.

Comment

• Harpoon1
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
        62 is young lol!!!
        It's way in my rearview, but I hear ya.
        I was looking for the same kind of thing, first off get a 7.62 cal it will also handle the others, but not vice versa.

For light well-constructed and good at reducing the DB, I chose a Tbac ultra-7. thunder beast arms corp.
        The ultra 5 is lighter and shorter but also louder, all these tbac's are titanium which makes them light.
        I got the thread it onto a muzzle brake kind... not the direct thread - that one's just got a MB installed.
        So with the plain style you can get a tbac muzzle brake or even get the Area 419 setup with its 2 adapters.
        One goes into the tbac and one goes onto the muzzle, that way you can spin off and on for several barrels (watch out they get hot! when shooting).

you will still want to use some hearing protection, it doesn't "silence" all the way, just reduces down to ~130 db. this is true of all suppressors.
        Hope all of your barrels are 5/8-24 thread, that's what you'll want.
        the 556 is probably 1/2-28, I read where some guys do use a 1/2-5/8 adapter, since it's a 7.62 can the tolerance stacking of the extra adapter shouldn't be a worry. But I don't use it on my 556's.

Comment

• Harpoon1
          Chieftain
          • Dec 2017

Last edited by Harpoon1; 05-25-2022, 10:24 PM.

Comment

• grayfox
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2017

Smaller calibers typically have smaller diameter barrels, the 12-28 means 1/2 inch threading diameter, 28 threads per inch.
            There are standard minimum acceptable barrel diameters for various threadings that can be done.
            the 6-6.5-7.62 calibers typically have a 0.700, 0.800 or so barrel diameter, that's why you use a 5/8 diameter threading and the 24 tpi is the standard threads per inch. The barrel needs enough "shoulder" (thicker than the threading) for the suppressor to snug up to. Quality barrels are done via a single-point, essentially no tolerance thread cut - grade 3 I believe it's called.

For a 556 the normal thread cuts are the 1/2-28, so if you use a 7.62 can probably you would use first, a 1/2-28//5/8-24 adapter, then the normal 5/8 can adapter. Some models of suppressor have the 1/2-28 thread-straight to the can thread (probably around 3/4-1 1/6 or something dia)... in that case you get a 5/8 can adapter/brake and a 1/2-28 adapter/brake, for the 2 kinds of muzzle threads you probably have.
            Would also point out that there are some barrels with a less typical 9/16-28 or whatever threading, so double check what you have so you can use the can where you need it.

Area 419 adapter pieces are $40, usually less than the xyz suppressor model brake... so it can save you some money. As a brake, I got to say that the Tbac brake isn't as good a brake as others I have but it works... just that, for brakes, the VG65 series has me spoiled as to effectiveness.

The tbac-ultra 7 is a 7" can, titanium. I'm sure there are other good ones too. I don't get any commissions just recommend what I found to be a really good one.

One more item, never never never use a crush washer with a can!
            "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Harpoon1
              Chieftain
              • Dec 2017

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
              Smaller calibers typically have smaller diameter barrels, the 12-28 means 1/2 inch threading diameter, 28 threads per inch.
              There are standard minimum acceptable barrel diameters for various threadings that can be done.
              the 6-6.5-7.62 calibers typically have a 0.700, 0.800 or so barrel diameter, that's why you use a 5/8 diameter threading and the 24 tpi is the standard threads per inch. The barrel needs enough "shoulder" (thicker than the threading) for the suppressor to snug up to. Quality barrels are done via a single-point, essentially no tolerance thread cut - grade 3 I believe it's called.

For a 556 the normal thread cuts are the 1/2-28, so if you use a 7.62 can probably you would use first, a 1/2-28//5/8-24 adapter, then the normal 5/8 can adapter. Some models of suppressor have the 1/2-28 thread-straight to the can thread (probably around 3/4-1 1/6 or something dia)... in that case you get a 5/8 can adapter/brake and a 1/2-28 adapter/brake, for the 2 kinds of muzzle threads you probably have.
              Would also point out that there are some barrels with a less typical 9/16-28 or whatever threading, so double check what you have so you can use the can where you need it.

Area 419 adapter pieces are $40, usually less than the xyz suppressor model brake... so it can save you some money. As a brake, I got to say that the Tbac brake isn't as good a brake as others I have but it works... just that, for brakes, the VG65 series has me spoiled as to effectiveness.

The tbac-ultra 7 is a 7" can, titanium. I'm sure there are other good ones too. I don't get any commissions just recommend what I found to be a really good one.

One more item, never never never use a crush washer with a can!
              Last edited by Harpoon1; 05-26-2022, 04:10 PM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Harpoon1
                  Chieftain
                  • Dec 2017

Mostly 12, 16, 18, 20 max.

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2018

@Harpoon1,

What did you choose?

Comment

• Harpoon1
                      Chieftain
                      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Happy2Shoot View Post
                      @Harpoon1,

What did you choose?

Comment

• DHD
                        Bloodstained
                        • May 2022

Using your criteria, pick any two (with the exception of "hearing safe"). I've dipped my leg into suppressors and the hearing safe can be a hard one especially with an AR based toy in a high pressure cartridge.

My first is a Dead Air Nomad 30 and they aren't light or small but they are quiet. In the "do anything" category the Nomad's are usually mentioned towards the top along with TBAC and a few others. I can honestly lie to myself that I need a new can for a specific purpose and "no honey, I didn't buy a new rifle". I'm getting the cans to be a good neighbor and for my own hearing health (parts of that sentence may even be true).

Personally I think suppressors are as slippery of a slope as rifles and scopes. You don't just buy the can, you also have to choose what mount if you plan on swapping it around. I will probably end up spending $$$ on DA Xeno stuff before I'm done. If one were smart (I'm not) you could just direct thread everything and never know you can spend hundreds to buy quick attach mounts you don't really need....

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                          Administrator
                          • Feb 2011

:: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Harpoon1
                            Chieftain
                            • Dec 2017

Thanks BFT.

Decided on the DA Nomad Ti but will probably grab a TB Ultra 5 also when both become available.

Comment

• Harpoon1
                              Chieftain
                              • Dec 2017

Originally posted by DHD View Post
                              Using your criteria, pick any two (with the exception of "hearing safe"). I've dipped my leg into suppressors and the hearing safe can be a hard one especially with an AR based toy in a high pressure cartridge.

My first is a Dead Air Nomad 30 and they aren't light or small but they are quiet. In the "do anything" category the Nomad's are usually mentioned towards the top along with TBAC and a few others. I can honestly lie to myself that I need a new can for a specific purpose and "no honey, I didn't buy a new rifle". I'm getting the cans to be a good neighbor and for my own hearing health (parts of that sentence may even be true).

Personally I think suppressors are as slippery of a slope as rifles and scopes. You don't just buy the can, you also have to choose what mount if you plan on swapping it around. I will probably end up spending $$$ on DA Xeno stuff before I'm done. If one were smart (I'm not) you could just direct thread everything and never know you can spend hundreds to buy quick attach mounts you don't really need....
                              Last edited by Harpoon1; 06-11-2022, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X