First time past 100 yards, and long overdue Grendel build breakdown.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rmrvtr
    Unwashed
    • Nov 2017

First time past 100 yards, and long overdue Grendel build breakdown.

This past Thursday was a beautiful day at the range. 52 degrees, wind right to left 5-15mph with 20-25mph gusts, scattered showers and all. Sounds like a great day doesn't it? For March in the pacific northwest it would have to do, because it was my day off and it was long range day at the range.

Rifle was previously zeroed at 100 yards with Hornady factory match ammo, 123gr amax.

Target 1 - 300 yards:

The targets used were 17.5" shoot n see targets. (largest I could find at Cabelas). At the 300 yard firing line the target looked pretty small. Prior to this I had not shot past 100 yards so it seemed little daunting. I was hoping to get on paper before making too much brass. By the time i was set up the wind started whipping so i held on the at 3:00 on the edge of the black. The first shot hit 3" left of my hold point, it made me chuckle because after the shot hit the target because I am such a newbie with judging for wind corrections.

Target 2 - 500 yards:
    Same as with 300 yards, I was more worried about hitting paper than printing teeny tiny groups. I couldn't stop grinning, and thought it best to share the good time.

Needles to say I think I am hooked on Grendel.

To close it out here is a view from 500 yard firing line

PS Here is a build breakdown of my rifle. More photos to come.
    Let me introduce my Grendel. This is the 3rd AR that I have assembled; the first two being in .223 Wylde with 16” and 18” WOA barrels, but those are for another story. For the Grendel build I spent a fair amount of time researching and collecting components. In selecting components I tried to find a balance simplicity, function, price point and appearance. You may notice my preferences with the following brands. North Tech Defense: Has great customer service. Geissele for their well thought out components, tools accompanying instruction(s), and online videos made for straight forward installation. American Defense because the QR clamp is solid, easy to set up, and not the most expensive option out there. Magpul for the feel and versatility (the UBR looks pretty cool too). White Oak Armament for their straight to the point parts kits, and quality barrels mentioned previously above. Now for the
    Receivers:
    North Tech Defense Billet set – lower is the recent generation with relief slots in the trigger guard and has nylon tipped screw to tension for a tight fit with the upper receiver. Bolt release it has a threaded machine screw (no roll pin).
    Barrel:
    Brownell’s by Satern - 24” 1:8” twist, rifle gas system gas system and matching bolt
    Bolt Carrier:
    Brownell’s M16 weight BCG
    Gas Block:
    Geissele Super Gas Block – Stainless steel version
    Gas Tube:
    Brownell’s Rifle Length
    Lower Parts Kit:
    White Oak Armament
    Trigger:
    Geissele High Speed National Match with Match weight springs
    Grip:
    Magpul MIAD - with large back strap
    Rail/Handgaurd:
    Geissele Super Modular Rail Mk 4 - 15” – I like the easy installation with their barrel nut design (no timing required).
    Stock:
    Magpul UBR Gen 1 - locks up tight at any length.
    Muzzle device:
    Precision Armament - M4-72 Stainless with 5/8-24tpi (.308 version) –It’s noisy and throws flames in low light, but minimizes the recoil impulse to just a push.
    Magazines:
    C-Products - 5 round and 25 round. Both seem to work well.
    Scope:
    PST Gen 2 5-25x50 FFP MRAD
    Scope Mount:
    American Defense – AD Recon 20 moa, 2” cantilever.
    Bipod:
    Atlas V8 Bipod BT10-LW17 (with ADM QR mount) – for me the only downside with this model is feet rotate on the legs and moves around a bit on concrete.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by rmrvtr; 04-04-2018, 11:50 PM.
  • ClutchAutomatic
    Warrior
    • Jan 2018

I have the same barrel and found that it does not like the factory ELD-M load. I was getting 4 inch groups at 100 with it. But I did do some hand loads and brought the groups under half an inch using the same projectile with 27.4gr of 8208 XBR loaded at 2.255.

Comment

• JASmith
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2014

Sounds like the OP was well-prepared for the outing.

Good job!
      shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
      -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• rmrvtr
        Unwashed
        • Nov 2017

ClutchAutomatic,

Thanks for the recommendation. I have some 8208 XBR in the cabinet, and will give it a try.

rmrvtr

Comment

Working...
        X