• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RMiller
    Warrior
    • Mar 2018

first rifles

These are my first builds.

Right now I only have the one complete lower.

One upper has an Anderson upper, Classic firearms 18" blued fluted barrel, cheap handguard, Anderson aluminum gas block.

The other upper has an unknown billet upper marked 6.5 Grendel from Antares Arms bought on gunbroker, cheap handguard, Anderson aluminum gas block, Shilen 18" stainless barrel.

Right now they share a charging handle and Toolcraft nickel boron BCG.

20180326_184958.jpg20180326_191603.jpg20180326_191806.jpg
  • RMiller
    Warrior
    • Mar 2018

It has an Anderson LPK and a CMC trigger.

I have another lower with an Anderson LPK that just needs a stock.

Comment

• bj139
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2017

Looks like a great start. They will surely multiply.

Comment

• Timmy2Knives
        Bloodstained
        • Jun 2017

Nice start. Get you a cheap carbine stock kit and throw that other lower together!

Comment

• RMiller
          Warrior
          • Mar 2018

I have done a little more on them, starting with adding scopes.

I put a sling stud on the stainless barreled to mount a bipod to.

The other one I put in an M&P Sport II lower for pictures. I think this one will be used in this configuration mostly anyways.

I want one for walking and the other for when I don't mind the extra weight. Both of these rifles will be used for deer hunting.

I hope to have some hunting pics with these rifles this fall.

AR pair.jpeg

Comment

• RMiller
            Warrior
            • Mar 2018

First reloads more my Grendels.

123 SST

Grendel ammo.jpeg

Comment

• Bigs28
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2016

Looks like your going to have fun

Comment

• Timmy2Knives
                Bloodstained
                • Jun 2017

Originally posted by RMiller View Post
                I have done a little more on them, starting with adding scopes.

I put a sling stud on the stainless barreled to mount a bipod to.

The other one I put in an M&P Sport II lower for pictures. I think this one will be used in this configuration mostly anyways.

I want one for walking and the other for when I don't mind the extra weight. Both of these rifles will be used for deer hunting.

I hope to have some hunting pics with these rifles this fall.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11482[/ATTACH]

If you want one to be a walking rifle, you might should consider:

Lightweight M-Lok or Keymod handguard. Cheapies can be had from ebay for as little as $20. You can spend upwards of $300-500 if so inclined to run Gucci gear. (I would not personally, but more power to you that can.)

Lightweight bolt carrier. I run one from Right To Bear arms. Can be had for $60 on sale. No bolt, just the carrier. Of course, you can spend much more on other brands like JP if so inclined.

Light-er, fast acquisition, low power optic. Something 1-4X would work. A 1-6x, even better. Leopold VX-Freedom can be had around $200.

Light-er gas block. The one in the picture looks pretty large. If you elected for the lightweight carrier, an adjustable gas block would be very beneficial. There are multiple light weight models on the market for under $100.

Of course... barrel profile would make a very big impact. But at that point you are talking about substantial change and money outlay.

Comment

• RMiller
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2018

The gas blocks are Anderson aluminum.

I have a leupy 1-4 but I prefer more power in the scope so I can see. LOL.

The one rifle is noticeably lighter than the other already.

Comment

• RMiller
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2018

It is still hanging on to winter hard here. I want to go shooting!

Comment

• RMiller
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2018

I took them out today and shot some Wolf ammo through them.

I was able to get them on enough to smack the 100 yards steel in the wind standing offhand.

I put the new Grendel group buy bolt in the AIM Titanium Nitride bolt carrier. It worked every shot in the Classic firearms barrel. I fired about 20 rounds of the wolf ammo and 5 rounds of Hornady black through it.

My other upper with the Shilen barrel works every time with the Tool craft NiB BCG but when I tried first tried the Classic arms barrel and Tool craft bolt it would FTF almost every shot.

Comment

• RMiller
                        Warrior
                        • Mar 2018

I took them out today and shot some Wolf ammo through them.

I was able to get them on enough to smack the 100 yards steel in the wind standing offhand.

I put the new Grendel group buy bolt in the AIM Titanium Nitride bolt carrier. It worked every shot in the Classic firearms barrel. I fired about 20 rounds of the wolf ammo and 5 rounds of Hornady black through it.

My other upper with the Shilen barrel works every time with the Tool craft NiB BCG but when I tried first tried the Classic arms barrel and Tool craft bolt it would FTF almost every shot.

Grendels.jpeg

Comment

• RMiller
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2018

Did some shooting today.

These are the results with Hornady ELD and Wolf FMJ's.

Classic barrel with Hornady ELD
                          classic ELD.jpeg

Classic barrel with wolf fmj
                          classic wolf.jpeg

Shilen with ELD There are two groups in the picture. 3 shots up top and 5 below after adjusting scope
                          Shilen ELD.jpeg

Shilen with Wolf FMJ
                          Shilen wolf.jpeg
                          Last edited by RMiller; 04-22-2018, 08:49 PM.

Comment

• RMiller
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2018

Shot some more today.

Classic barrel with ELD M 123 grain at 100 yards. 2.815"
                            eldx classic.jpeg

Classic barrel with Federal Fusion 120 grain at 100 yards 3.14"
                            Fusion classic.jpeg

This is my S&W MP15 223 with 55 grain hornady handloads 100 yards from the same sandbags as I shot the Classic barrel from. Flip up magpul sights. 4.93" lol.
                            mp 223.jpeg
                            Last edited by RMiller; 04-29-2018, 02:22 AM.

Comment

• RMiller
                              Warrior
                              • Mar 2018

Some other loads I have put through this rifle:

Its seems everyone who reloads the Grendel has used CFE 223 but I thought I would post the results from my barrels anyways. I worked up to these charges and to me anything less was well.....less. They were all lower velocity and at 30 grains seemed to be a light load. These are under book max still, but to me look like a

Comment

Working...
                              X