• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hansel&Grendel
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2017

Laser Engraving Device Recommendation

In the process for a FFL Type 7 (manufacturing license). I will have to laser engrave certain information as the manufacturer/maker of an AR platform rifle. An ATF investigator for the approval process mentioned that certain manufacturers (dealers) of lowers can engrave my necessary information in addition to their required engravings for a small fee at the time of manufacture.

However, I would also like to engrave the required information on stripped lowers that I already have or will be provided.

Any recommendations on a reasonably cost effective quality laser engraving device that meets the minimum depth requirement of .003 inch?
  • SClearman
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2023

I know this question was asked almost a year ago. I just hate to see a valid question with no answer, just thinking someone my search and find this at some point.

Having said that, what you need is a Fiber Laser. These operate in the 1064nm wavelength. With this you can engrave aluminum, titanium, carbon steel, stainless steel.. You can also do a few other neat things like mark metals without engraving, basically darken or lighten the finish. You can do the same with PMags evaporating the dye to mark them.

As far as where to get them, you can get them direct from China, as well as via Ebay as China imports but already in the US. There are of course USA companies that make them.

I have one I imported from China. It was less than half the cost of a US Manufacturer. That is unfortunate but it is what it is. Since having mine I have bought new software for it and it is much better than the Chinese software. It doesn't change the abilities of the laser but it is much more user friendly.

Hope this helps someone.

Comment

• Amish_Bill
      Unwashed
      • Apr 2017

What wattage is needed on a Fiber laser to confidently cut deep enough?

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
        Administrator
        • Feb 2011

Short answer is 50 watts.

YouTube site Laser Everything has great info.

Gavin on the Ultimate Reloader Youtube discusses his laser setup at about 10:45 HERE.

I recommend Cloudray lasers run by Lightburn software. They often have sales and good deals.
        :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

Working...
        X