• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kpswihart
    Warrior
    • Dec 2016

Pistol Complete (For Now)

Finished a pistol build this afternoon after the mount arrived in the mail. Here is a list of major components.

12" Faxon GB Bbl
    KAW Valley Linear Comp
    Aero Assembled Upper
    Midwest Industry 12" Rail
    Toolcraft Carrier
    GB Bolt
    Vortex Cantilever Mount
    Strike Eagle 1-8
    Aero Stripped Lower
    RRA 2-Stage Varmint Trigger
    SB PDW Brace

Probably do a different pistol grip and charging handle at some point.

IMG_3165(1).JPG
    Last edited by kpswihart; 03-27-2018, 03:48 AM.
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Nice pistol. I also see the the moose in your neck of the woods grow pretty big. Nice rack.

Comment

• kpswihart
      Warrior
      • Dec 2016

Thank you, Sir. Moose is pretty typical of the area we hunt. That bull was 55", I really like the long brows in that area. Here's one more, this one was 67" and change.

228643_1021244485483_3381_n.jpg
      Last edited by kpswihart; 03-27-2018, 01:52 PM. Reason: Add pic

Comment

• montana
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by kpswihart View Post
        Thank you, Sir. Moose is pretty typical of the area we hunt. That bull was 55", I really like the long brows in that area. Here's one more, this one was 67" and change.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11429[/ATTACH]
        Beautiful moose, I bet you had fun getting that big boy.

Comment

• Timmy2Knives
          Bloodstained
          • Jun 2017

Good looking build brother. Nice Moose as well. What were you shooting when you bagged him?

Comment

• kpswihart
            Warrior
            • Dec 2016

Here's a pic of the 55" bull on the ground. I was shooting a .375 H&H.

07 Bull.jpg

My bud, on the left in Post #3 above, killed the 67". I believe he was shooting a 375 Wby. I've killed several with the 375. On duty, I've killed 2 with a .223 rem and who know how many with a G22.
            Last edited by kpswihart; 03-28-2018, 04:29 AM.

Comment

• earlwb
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2017

The pistol looks good. I think you will have a lot of fun with it. You have some mighty nice Moose Hunting there too.
              Last edited by earlwb; 03-29-2018, 02:12 AM. Reason: add more information

Comment

• Bevo
                Warrior
                • Feb 2018

Very nice!

Comment

• just_john
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2012

That is the best looking gun rack I have seen in years! And the pistol looks good as well.

Comment

• BCHunter
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2018

Kps what does your build weigh? How does it handle? I'm looking at doing something similar. Thought the vortex strikefire was pretty heavy?

Comment

• kpswihart
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by BCHunter View Post
                      Kps what does your build weigh? How does it handle? I'm looking at doing something similar. Thought the vortex strikefire was pretty heavy?
                      About 8.5 lbs according to the bathroom scale. It "feels" lighter. The Strike Eagle 1-8 weighs 16.5 ozs per the Vortex website. I've only been to the range on time, so I can't comment too definitively on handling. Pleased so far and looking forward to good things from this build.

Comment

• Timmy2Knives
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jun 2017

Here's a pic of the 55" bull on the ground. I was shooting a .375 H&H.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11437[/ATTACH]

My bud, on the left in Post #3 above, killed the 67". I believe he was shooting a 375 Wby. I've killed several with the 375. On duty, I've killed 2 with a .223 rem and who know how many with a G22.

375 doesn't play. That 67" is massive.

Are you referring to dispatching other hit by vehicles?

Comment

• BCHunter
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2018

About 8.5 lbs according to the bathroom scale. It "feels" lighter. The Strike Eagle 1-8 weighs 16.5 ozs per the Vortex website. I've only been to the range on time, so I can't comment too definitively on handling. Pleased so far and looking forward to good things from this build.
                          Thanks I'm in the process of a similar build, with the only differences being 9" atlas one forearm, and the 12.7" GB barrel. As much as I love vortex they are on the heavy side, and was debating the strike eagle 1-8. I have a vxIII 1.75-6x32 that I'll weight and test how it feels.

Comment

• kpswihart
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Timmy2Knives View Post
                            375 doesn't play. That 67" is massive.

Are you referring to dispatching other hit by vehicles?
                            Most were hit by vehicles. Some suffered other injuries and some were just problem animals. We've also had a few issues with brown bears. No brown bears with the Glock though, all 375. I had a bud try to take one with a 458 Socom. Ultimately it worked after multiple rounds. First round failed to penetrate, which led to what appeared to be a charge, followed by a few tense seconds. I say appeared as the bear turned and ran up the hill towards the shooter. The bear may have just been confused and ended up trying to escape in that direction. Don't remember what bullet he was shooting. You can see the final round just under the eye, to the left of the snout.

Hnh Brown bear.jpg

This was a mature boar that caused tons of property damage. Moose and black bears have been more aggressive, in my experience, than brown bears, but the brownies caused more damage.
                            Last edited by kpswihart; 04-06-2018, 04:24 AM.

Comment

• Bearcatrp
                              Warrior
                              • Apr 2018

Nice build. Mine will look similar when completed. Took the wife on a cruise up there along with land tour. Only saw one moose, female. They are massive.

Comment

Working...
                              X