• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ulmapache
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2019

SBR question

Ok, probably been flogged to death...but here goes.
    If my barrel is under 16 inches, but OAL is over 26 inches, is it still a SBR? And the other side...if barrel is over 16 inches, but OAL is under 26 inches, it it a SBR?Thx for not flaming me too bad...LOL
    Oh, is there such a thing as a permanently attached suppressor? Would that count in calculating barrel length?
    Again, thx for the replies...
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

SWS
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

There are some summaries on all these weird and arbitrary infringements listed by the Congressional Research Service

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• ulmapache
          Bloodstained
          • Sep 2019

Ok, p'raps I should not have mentioned suppressor...LOL!!! Great replies tho. So, back to the question:If my barrel is under 16 inches, but OAL is over 26 inches, is it still a SBR? And the other side...if barrel is over 16 inches, but OAL is under 26 inches, it it a SBR? As defined by the criminal gang known as the "BATF"...
          Again...thx for the replies.

Comment

• dpete
            Warrior
            • May 2016

If my barrel is under 16 inches, but OAL is over 26 inches, is it still a SBR?
            YES. SBR = under 16" barrel. It might qualify as an AOW but you would get arrested first and then sit while they sort things out.

And the other side...if barrel is over 16 inches, but OAL is under 26 inches, it it a SBR?
            NO. SBR = under 16" barrel. I may be wrong, but I don't think a firearm with a 16" or longer barrel could possibly be under 26" OAL, unless we're talking about one of the super long barrel revolvers. But those are pistols.

Comment

• mtnlvr
              Warrior
              • Feb 2019

For the SBR designation, I'd say it depends. Did this start out as a rifle, pistol, or other? Are you planning on putting a stock/brace on it?

Comment

• lazyengineer
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2019

<16" BBL and the ability to be shoulder fired = SBR.
                <26" firearm with attachments fully extended, and ability to be shoulder fired = SBR. This can be relevant to bullpups.

The two are independent of each other.

Permiant attachments that are pin and welded, extend barrel length. Note that barrel extensions (inside reciever) does not. Threaded on items secured simply by torque and loctite do not. It's basically measure by rod from closed bolt to end of barrel with all threaded or otherwise removable muzzle bits removed.

FWIW a carefully done P&W job can be quickly removed by filing off the weld and pulling out the pin, should one decide to replace or alter the item - though have a care that technically its an SBR for that short term, if it is shoulder fireAble.

Also, in case you missed it, for 10 years the ATF has said arm braces are arm braces, and aren't intended to be shoulder fired, and so are not stocks, and so such items so equiped onto complete firearms are actually pistols. This year, they changed their mind. If you already have one of such, I doubt ATF enforcement will be serious, and they are already on thin ice with the courts. However, I would exercise care building something like that anew going forward. No commercial standard FFL will sell you a complete firearm <16" BBL with an armbrace today - which tells you all you need to know on if that's a good idea.
                4x P100

Comment

• ulmapache
                  Bloodstained
                  • Sep 2019

Ok, I think I've got my head wrapped around it...I think... What I have in mind is a 16 inch barrel, normal upper and lower, and carbine length buffer tunbe for one of those "minimalist" shopulder stocks. Not messing around with braces etc. As for the suppressor, I hope to acquire something in the 4 inch range. Oh, I'm left handed, so Red X arms or maybe Stag Arms will have to supply the upper and BCG.
                  If I'm reading all this correctly, even if my OAL is over 26 inches, a 10 inch barrel will class me as a SBR...and I don't want the hassle...it's gonna be enought to get that suppressor. Thanks again for all the replies!!!!

Comment

• Klem
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

ulma,

Interested in why you prefer a left-handed AR action, because you are left-handed. Are you aware you can build full ambidextrous into AR's now: selector, mag release, slide-locking lever release, and charge handle. As a leftie I've never been hit in the head with a spent case, plus it's easy to see what's going on with the BCG and breech.

Comment

Working...
                    X