• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jdelong
    Warrior
    • Feb 2017

First Grendel Build, 18"

long time AR fan, own all flavors of 5.56 (SBR's, 14.5's 16, 18") and also .308 (DPMS GII) and 300BLK (SBR's) with a couple of 30 caliber cans (YHM). Been a lurker for a while and when I saw the Wolf 100gr hit 24 cents a round or so, I knew it was time to part with my 6.8SPC collection.

I got in on the 12" Faxon group buy and also the most recent 16" buy, but was impatient, so sold my 6.8 upper, parts, and ammo and starting collecting parts. For this, I had a lower (Armalite, used with my 18" Larue Stealth 5.56), so just the rail and optic. Been reading about the Athlon scopes, so I picked up a relatively cheap one to try out (4x14 FFP).

My first assembly is an 18" Odin Works Kit (barrel, tube, block, BCG):
    18.jpg

I have been shooting mostly the cheap Wolf at 100Y. At best, maybe 2-2.5 MOA, but there always seems to be at least one flyer in every 5 round group, maybe 2. So, I switched over to 123gr Hornady Amax for a 5 round group, no scope adjustments. right at 1MOA (likely could be better in the hands of a better shooter). Next steps are to take it out to some longer distances.

All in all, I love it; I think this might be the thing that gets me more into longer range shooting. I really like the LaRue Stealth 18" with 77gr SMK's but this thing definitely packs more punch on steel (subjectively)

Looking forward to getting the 12" and setting that up to replace my 6.8 SBR that I sold. Debating on using a Steiner P4Xi that I have versus Aimpoint PRO/H2.

Anyway, if you are lurking/waiting, go get in on the group buy, preferably the 16"
  • Redomen
    Warrior
    • Jun 2016

Very nice

Comment

• jim_bob
      Warrior
      • Jul 2014

Nice looking rifle! Sounds like it's a shooter too!

Comment

• mdewitt71
        Warrior
        • Dec 2016

good looking rifle.
        ― George Orwell

Comment

• pianoman9701
          Bloodstained
          • Mar 2017

Great looking gun. Well done.

Comment